Going Away Giveaway!

In recent days I've tried to take some stock of how I've been spending my time and money and I realize that I need to reprioritize some things in my life in order to better love and serve those around me (my church, my family, the folks I work with, etc.).

One of the changes involves spending less time looking at and buying knives. As much as I have come to love and appreciate the folks on "The Porch," I have been forced to realize that my time and money are precious--especially the time, but often filling up the time requires some money, too. I had to ask myself questions, like, "What would have been a better use of time: spending thirty minutes on BladeForums or Instagram, or chatting with my wife, or playing a matching game with my daughter?" Please know that my own convictions about my time apply to myself, and are by no means intended to reflect upon how others spend their time, especially here. But every one of us must make choices about the time and resources we have been given, and, for myself, I know where I ought to be making changes.

That being said, I don't know to what I extent I'll be gone (it won't, I imagine, be for good, but who knows), but I do want to say how thankful I am to everyone who has welcomed me and made the time I have spent here so excellent.

Since I have been the recipient of a great amount of generosity, hospitality, and encouragement from the folks here I want to give back a few of the knives I've been given as a direct result of BladeForums, and specifically, "The Porch."

Here's what I'm giving away:
View attachment 1141366
Top: a GEC cocobolo white owl that @traumkommode gave to me. Andrew has been a Porch companion who I've been glad to have some contact with outside of just the forum. We've shared a lot of knife love, and I've really enjoyed his knife modifications.

Middle: a Weidmannsheil scout knife in stag that I won in a giveaway by Campbellclanman Campbellclanman . Duncan is a gentleman and very generous fellow, as many of you know even better than I do!

Bottom: an Arthur Wright & Sons "big'un" lambsfoot in horn that I won in a giveaway by @Jack Black. In many ways, The Porch wouldn't be The Porch without Jack Black. He has singlehandedly (it seems to me) popularize what has become my favorite knife pattern: the lambsfoot. The Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread has exploded, and not in small part because it encapsulates all of the best aspects of "The Porch" in one thread.

I'll be going out of town for work later this week, and then on vacation with family, so this is going to be a really short giveaway--I'll pick one winner who will get all three knives on Monday afternoon/evening and ship the knives out to the winner on Tuesday. Here are the rules:

1. You must be a paying member of Bladeforums.
2. You must have at least 50 posts in in the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades Forum.

Disclaimer: If you win but cannot get me your mailing information before I can mail the knives on Tuesday, it will not be possible for me to send the knives until early July.

If you do not wish to enter the contest but would like to express your thanks, please do so by nominating a member who you have been encouraged by, and who you think would enjoy receiving the knives.

Certainly your posts and companionship will be missed (hopefully just temporarily!). Time is precious, and it's good you've recognized the need to prioritize!
This place will be here when you can swing by!

A great and generous giveaway! If I win, please give to JohnDF JohnDF

Best wishes in all your efforts!

I give you a big ol' forum high five! Any choice that gives priority to family is a good one. :thumbsup:
Drop in and say hi, when the time is right.
I would like to throw my hat in the ring for a chance.
Thanks for your generosity.

It's been a pleasure Joshua and you will be missed here on the porch. Your reasoning is rock solid. I wish you God's speed my friend. I also would like to enter for GT (5K QS). Thank you.

Count me in on this generous giveaway!

Like you, I have been thinking a lot about the time I spend online, and have slowly been cutting back. I used to frequent a number of knife/gun/hiking forums, but I have whittled it down to the porch with only an occasional glance at a hiking forum. You are correct, time with family is far more important than anything else.

It's always a good choice to spend time with family when you can. I hope you find the peace and happiness you seek.

I'd love to be in on this very generous giveaway. Thank you for the chance.

You will certainly be missed around here. Your presence has been a boon to the forum.

I always feel like I should abstain from the GAWs, since I have had more good luck than anyone deserves, but I have to be in for this one. I know someone for whom that White Owl would be perfect. The Scout would be a great prize to have in my annual scout knife GAW. And of course I want that lambsfoot for myself.

So I am in.

Sorry that you feel the need to take some time and space away, but I understand your choice. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you will always be welcomed back to the porch.

Priorities, it's always priorities in everything we choose to do, be it what we eat or drink...maybe too much or the wrong stuff...or knives that we really don't 'need' but want.

Good on you for seeing this and attempting to straighten out your path ;)

And the Lamb's foot would be cool to, so yes, I am in and thank you for the opportunity!
G2

Come back anytime.
Very generous GAW- you could go and take your knives with you!
I don't dare to enter, because I just won two gaws in one day. If I have any luck left, I want to save it for Publishers Clearing House.
I nominate @5K Qs .
Jolipapa Jolipapa 's post might be the theme for my next gaw: would you rather be killed by Barbara Carerra or Luciana Paluzzi and why.

Last edited:
Nearly 3,400 posts Joshua JTB_5 JTB_5 - and you are off with new perspectives and purpose. And to boot, you are starting your "hiatus" (we hope you will at least visit from time to time) from BF with grace and generosity. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

I'm happily in on your GAW. Thanks very much. All the best to you. I'd wish you luck but not necessary - your intent is all you will need.

Ray

I'm in. This is a subliminal message. :D;)
View attachment 1141729
I was thinking of this movie only today...mainly because it has the worst theme song of all the Bond films.
I totally understand and respect your stance.
The way you put it is thought provoking. Thats always a good thing. I have lately been thinking along similar lines...do I need so many pocket knives? No of course not...but I like them . Similarly I get pleasure from the porch comradeship in my sparetime ...
Thanks for the gaw and Im in...please dont be a stranger....tempus fugit.
Cheers

Back