Generosity and the Collateral Products of Searching for Old Knives!

Whoa, rehandling the Buck with the ivory would be incredibly cool, Rachel!! :cool::cool:
Even if you couldn't do it yourself, I'll bet you could entice one of the folks around here who could do it to do so in exchange for some of your Ma Jong rods! (Do you have just the 5 shown, or a whole bag full?)

- GT

EDIT: Charlie Othello is the trade Mark for Anton Wingen Jr. I have owned many of their Fixed blades, they are a Top Solingen Cutler firm, I now only own a matching set of Three "Bowies" from A.Wingen Jr that sport the Othello Mark, a 15, 13 and 10 inch Stag handled Bowie set. The quality is right up there with Puma.
The small knife is often called the Jadgmesser (sp?) and is sold by itself but also accompanied at times the larger hunting and beautifully decorative Hunting swords called Hirschfangers.

I must apologise Charlie as I did say I would put some photos up of a few objects I scored, and to be honest...its been a whirlwind since then, so heres a catch up, I really LOVE the the odd bits and pieces we come across while searching for yet more treasure, whenever I come across Kitchen knives, Carvers...I am attracted like a magnet to steel, so anyway here are a few things I have picked up on my travels of late.....

The Antiques shop had this as English, I immediately spotted it as an early J Henckels Twin Works - this Sharpener or Steel is massive and it's fairly old, it would be safe to say this was in the right place being an Antique store...

Its always interesting to see the interest people show in early Corkscrews - and for good reason, some of the early stuff is quite neat..I am always looking, but here are a couple I picked up the other day..

I saw this C.Johnson Flag knife the other day, I ALWAYS am a fan of the earlier Checkering of the handles, and to be honest I have never seen a C.Johnson fixed blade like this one before, I used to own tons of Bowies, Fixed blades and was always looking through every avenue to find them, this one has SCOUT KNIFE etched, alongside the CJ Stamping, and I like the knives this Cutler Firm produces, and like I said - havent seen one like this so I picked it up :eek:

The Handle certainly isnt Ebony as the knife is very light, so I take it that it is Bakelite..lets be honest the knife isnt any special, but something again a wee bit different than what you find everyday, and although its not the best knife in the world, I thought it was kinda cool :cool:

Another Sheffield knife I picked up- again nothing special, but again because of the markings on the blade I picked it up as I am a fan of the bigger early Stampings - New Zealand being a farming Country - well we get a LOT of Skinners such as this, but not the early pinning or interesting stamping of the blades like this...

I also collect Carving knives, Carving sets now and then, any old Kitchen big knife - so one day soon maybe that might be a great thread to have start up - again I must find the time to take snaps.

Really like the Scout knife!

Whoa, rehandling the Buck with the ivory would be incredibly cool, Rachel!! :cool::cool:
Even if you couldn't do it yourself, I'll bet you could entice one of the folks around here who could do it to do so in exchange for some of your Ma Jong rods! (Do you have just the 5 shown, or a whole bag full?)

- GT

I just have the five, I'm afraid. Maybe I'll find someone who wants to work out a trade. They'd be welcome to the remaining three at the very least. :D
I might have to search around for an even smaller knife, as I'm just now measuring the rods at 1 millimeter too narrow. I think I have a teeny tiny Boker around here........

OK..........Take a deep Breath, Charlie Sir - I hope this is ok to LOAD up your thread with this, i have been thinking...and on the verge of starting up a Kitchen Knife / Utensil Thread - then you started this and I thought...mmm this is THE Thread that must contain all that I wanted in the Thread of my thoughts- and more!!!!
So, If I may start to add a few bits and pieces...
I have always loved Carving Sets - as in the Roast Dinner sets, lately I have been buying a few bits and pieces as I just cannot seem to take my mind off the Kitchen Knife scene, in fact I have to be careful as its getting to be quite intense lately, so heres what I have been buying lately, I have bought (what to me) are mighty buys - take for instance a stunning set of KEEN KUTTER Carver and Fork - a beautiful I*XL Stag set, I also have just bought ( but not received yet ) a Stag handled Joseph Rodgers Carving knife, Fork and Steel set as well.
As well I have managed to get a very early Primble dinner knife, and a couple more early American knives - I would safely say Civil War period - and I just LOVE early pieces like this - sure they arent sets, but I still admire the single knife.........lets go.......( please forgive some TERRIBLE OUT-OF-FOCUS photos!!! Im not too sure whats wrong with my photo-taking lately - very poor :grumpy: )

Nothing Special, but the Stag is - or will be nice after I have fed it with bees wax etc, the polished Stag ends show a magnificent colour, the blade has lots of marks, one day I will rectify this..

A nice very early Coca Cola Ice Pick...just something different......

A early C. Johnson Western Works Carver ( I love this Sheffield Cutler )

A very early Primble Indian Steel Works dinner Knife, sounds kinda silly - but I love this stuff......

Another neat pair of early Dinner Knives by Lamson and Goodnow - again nothing special, but just neat old fashioned Table Cutlery that is ....well just very cool if you ask me,.... but take a look at their very very cool stamping on the blade :cool: :thumbup:

Sheffield Hexagonal Steel - neat Old Handle...

Case XX Kitchen Ham Knife - never used, with Original Sheath - interesting Gold Leaf Advertising on the Sheath, the Knife- Ebony Handled and dead MINT........

Just a plain Bread Knife - but I couldnt walk away from it because of who's name is etched on the Blade in such a nice manner......

Just a single Stag Handled Carver - wow...this knife fills the hand :eek:, a great piece of Stag......

A very Old and very beautiful Carver - I use this knife a lot!!! sharpens to scaplel-like sharpness!!!

A fantastic find for me, this twin piece set is a KEEN KUTTER Carver and Fork, and OH man does it have some seriously nice AND BIG Stag!!! just EVERYTHING on these Cutlery pieces screams beautiful!!!!

Out of focus- as in terribly!!!!! sorry folks...

Just a couple of older Bread Knives, interestingly shaped handles and one knife in particular has beautiful Stamping...so again sucker me had to go home with them :eek:

Now here is a very nice complete I*XL set, smack-dead gorgeous Stag, lovely Ferrule work, even the case is super cool with a wooden platform bed for the set to sit into - even down to the neat old Clasps .... good ol' attention to detail -with a good dosing of Quality.....

Here is a Carver and Steel that honestly shook me when I opened the package, I bought these on the local auction site some time ago, and the photo's were shocking!!...so blurry I could only tell that the blade had a nicer early shape to it, so I took a chance, ended up paying a couple of lunch sandwich prices for these two - these are incredible, the Stag is presentation Grade IMO, the detail work to the Silver work with the Celtic designs is just magnificent - Oh man I love this pair...

WOW....

Fantastic finds Duncan, I wish I could send you more of this sort of stuff (long story - British post office/courier shennanigins), but you seem to be doing very nicely in your own my friend. Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labour :thumbup:

Those are some fabulous pieces, Duncan. Thanks for the show.

Thanks guys, heres another very old Thomas Wilson Sheffield set, I kinda loved this set - not because its a minter-because its not - just the old styled Blade, and the Horn...it was just cool, so....when I got home it was in my car lol...

And another Stag handled set was the James Butler - Sheffield set, nice Stag......

Fantastic Duncan, glad to see that you're managing to get your hands on some great Sheffield cutlery :thumbup:

What a gorgeous collection, Duncan!! There are some beautiful pieces in there.
They come from a era when carving the Sunday roast was an honored ritual!
I think those times were less rushed than today's hectic scramble.
Those sets remind me of when our family was thankful and at peace!

Thanks for sharing that cutlery with us, Duncan!! I for one tend to pass by stuff I can't fit in my pocket, and you have given me a new appreciation of what traditional cutlery can be!!

Corkscrews%20Jack%201_zpsmhdvcmdn.jpg

Thanks for a lovely bunch of pullers, Jack!!:thumbup:

Charlie, I ALWAYS knew you were just a little twisted ;) what a nice collection there ! your house must be a joy to walk through! Looking forward to seeing you at GEC in a couple weeks sir!
G2

GREAT collection of carvers Duncan ! :thumbup:
The stag sets are out of this world!!!

Dave

Charlie: Charlie: great collection of corkscrews! Formidable indeed, And it's interesting to notice the similarities and subtle differences.

Duncan: what a great collection of cutlery! I bet you could spend a lot of time with those in hand examining the workmanship of the steel and the fittings. The Celtic knot work around that Eureka is exceptional!

Thank You gentleman for the kind comments, I just love the Eureka Carver and the Keen kutter sets - Oh also the I*XL set as well, in my kitchen Drawer I have a lovely set of Sheffield knives gifted from jack, I love to take these out of the box and use them - especially if we have the family all together or friends at Lunch time.
I also have some beautiful Stag knives and Forks - so I must get some snaps of them and bang them in here.

I posibly suspect what you are thinking by saying.."What the... is he collecting all that up for"? ...to answer that - I dont know :eek:, I am thinking that one day I will sort through once I have amassed a house full - pick out the good bits and display on a nice wooden backing in a part of the kitchen if that can be done tastefully? The problem being the display may have to be the length of the Hallway lol:D

Gary - those Corkscrews are awesome of Charlies arent they! I too pick them up if I can - but for some reason the nice ones dont surface much around here!

Duncan -what is the really dark stag on those handles-is that dyed or some hitherto unknown species of deer or perhaps like my nanas teak handled carving knife simply years and years of accumulated gunge and grime? Mum gave it to me to sharpen and When I cleaned and lightly sanded the handle it revealed the beauty of the wood beneath.

Jack I wouldn't worry too much about the state of affairs for red deer in New Zealand-As a matter o' fact that they stole the red deers from Scotland or somewhere and let them go in the lush paddocks of NZ where due to a much better diet and healthy fresh air they grow to twice the size of their forebears . Similar in fact to the European human immigrants to these countries who for the same reasons after a few generations stood head and shoulders above their great great grandparent s in stature. The men who "organised" world war one thought it would be a good idea to send these strapping six footers out first into the killing zones of Belgium and France because their imposing frames would scare "the hun" into submission. History tells us that this wasn't a very good plan (and thats putting it nicely) and thus the ANZAC legend came about.

Dyed my friend, we Kiwi's never steal, we like to think of it as Long term friendly leasing.
deer used to roam the lands of New Zealand - before Fes was Born :eek: :D

Thank You gentleman for the kind comments, I just love the Eureka Carver and the Keen kutter sets - Oh also the I*XL set as well, in my kitchen Drawer I have a lovely set of Sheffield knives gifted from jack, I love to take these out of the box and use them - especially if we have the family all together or friends at Lunch time.
I also have some beautiful Stag knives and Forks - so I must get some snaps of them and bang them in here.

I posibly suspect what you are thinking by saying.."What the... is he collecting all that up for"? ...to answer that - I dont know :eek:, I am thinking that one day I will sort through once I have amassed a house full - pick out the good bits and display on a nice wooden backing in a part of the kitchen if that can be done tastefully? The problem being the display may have to be the length of the Hallway lol:D

Gary - those Corkscrews are awesome of Charlies arent they! I too pick them up if I can - but for some reason the nice ones dont surface much around here!

Jaws-Quint2-14-600x313.jpg

Gunna need a bigger house,Chiefy.

Back