Generosity and the Collateral Products of Searching for Old Knives!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Apr 19, 2015.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Several worthy artifacts have been located, whilst searching for that elusive antique Pocket knife!
    I have found interesting tools made or contracted by past knife purveyors, and great things made by others. Scissors come to mind! But some of the most beautiful items are corkscrews! I have dragged home several, and display a bunch in my dining room (seems appropriate!).
    Jack Black caught wind of my predilection, and scooped these up in his travels, and graciously sent them to me!! So, if the mods allow it, I'd like to start this thread in honor of all the stuff that comes home with us "pickers" in our search for knives!!

[​IMG]

Thanks for a lovely bunch of pullers, Jack!!:thumbup:

2. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    The corkscrews are wonderful. :thumbup::thumbup::)

All the stuff pictured with this old Catt came home with me, while searching for old knives. My mother had a difficult time agreeing with my reasoning for wanting the Belknap Hardware Cyclone trap. :rolleyes::D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  3. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Let's see how this goes. No promises. Perhaps it would be possible to include a knife in the picture? Maybe even of the type of knife you were searching for when you found the non-knife item?

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This is something that I really like.
    I too collect bits and pieces when looking through Antique Stores for knives

While travelling all weekend - taking mydaughterto Wellington university - I stopped into several antique stores on the way - came home with no daughter- found a huge Hencmells twins ( quite old ) knife steel that the shop had labeled as British AND two corkscrews

5. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Always like seeing that mousetrap, Rob!

Can't wait to see your gleanings, Duncan!

Here are some KeenKutter objects found during the hunt for interesting cutlery, including a sweet Jackknife!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. clutchcarter

clutchcarter

Dec 11, 2011
    Those skizzers (that's what my Grandpa called them) are neat Charlie! Is that a punch? Nice knife too!

7. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Yep, number 6 hole punch.
    The scissors are quite beautiful - nicely forged! Glad you like 'em, clutch!
    The scissors and punch all say Simmons Hdwe on the reverse.

8. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    I found my Boker cabinet in an Antiques barn last year. They had some pretty nice Case stuff there too.

[​IMG]

I love that Keen Kutter knife and other KK stuff Charlie. I should have made a key when I found that 1 of 1. :eek:;):D

There were a couple old guys selling all kinds of antique Keen Kutter knives and stuff at the faigrounds sale here last summer. I got star stuck on an old IXL knife and bought it instead. I am hoping they come back this year. I remember an antique Keen Kutter wooden box and tray that I really wanted. Shoulh have, could have ......... :eek::eek::rolleyes:

They must have had a couple hundred Keen Kutter knives. Too many knives, so little money !!! :eek::eek::eek::D

I think I need to make a similar walnut wood TC cabinet with carved TC logo on the top. Can Barry carve, I wonder? :confused::confused::D

9. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I always come out with neat little trinkets that I just can't pass up when searching for knives in pawn shops/garage sales and the like. If you want to see them you'll have to come out to my garage---Nanc lets me keep them there:eek::D

Here's a couple of older Pen Lights, I really like the graphics on the "Ceramic Fuel Filter" one---love old flashlights:cool: Also pictured is a "Fuller Brush" letter opener that was made in the USA and a 7" Keen Kutter Scissors:thumbup:

Pictured with my Forum knife:)

[​IMG]

10. philllll

philllll

May 23, 2013
    I came across this old Keen Cutter butter knife while searching for slipjoints. For just a few dollars I couldn't pass it up. It's still a knife (barely) but not my usual fare. The craftsmanship is beautiful, with carved pearl handle and fancy bolsters. A nice little oddball addition to my collection.

[​IMG]

11. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    Really like the trinkets Paul and the knife. Thanks for the post. :thumbup::thumbup::)

Philllll - Beautiful E.C Simmons and the stamped blade is wonderful. :thumbup::thumbup:;)

I saw a full set of John Primble ISW tableware with ivory handles at an antique store. The work on them was much like yours. I wanted them, but, eventually passed. :eek:

12. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    Those SKIZZERS are fantastic...Ive found a few trinkets whilst searching for the Grail..Nothing of great value,interesting to me anyway.From stone tools to a cool bronze dog....The green box is NZ Army circa WW 1 or earlier methinx?.It has prosthetics painted on it,leather handles etc..I would be interested if anyone can identify the 2 trinkets hanging on the skewers ?.....Great thread Charlie................................Fes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm glad you're pleased with the corkscrews Charlie, I managed to find another for you on my travels yesterday, just uploading pics of my loot now :thumbup:

I must admit I find it hard to pass up just about ANYTHING that's old and interesting! :D

While yesterday's pics upload, here's another recent one showing a few finds ;)

[​IMG]

I also found this old axe (and the knife) in the week, has a nice historic tang-stamp :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice old mousetrap :)

Hope she settles in OK Duncan :thumbup: Sounds like you now have an excuse to be in the area my friend ;)

Nice Charlie :thumbup:

14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Something I found back was some old magician's coins, milled-out British pennies which fit together, known in the trade as 'unexpanded shells'' :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an old gent's travelling shaving brush, which is stored in the hollow handle.

[​IMG]

An interesting gas cigarette lighter I found recently.

[​IMG]

Here's some other bits & bobs. The lighters and tape-measure are in a box of stuff waiting to go to Paul Hilborn. Sorry for the delay Paul, I'm just looking for another item I'd like to include in your care package ;)

[​IMG]

15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Photobucket has spoken at last! :grumpy:

Here’s a few things I picked up yesterday, shown with a lovely knife which the good Mr C sent me recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a few more pics to upload, which is happening with the rapidity of drying paint, so in the meantime, here’s some earlier trinkets.

I thought these flower shears were quite nice :)

[​IMG]

Some old Sheffield sheep shears, made by the firm where one of my great grandfathers worked before being killed on the Somme.

[​IMG]

Nice old cheese dish.

[​IMG]

This beautifully-made saw-set is one of the nicest tools I’ve found, came in the original box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought this Lady’s Reticule was a great find.

[​IMG]

I can’t remember who these tea knives went to. I find it incredible that I still find really old cutlery, boxed and unused :)

[​IMG]

Here’s an old children’s cutlery set.

[​IMG]

This Joseph Elliot Carving Set has certainly been used, but is one of the nicest I’ve yet come across I think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can never resist buying old steel rulers, like this one.

[​IMG]

I found this very old Lunette still in its original sheath.

[​IMG]

This antique pocket compass, made by F.Barker & Son prior to 1875, was a star find for me.

[​IMG]

16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I picked up a couple of interesting old pamphlets yesterday, shown here with another knife Charlie sent me recently, which I'll show elsewhere. Very exclusive etch :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found this nice old box yesterday, and I got the Joseph Rodgers Quill Knife in the week.

[​IMG]

Another box. Now I just have to find someone with the initials J.A.H. :D

[​IMG]

Got this old bread knife yesterday too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Here's an item I couldn't pass up:

[​IMG]

It's a gold tester.

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow, fascinating r8shell, how does it work?

19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    The tips are different karats of gold. You draw lines with them on a stone, along with the gold you are testing. Then compare how they react with an acid.

[​IMG]

Only the very tips are gold, but it makes a funky cool pendant. :D

20. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Here are a handful of early harness makers tools that I bought at auction about 45 years ago. They were from the
    first harness shop in Sutton West Ontario, opened in 1835. There are over 40 pieces, these are a few that I use every day.
    All are American made. The draw knife is the best i've ever seen, you can see the wear in the handle from many years of cutting harness straps.

Best regards

Robin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]