Giveaway Knife: Design thread

Can't wait to see the final out come
And I would say yes to jimping

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan to me. Jimping? Yeah, I like fine line jimping and Ryan does it right. As for thickness, I prefer thin blades. I use my knives for cutting and thin just cuts better in my opinion. W2 sounds perfect to me.

Thanks to everyone that has participated in this portion of the GAW! We have had some great input from the few of you that looked at this thread (46)... We are still in the design phase, if you have features you would like considered now is the time to speak!

I would love to make this a limited run and get them into the hands of those that want one. Once the knife is unveiled, I will have a price and ETA for those that are interested in purchasing one, the more interest the cheaper the run!

Great news!! Id love to get one after i dont win LOL

Ryan I think it would be really cool to have the limited run blades marked with serial numbers and the year.

As years go by maybe people get an extra entry for each of the limited run knives they have in their collection.

Thats a pretty awesome Idea really :thumbup:

I like that idea too!

at 1/8 or 5/32, I'm interested - at 3/16, that's going to be a pretty steep primary at 1" height, even with a full height grind.

I'm gonna try and get Ryan to use a new-to-him grind which will make for a wicked slicer.
1/8" is where we're headed, and the blade is actually about 1 1/4" wide so this little unit will be laserlike in the cutting dept.

I got a sneak peek at the direction Lorien and you are all headed in this design and it is looking SWEET! Lorien always throws curve balls at me with his designs (Usually to challenge me). While we are talking grind, I would like to hear what thickness at the edge you would be interested in (Before the final edge is put on)? I know Lorien will have his feelings but I would like to get an idea what people like in a knife this size (0.025" - 0.010" ?)

Also I have taken some advice from a few makers about covenxing more around the tip to keep it thicker stock. This helps to prevent "Tipping" since I tend to use this size blade for prying out Arrow tips from tree stumps.

Last edited:
I prefer cutting performance, 3" to 4" blade, full tang, and I like a choil, or a way to choke down on the blade for finer cutting.
I like G10 scales, and a satin or vertical rubbed finish.
All my knives are users, but I take good care of them and don't like scratches on the blades if possible, so I prefer leather sheaths.

we're getting close to settling on the final pattern for the most part. The profile seems to work out for the most part, now it's figuring out the details.

Next step is to design sheaths. While I'd like to design something that does it all, and I do think it's possible, I think what I'm going to do is design a leather sheath for neck and pocket carry, and a kydex one for IWB, tecloc and lashing points.

How does that sound?

I would use a small EDC fixed blade as an everyday tool !!! and would prefer to carry it in my front pocket....The only fixed blade i ever carried as an EDC was the CRKT ringed razel and it worked out to be a really great everyday work knife ...I used it in a weld shop for years cutting and scraping everything you can think of. I also used it in the yard building things etc,etc,etc,....The sheath was kydex and had a pocket clip..the retension wasn't good at all but it worked out really good that way because the knife was very easy to remove from my pocket...I just wish the knife had better steel..but it was by far the best work knife i ever used,it really was !!!!

Materials....??? maybe a tool steel type , Something that can take a beating..as far as handle material I like G10 but im thinking of a hard use knife something a blue collar guy can put in his pocket and use as a tool...

Last edited:
I think Lorien has the pattern down, I have not seen the final design but am looking forward to getting a Glimpse! I will do my best to get it done in a timely manner so you all dont have to wait too long to see what your suggestions created!

haha, oops! I'm going to mail you those hatchet blanks from Seattle when I go to the show there, and I'll put the pattern in with them. I have some ideas about the sheaths for it that I gotta put on paper yet.

I spent a little time last night figuring the sheaths out.
One is designed for neck, iwb and pocket carry, and it's designed to be made from leather.
The kydex sheath can lashed, tecloc'd, iwb'd or neck worn. It will have a removable belt mount system as well.

I think this is going to be a nice package. Want one m'self!

Back