1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going Away Giveaway!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JTB_5, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Just started a new regiment to try and help curb my knife buying, it's the Nifotine patch, the theory is it slowly puts steel back into your system that must be missing from your blood.

Now, there is controversy, should they use carbon made screws or stainless steel screws, there are two camps of thought regarding that ;)

There is a small note on the patch that does say it is not intended to be a cure for anything but, it's worth a shot :)

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

2. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    GREAT ONE Gary! :thumbsup: :D:D

Ray

OLd_gUY, Pinemoon, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  3. ohen cepel

ohen cepel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2002
    In please. Understand wanting to shift things in your life for a bit. Take Care.

TFBraden and JTB_5 like this.
  4. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Thanks for this very generous GAW. It's always good to reprioritize what is important in life.

5. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Hope to see you here again. I'm still enjoying the Le Thiers you sold me and I hope you keep your appreciation for French knives. Take care!

Zieg

OLd_gUY, TFBraden and JTB_5 like this.
  6. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    I’m in. I understand the context, and may be doing something similar in the future. But not today. Thank you for the GAW.

7. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Joshua, congratulations on your re-prioritization, and best wishes on putting it into practice! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
    I'm glad I came to Blade Forums relatively late in life (shortly after I turned 63, I think); I can't imagine fitting BF into my life in a meaningful way back when I was younger and much more involved in my daughter's school and music and skating, in hosting weekly "care group" for a small group from church, in trying to get our house the way we wanted it, and in a much busier phase of my career.

I hope you'll be able to stop by The Porch occasionally to update us on your family, your students, and you're knives. ;):thumbsup:
    Thanks for your articulate announcement of your plans, and for your generous "goodbye GAW". :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

OLd_gUY, tmd_87, TFBraden and 4 others like this.
  8. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    I’m in. This is a very generous giveaway. I truly hope you enjoy your time with your family and friends!

9. navaja

navaja Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2005
    I too, have spent way too much time and money on my knives. I'm considering a break as well, and I applaud your will power.

I'm in, thanks.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Vince. Very kind and thoughtful.

Pinemoon, meako, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  11. Behr95

Behr95 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm in. You sound like a man who has his priorities straight. Thank you, sir.

JTB_5 and TFBraden like this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Not an entry.

JTB, I understand just where you're coming from!

Over the last few years, I've been cutting way back on the time I spend on the 'net in general. I don't know how much time I left on earth, but the time that I can spend with my family has been extremely more precious to me. Or time spent out fishing or just exploring with my best friend/partner/co-conspirator in life for almost 50 years. My collection/accumulating days are now long past and, just abut everything I own now has a lifetime warrantee.

This forum is about the last place on the net I come to, only because I feel like its a kind of family. The people that make up the porch are as good as one can find anywhere, and I will continue to drop in just to see who's doing what and window shop at the nice knives pictured here. Good luck on your journey of life JTB!:thumbsup:

13. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Sometimes we all have to step back a bit. As much as I like my hobbies, family time is precious. I know I've been focusing on other things lately too, so I'll wish you all the best.

Great knives in this GAW.

OLd_gUY, JTB_5 and TFBraden like this.
  14. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    I would love to be counted in on this. I do not have any of those patterns. The lambsfoot is especially awesome! Congrats on the revelation though. I try to keep my BF time limited to downtime at work which has been scarce the last few months.

JTB_5 likes this.
  15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I'm honored that some members "nominated" me to receive Joshua's GAW prize if their "name is drawn". :):thumbsup: And Joshua explicitly encouraged such behavior:
    But I started thinking about this, and there are possible paradoxes that can arise! :eek:;)
    I assume that chains can occur: A nominates B, B nominates C and then if A is the randomly chosen winner, the prize would actually "land" with C. Seems very orderly. :)
    What if A nominates B, and B nominates A? Does this create an infinite loop in which the prize never lands, and poor Joshua is stuck with his knives?? :oops:

Joshua, are you sure you want to spend LESS time at a place which provides such thrilling intellectual stimulation? :p

- GT

16. Cutfinger

Cutfinger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Count me in please J.

Michael

17. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Joshua, I have enjoyed your presence on the forum. Your contributions are always thoughtful and well stated. I can appreciate your reasoning for re-evaluating your priorities. Family time is precious and important for all the reasons you have stated. I wish you and yours all the very best. Maybe someday you can drop in for a visit. I am in!

18. t.willy

t.willy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2016
    What a generous GAW thank you for the opportunity. I'm in and if I'm actually lucky enough to win twice in one month I'll be passing them along to 3 well deserving members of the Porch. ✌

19. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    There is Iron (with high chromium content) in your words Chief Ten Beers.

I dont feel bad at all ...apart from the porch I only use the internet for tv and the discernment of questionable facts.
    My family have abandoned me to my fate.

So like a hideous gargoyle I sit it out.When I walk past Churches the doors slam shut and the candles blow out..Wodoo I care.? Look what your god has done to me....30 years of firefighting..and loneliness the reward? ..am I in the grip of depression?
    Yes.
    Thank you for being my friends.
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Embrace your Faith and may your God go with you.
    I nominate @The Shatz

OLd_gUY, 315, JTB_5 and 6 others like this.
  20. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Please accept my entry.
    You are offering generous gifts. I am hoping for the lambsfoot since that is a bandwagon I've been wanting to join but other knives keep getting the attention and $$.

Knife collecting and the internet is certainly a slippery slope. It's good you realize you need to catch yourself and hold on before you slip away from things more precious. Thanks for this GAW :thumbsup:

meako, Prester John and JTB_5 like this.