Giveaway Knife: Design thread

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey peeps!

I'm going to ask a series of questions, and your answers will direct the design for this knife.
Please feel free to answer with as lengthy an answer you like, or post images which show where you're coming from. Regardless of how you approach my questions, feedback is the name of the game here.

Let's get started with this design, shall we?

First question;
-What will/do you use a small fixed blade knife for, and would/do you prefer to carry it around your neck, in your pocket, or on your belt?

Very Nice Lorien, Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!!

Personally I use a small fixed blade for every day tasks that most people I know would use a folder for. I have started carrying a small fixed in place of a folder most of the time

I carry mine most of the time in my pocket but like the option to be able to carry it in different ways. If I go into the woods I prefer to neck carry but in town I prefer it to be on my belt or in my pocket

I rarely carry fixed blades on my person anymore sense I usually already have my firearm on my hip and a folder in my pocket. I like to carry a combination of a large blade and a small blade in my pack. Usually the small blade is dedicated to food tasks and I prefer it to have a satin finish. I actually almost always have two small fixed blades. One for raw meats and one for other edibles.

A little more than you asked but it might make my answer a little more understandable.

I tend to use small fixed blade EDC knives for the usual common tasks—opening packages, slicing fruits and vegetables, trimming cordage, cutting steak, whittling, and the like.

I like to carry on my belt, but I'd like the flexibility to carry around my neck or in a pocket, so a good kydex sheath with multiple carry options would be perfect.

I rarely carry fixed blades on my person anymore sense I usually already have my firearm on my hip and a folder in my pocket. I like to carry a combination of a large blade and a small blade in my pack. Usually the small blade is dedicated to food tasks and I prefer it to have a satin finish. I actually almost always have two small fixed blades. One for raw meats and one for other edibles.

A little more than you asked but it might make my answer a little more understandable.

this is good stuff you guys, keep it up :)

when it comes to pack carry, would you keep it inside or outside your pack?

this is good stuff you guys, keep it up :)

when it comes to pack carry, would you keep it inside or outside your pack?

I usually keep the big knife attached on the side of my pack and then the smaller knives inside one of the smaller pockets. I do keep an attachment system on w.e sheath it is in to allow for belt carry if I find myself using the knife often. Usually when the knife is being used often, Im camped and the pack is not on my person.

I love leather but because my smaller fixed blades are used for food prep, I keep them in kydex for ease of sanitation.

I enjoy all types of knives and especially small fixed blades. Pocket sheaths are nice and preferred over neck knives usually but a waist sheath that can be mounted like a cross draw or horizontal on the waist is ideal as well. I would like a knife that comes with a waist sheath and a inside the pocket sheath that is good for when you want to be discrete. I use fixed blades for everyday tasks and it is nice to know it will not fail on you because of strength. Handmade fixed blades tend to be less expensive than handmade folders so I am more likely to use it or be able to afford one (I carry a graham razel utility quite a lot). Something about having a hand made knife especially a small fixed blade is very cool and can give you a story to tell, I also think they have character so I love to carry and use them.

I usually keep a small fixed blade on the strap of my pack when I'm in the woods. It's surprising how often I use it.

front pocket carry, would be used for any task I would use a folder - which includes scribing lines for marking as well as limiting tear-out when sawing a board, whittling, cutting open boxes, etc...

seems like developing this knife will require developing a sheath as well...might be at least as important as the knife design methinks...

I like a small (3-4) drop point or a "tactical" wharncliff fixed blades with a hip sheath (pouch style if leather or anything kydex) for edc. If you want I can draw some thing up or post what I like to carry.

I use a small fixed blade for EVERYTHING. Im not much into folders, so my neck knife gets used for it all, from food prep, opening packages, whittling, cutting fishing line, cleaning fish, making kindling, as a steak knife, as a stirrer, or anything else that may come up... If the knife will do the job, it gets used.

I prefer a neck sheath for smaller fixed blades personally. Just easy to access, doesnt hog up room in my pockets or take away area from my belt. Plus if its a cool looking setup it makes a great looking necklace.

Here is an example of my EDC neck knife now. I was using the BK14 in this setup but recently switched to the BK24. Its a bit heavy, but has the knife, firesteel, and even a flashlight. Plus it looks nice hanging from my neck and gets used a million times a day, the flashlight gets used just about every night as well.

Small fixed blade? Makes me think of fuzz sticks and slain fruit and veggies.

Pocket carry. I have been looking at ML knives squarish leather sheath, easy to drop in front pocket for a small 2.75 - 3 inch blade. I think you are absolutely correct, some thoughts need to be considered for carry options. I guess the point is that it needs to be easily accessible as well as secure for the knife. The knife would be used for everyday carry and tasks such as opening mail and boxes, maybe just plain opening lunch wrappers on food (processed food for lunch, of course). Eventually I want to use mine for for food prep when camping. I have not tried to use it for steak at a restaurant, something I do not think my wife would want me to do in public. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I am biting my tongue here, I will not be giving advice or in put on this because I want it to be built on all of your ideas and suggestions.

Maybe David Brown should offer up some input on a sheath, I know he and I have discussed a Kydex sheath that can be worn as a necker, have a TekLok put on it for your belt or pack strap and a small "Hook" that will allow pocket carry where when pulled from the pocket you can hook the pocket with the sheath and the knife pulls free with one hand....

I have not tried to use it for steak at a restaurant, something I do not think my wife would want me to do in public. Just my two cents.

My fianceé is at least as likely to pull out her own belt knife, if their steak knives are dull. :D

I also just wanted to chime in again, on the topic of blade shape (not sure if you'll be addressing that later), I tend to prefer a good drop point. I've found that to be by far the most all-around useful blade shape.

I am biting my tongue here, I will not be giving advice or in put on this because I want it to be built on all of your ideas and suggestions.

Maybe David Brown should offer up some input on a sheath, I know he and I have discussed a Kydex sheath that can be worn as a necker, have a TekLok put on it for your belt or pack strap and a small "Hook" that will allow pocket carry where when pulled from the pocket you can hook the pocket with the sheath and the knife pulls free with one hand....

Now that sounds like a great sheath design there!! And i have some of Dave's Kydex and love it. he really does a great job!!
My fianceé is at least as likely to pull out her own belt knife, if their steak knives are dull. :D

I also just wanted to chime in again, on the topic of blade shape (not sure if you'll be addressing that later), I tend to prefer a good drop point. I've found that to be by far the most all-around useful blade shape.

I prefer drop points as well.

let's not get too far ahead of ourselves! Design aspects will be discussed in their own time.
I think I have enough to go on wrt carrying this knife.
Next page, next question...

Back