gec lockback lineup

Hi guy's and gals of course lol I just had a question I've been considering buying my first lock back by GEC. I had decided that I liked the look and the size of the 83. However before I got to buy one I heard a few knife reviews were they say alot of GEC LB have at least a bit of wiggle in them. Myself I can handle slight imperfections in my knife as fare as looks go but I hate blade play. So I guess my question is do the GEC 83s consistently come with good solid lock up ? Or is it just hit and miss?

t.willy Early pattern GEC lockbacks did display some movements. The latter patterns 83/99 show very solid characteristics and should not offer you problems. If buying from an authorized GEC dealer, I'm sure you can ask them to check it over for you. Traditional knives with brass liners, may not always achieve the tolerances of a modern super steel knife, but I don't think you'l be disappointed. Well, mine are solid anyway!

Regards, Will

I have a few GEC lockbacks, mainly 64's, but also the 72 and 99 I posted earlier in the thread. Interestingly, my 99 does have a slight amount of vertical play but it's only noticeable if you wiggle the blade. It's not a rattle trap by any stretch. Supposedly, GEC has tightened up their tolerances, but if blade play is that big of a problem for you, I would probably avoid them just so you don't torture yourself. Lockbacks are typically a strong lock, even with the wiggle in mine I'm pretty confident in them.

Scott Don't think I've seen that Elk Wharncliffe from the Cyclop's Works before. So they do exist! It's a fine handle material to mate with the stainless, looks superb. I had a 72 but gave it away, it looked good but must admit it had some issues connected with blade-play and unconvincing lock-up. I'm very pleased that subsequent GEC lockbacks do not display these negative features.

Regards, Will

Here are my three Cyclops / Elk / SS

fyyYgby.jpg

Thanks willpower and dragnet thats good edvice. I think I will pull the trigger on an 83. Like you said willpower I can always ask the dealer to check it out for me. Mind you it will have to be after I recover from The SFO binge im in the middle of :D

Back