• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Gold member perks?

Are there any advantages to being a paying member for buying?

Being a lowly Registered User can make buying a pain because of the lack of PM’s. More often than not I have to send a profile post, and then send my email to exchange the private information. The people I’ve dealt with gave me no slack over it, though. And most sellers leave their email address in their thread for such instances. If you wish to converse before the “I’ll take it”, you might lose to someone with the ability to PM.

If you’re a person who buys a lot I’d probably go down to Basic, but I don’t really buy a lot so thus far I’ve been ok.

At the moment, I’m more of a buyer. I paid for the membership for access, but have missed out on 2 opportunities so far to non-paying members, since Friday, so I’m seriously questioning my decision to pay.

The PM feature is handy. I also like to be able to directly load pictures without going through a hosting service.

People with paid membership have more skin in the game. Therefore they are generally perceived to be more reliable or in the very least a safer bet for transactions. Whether it’s a correct inference to draw or not, I can’t say.

I do know I tend to be more at ease when dealing with paid members on the exchange. I am also more likely to accept a lower offer on a sale to a paid member.

Last edited:
I do enjoy those features afforded to members. The site seems to be run well. Maybe my beef is with narrow minded sellers? We’ll see how it things go moving forward.

At the moment, I’m more of a buyer. I paid for the membership for access, but have missed out on 2 opportunities so far to non-paying members, since Friday, so I’m seriously questioning my decision to pay.

I do enjoy those features afforded to members. The site seems to be run well. Maybe my beef is with narrow minded sellers? We’ll see how it things go moving forward.

Seems like you're sore over missing a couple deals. Thats just part of the knife buying game unfortunately. At least here you have a better chance at scoring a deal than on reddit. I saw the threads and sellers you reference, the one guy seems a little nitpicky on who he sells to, but it really is up to the seller who he decides to sell to.

To be clear, the main reason you buy Gold (other than supporting the awesome community) is so that you can sell and you can ask about value on pieces you own. You aren't buying yourself a purchasing advantage, though some folks like one you dealt with prefer to use PMs which non-paying members can't use.

I'd also recommend looking at other threads for general sales etiquette. Posting "Still available?" is not necessarily going to snag you the knife, most sellers want an "I'll take this" which I would post even if you're not sure it's available. Welcome to BF.

Seems like you're sore over missing a couple deals. Thats just part of the knife buying game unfortunately. At least here you have a better chance at scoring a deal than on reddit. I saw the threads and sellers you reference, the one guy seems a little nitpicky on who he sells to, but it really is up to the seller who he decides to sell to.

To be clear, the main reason you buy Gold (other than supporting the awesome community) is so that you can sell and you can ask about value on pieces you own. You aren't buying yourself a purchasing advantage, though some folks like one you dealt with prefer to use PMs which non-paying members can't use.

I'd also recommend looking at other threads for general sales etiquette. Posting "Still available?" is not necessarily going to snag you the knife, most sellers want an "I'll take this" which I would post even if you're not sure it's available. Welcome to BF.
Thank you for the reponse. Still learning, so this is very helpful.

You can also watch a specific forum for new threads, i.e. a specific sales forum. Not sure if a paid membership is required to do that or if anyone can.

I mainly keep a paid membership for the ability to sell and to PM. I don't post my email, to avoid scammers and spam, so I need the ability to PM.

Back