Got an Import by Mistake

I just received a 3OT that I purchased from eBay. The photo showed the old "Old Timer" badge on the front, so I didn't think anything about it. Imagine my surprise when it came in a Taylor Brands box! When I looked closer at the photo on eBay, I saw the clue that I should have picked up on in the beginning. The tang showed "Schrade" and nothing else. My bad - next time...

Anyway, rather than return it to the seller (who by the way, made no false claims in the add, and I don't blame him for my negligence), I decided to enslave this little POS to my toolbox in the garage. Instead of living in a place of honor (like my pants pocket), it will sit in a dark and dingy toolbox drawer, and will be sentenced to "hard labor" as I abuse it as often as I can by cutting rope, stripping wire, trimming wood, cutting rubber hoses, and busting tie straps. Serves the little imposter right!!!

Funny how people react differently to the same situation, I had the same thing happen, I bid on a little Uncle Henry keyring LB series.

I was bummed when it came, but then I took my old one off the keys and put it away now I have the Taylor Brand to beat up.

It's amazing how much difference there is between the two when it comes to F&F.

How long have those little keyring LBs been outta production?

Still in all, more and more Schrades are showing up on eBay like that and even though the seller didn't make false claims, he wasn't clear on it being a Taylor Brands Schrade.

Watch out for the seller who provides you with a genune last production run certificate with his chinese knives too. And the guys with the "100th Anniversary 1904-2004" etched chinese knives.

Codger

An American flagged clampack. And I fell for it. A $19.33 tent stake. Oh, but wait til I review this one.

ME: Please tell me I did not just buy a chinese copy of a Schrade with and American flag on the package?

SELLER: You have purchased a knife made by a very reputable Chinese company and sold through the Schrade brand. I can tell you that you purchased the knife at a cost that is very close to Wholesale.

:mad:

That totally sucks when you end up with the fake stuff.
I think Taylor should be embarrased putting the U.S. flag on his commie made rip offs.

Kap

That just ain't right. When I see that kind of lettering on the box/package I run and never look back. :(:(

I think I read somewhere that Stewart Taylor's mentor was Parker. The flag was a purposeful intent to decieve. And it worked. Another $2 chinee knife sold. No, I'll not cancel the sale. But as I mentioned, look for a review of this one. And memorize that packaging. I'll post a full scan of the card when it arrives.

CodgerGRRR!:grumpy:

Unscrupulous sellers are doing the same on Australian Ebay Not mentioning where they are made and describing their collector merits! I collect genuine Schrades and got caught with the quick bid on a closing item>This one had horn scales and had part of the horn coming out at right angles from the scale.So much for the quality control,Not, of course the imperfection was not photographed.It is deceptive conduct hiding true country of origin whilst always showing the U.S. flag in the advert.I always contact a buyer just to let them know it is Chinese and not U.S. and invariably they cancel bids. I only do this when you see the imported item being hotly contested by buyers at collector type prices and invariably they cancel bids and are appreciative of the knowledge which has purposely been witheld by seller.Hoo Roo

This was a "down to the wire" bid. I made a quick assessment of the fuzzy picture (text not readable, and photo'd on an angle) since the description was purposely very vague:
Schrade Old Timer Tough
Gorgeous quality fixed blade knife
Leather Sheath
Measures 7 inches long
New in Sealed Package

I could not withdraw the bid in time, but had hoped that by sending the seller such a note, he might be willing to offer to sell the knife to the second highest bidder. No, my bid was nowhere near wholesale for this knife, not even for an original Schrade Sharpfinger back in the day. It was about double the wholesale price, which would be double TBLLC cost, which would be double the manufacturer's cost. Schrade typically made 10-23% margin on production Sharpfingers. So the "near wholesale price" line is false. How else could other sellers on eBay list them with a buy it now price of $16.99, or $19.99 with free shipping?

I could press the issue of deception, but I try to uphold my end of a deal, even when the deal turns out to be a raw one on my end. I'll turn this lemon into lemonade by doing a "Show-N-Tell" with it here to hopefully prevent someone else from making the same mistake. My review will be a painstaking side by side comparison with the real Sharpfinger knife, packaging and all. As always, I will be bluntly honest with my appraisal, and leave comments about international politics and shady business practices aside (in the review, not in this spleen venting).

Those horn knives are some of the ones I was refering to as being sold with last-run certificates now. It is a shame that sellers stoop to such tactics to make a buck, but there have been Carnival Barkers in the knife business before, so one should not be surprised by all this. Heck, the importer himself sold Klu Klux Klan knives and "Bill and Monica" cigar knives. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Sorry if this offends any of Taylor's friends here who read this, but it is the truth.

I"d bet Taylor would pay double to get that knife back and to keep this rant from coming.Can't wait.Arnold

Last year I got caught by a last minute bid. I was just browsing through the "ending soonest" Schrades when I saw a 5UH. I wanted a user so I bid & got it. I got bit. Codger got bit too. I think it happens to most of us sooner or later. I guess we are in good company. :D :eek: :D

Dale

Mine is a 15OT.That gives me two,the 15OT and a LB7.Michael is kind to call them tent stakes.I don't think they would last very long.Shows you the greed of some people and the sellouts they are in bed with.Lying to sell something is theft.Sorry didn't mean to start this again.Arnold

Codger_64 said:
I think I read somewhere that Stewart Taylor's mentor was Parker. The flag was a purposeful intent to decieve. And it worked. Another $2 chinee knife sold. No, I'll not cancel the sale. But as I mentioned, look for a review of this one. And memorize that packaging. I'll post a full scan of the card when it arrives.

CodgerGRRR!:grumpy:

Codger:

I am disappointed that you are casting dispersions on someone that has passed on to their great reward (whatever it may be). Mr. Parker is dead so why bring him up in this matter?

I am a Schrade dealer, and I know for a fact (because I called Taylor Brands) that when Taylor assumed the company he originally used the graphics designer from Schrade. This was explained to me to have been an oversight on the part of Taylor, and not an attempt to deceive anyone. I believe that I was the first person to bring this issue to Taylors attention, and he agreed with me 100%, and promised to change the packaging. I know for a fact that he has done this, because I just received a new shipment from them, and the U.S. Flag is not on the boxes or clam packs. If this was an attempt to deceive, Mr. Taylor would not have accepted a phone call from me, nor would he have made these changes.

I would appear that you have one of the first production runs of these knives. If you truly want to do an un-biased comparision, then look at the new issuance of knives (post graphics change). Is it possible that YOU can do a un-biased comparison.

For your interest, my sales rep has given me current news that new Schrades will be made in Tennessee and also Taylor is backing a new factory in Pennsylvania. So you will see the Taylor company expanding into manufacturing in the United States.

I don't want to drag up the worn out topic of U.S. vs China products, etc. Like it or not, Schrade Knives and the brand are being carried on, and you will see people collecting these knives whether they are made in China or in the U.S.

Best regards,

MontanaSteelMan

I've a pretty good eye for taylors, but got burned too. Then again, I've always wanted to heave a golden spike around, but wouldn't abuse one so, now I have a "heaver."

MontanaSteelMan said:
Codger:

I am disappointed that you are casting dispersions on someone that has passed on to their great reward (whatever it may be). Mr. Parker is dead so why bring him up in this matter?
It is regretable that Mr. Parker is deceased, but that is the lot in life of every man. We can only hope to conduct ourselves during our lifetime in such a manner that when our time has come, people will remember us for our positive contributions, not the negatives. My reference was in regard to a marketing method which appears to be common to both. I did not know Mr. Parker (or Mr. Taylor for that matter), so I can make no comments about them as persons, only as their history in business indicates. I am sure they are/ were both fine gentlemen. I do not agree with the business practices of either. If calling attention to those business practices (as I see them) is dissapointing to you, then so be it.

MontanaSteelMan said:
I am a Schrade dealer, and I know for a fact (because I called Taylor Brands) that when Taylor assumed the company he originally used the graphics designer from Schrade. This was explained to me to have been an oversight on the part of Taylor, and not an attempt to deceive anyone. I believe that I was the first person to bring this issue to Taylors attention, and he agreed with me 100%, and promised to change the packaging. I know for a fact that he has done this, because I just received a new shipment from them, and the U.S. Flag is not on the boxes or clam packs. If this was an attempt to deceive, Mr. Taylor would not have accepted a phone call from me, nor would he have made these changes. I would appear that you have one of the first production runs of these knives. If you truly want to do an un-biased comparision, then look at the new issuance of knives (post graphics change).

Well, first off, as of 2004, there are no Schrade salesmen or dealers. Imperial Schrade Corporation is no more. You are a Taylor dealer, selling his imported knives marked with the Schrade name. Fine. I can accept that. What I cannot accept is that TBLLC spent untold dollars on packaging for their imported product without first approving the artwork for the packaging. That defense doen't hold water. Yes, he has changed the packaging, and the package I got tricked into buying (my bad, not Stewart's) is likely a collectable "first production run". Though I do not know of a single collector of modern chinese made knives, regardless of the brand stamped on it. I am sure he got wind of a lot of angst over the flag on the packaging, possibly even from complaints to the FTC, and I am glad the he, for whatever reason, has made the boxes and clampacks more readily identifyable.

MontanaSteelMan said:
Is it possible that YOU can do a un-biased comparison.
If this is a question and not a statement, yes, it is possible. You evidently have not read the comparisons I have already done on the TBLLC products here, always with the genuine article the TBLLC knife or tool was copied from on hand. In every instance, the chinese copies were very poorly made in both fit and finish. The best I could say is that they resembled the U.S. made Schrades, until one is allowed a close comparison.

MontanaSteelMan said:
For your interest, my sales rep has given me current news that new Schrades will be made in Tennessee and also Taylor is backing a new factory in Pennsylvania. So you will see the Taylor company expanding into manufacturing in the United States.

That is good news. I understand Arrowhead/Mr. Hall is a good manufacturer of United's American made product. Don't know about the company he has picked to SFO for him in Pennsylvania though. Is TBLLC building their own factory and getting into manufacturing?

MontanaSteelMan said:
I don't want to drag up the worn out topic of U.S. vs China products, etc. Like it or not, Schrade Knives and the brand are being carried on, and you will see people collecting these knives whether they are made in China or in the U.S.
I guess that on this point we shall just have to agree to disagree. I can see where since you have a dog in the fight (a financial stake) you would promote the chinese copies as genuine "New Generation" Schrades. I understand that better than you might think. It does not mean that I agree with it though. Had someone bought Imperial Schrade, the whole Banana (the way the seperate cutleries were purchased by the Baers), and then continued to operate, or moved the location and reorganized (as Albert did Imperial), then I might consider some continuity was involved.

IF, as a TBLLC dealer, you want the successive generations of chinese (and possibly U.S.?) TBLLC knives and tools reviewed here by me, then send them to me. I will not waste another dime on these knife-like objects (on purpose anyway). If you will take the time to read my reviews, you will see that I leave politics and personal prejudices about the origins out, and do a good job of sticking to the facts. If you can refute the facts I posted in those reviews, I invite you to do so.

Codger

MSM,

If what you hear is true, then that is not bad news. Too much lately are we seeing American companies going under, and manufacturing going to places like China. If the quality of the work was good, that wouldn't be half bad, but all to often, it is mediocre at best. So the first goal is to keep jobs in America.

Manufactured in TN and PA? Great, as long as the quality we have come to expect from Schrade is there. If not, it is just an imposter IMO, and to "pass" these off as "Schrades" is disrespectful to the memory of a great name in Cutlery.

Glenn

MontanaSteelMan said:

Best regards,

MontanaSteelMan

People who do not know the history of Schrade, or understand loyalty, or tradition and what it means to have real collectables might. I won't.
A wine collector won't buy a $5 bottle of wine and add it to a collection as something to be proud of. They won't even consider a $5 wine as something to drink.

Back