Got an Import by Mistake

I'll try to put this in simple terms so you can maybe understand my dislike for the new knives.I was given an new model LB7 as a present.When I opened the box and unwraped the knife the pins fell out of the handle on one side.When the knife was taken back to the shop where it was purchased we found they were so proud of them they would not give a refund only swap for another LB7.Took this one home and it was junk.If you read Codgers writeup that was the knife.That is two for two that were worthless.I can understand a slip in QC once in a while but it looks as if they have none.What make you think I will ever trust the Taylor name again.I have a few Paki knives that have came my way over the years.They are junk but at least they look good.These new LB7s can be spotted if you know knives but the bulk of the public dont know how.If their first experience is with one of these then they will think all Schrades are junk.That would be a shame.As a "Dealer"do you sell other Schrades than these or are you locked in to the Taylor mades.If so do you make a distinction.Arnold

I do not make it a habit to jump into an arguement between two grown men, but I thought I might be able to add something to this thread. I come to this forum to learn and share my passion for collecting original - NY made Schrade knives. I wouldn't waste two cents on a tool I didn't think would stand an honest days work. However, if someone likes these new Chinese made Schrade/Taylor knives - great! They can buy all the ones the rest of you get stuck with when unscrupulous sellers get over on you... I don't think anyone should be berated for having an affinity for crap. Sell him your crap and be greatful someone wants it!

It's like when the band Journey went back on tour without Steve Perry. Heck, they even got a guy that kinda looked like him and sounded like him.

But it just wasn't the original Journey. The same songs (patterns). The same name (Schrade). But the quality wasn't there. Was the band just trying to make money off the name, or were they interested in putting out quality music? If quality music, then why get a Steve Perry look-a-like? If they were so interested in the quality of the original Journey, then why not get Steve Perry?

What does this have to do with Schrade? Not much, but it's the best I could do.

Taylor was not interested in Schrade the corp., only the name and patterns. I have no issue with someone wanting to make a buck. However, if they were serious about making a Schrade quality knife, they would have found a way to make this happen stateside. Only when faced with a backlash from discerning buyers did they rethink things.

I can buy Rough Rider knives by the truckload at great prices, and the quality isn't horrible, in fact, it's not bad. But I won't go out of my way to buy those while there are still good quality, American-made knives available.

BTW, I won't be buying any new Journey albums anytime soon either...

Glenn

delander said:
where I was raised, even the youngest knew enough not to drink downstream from the herd, or, to suck on yellow snow!
ROFLMAO :D :D :D :D
You are so right Del. Sounds like this feller is new to the country life. I grew up in the mountains of Oregon, without telephone or electricity, until 1968, about the time I started my senior year of High School. We didn't buy cheap knives (in those days cheap knives came from Japan) because they broke and then we had a herd of calves to castrate and no knife.

When Mr Montana has his chinee LB7 fold up on him and cut his finger to the bone when he is trying to field dress an elk 40 miles from the nearest town, lets see how he sings the praises of chinee Schrades and Mr Taylor then. :rolleyes:

Seriously, when discussing the merits of letter openers, I don't think it matters too much where they are made. If one fails in their task you throw it away and get a knife. No one is hurt. When a serious tool, such as an LB7, fails it can lead to injury and leave you unprotected, not to mention that you now have a large animal that you can't cut up to pack out......and it is attracting predators. The elk probably won't be there when you get back from town after having your finger sewn back on.

In survival situations the failure of a primary knife can be disastrous It can leave you injured or at least defenseless. It is kinda' like flying to the moon in a spaceship built by the lowest bidder. If Mr Montana wants to buy cheap chinee copies of real Schrades, that is his problem. This might be a case of Natural Selection. :eek: :D :D

Dale

Natural selection! Must be it! There was something un-natural about this whole thread! Obtusity, ignoramusness, I-must-be -right-because-I'm-me-ness! Not much cure for any of these, just darwinian dead ends!
Good call, Dale!

This is more Stephen Goulds Impromptu Mutation.Darwinenion Evoulation would have eliminated this genius a long time ago.Arnold

I feel so left out of this conversation................Because I ain't NEVER bought or been tricked into a Chinee Schrade. I have emailed a seller or two and told them where I'd put the knife IF it was not PURE USA, NEW YORK, bred and born SCHRADE. ....and now I've missed my chance to participate in this thread with you guys. But I guess I can display old fashioned sympathy and be part of the group that way.

Paul

PS Don Luis, is the gentleman who won the election still President?

No, the recent elected presidant of Mexico. Dewey was the Govenor of Arizona.

El Rey

Edited for Schrade content: Dewey carried a Schrade.

G'Day from Oz, Re my post genuine 170T mint received with a substitute third rate reconstituted leather and cardboard Taylor Chinee sheath.It occurs to me the next trend with these snake oil sellers will be to buy the fake sheaths send with the real McCoy knife and then start selling new genuine sheaths on some sort of secondary market on Ebay.
Tip:You will not only have to ask questions about the knife but also the sheath as being genuine before bidding.The sheath I received besides smelling more like a Chinese Chow Min instead of the rich Schrade genuine article appears to have a cardboard like liner to bolster the thickness.There is no doubt in my mind this crap is being produced not to give reasonable service but simply to resemble but not be,the Real McCoy.How many sheaths are being ordered by these sellers right now without the tent stakes I mean knives,with the full intention to sell both the genuine articles in separate transactions. I have over 600 positives on Ebay and my only negatives 3 have been retaliatory from scum sellers who didnt send,took my money and resold the item for more.Ebay does absolutely nothing and will not even remove your retaliatory negative warning others.Therefore if I leave negative on this transaction warning others I will get a negative stating I never asked if the mint sheath was the one that originally came with the mint knife.
This Deerslayer sheath even has Schrade x2 on the silver clip identical to the Real McCoy but no other markings just the el cheapo rivets and the smell of Willie Pong Long! Its a jungle out there.....Hoo Roo

I say screw'em and flame them in feedback! I have hundreds of transactions and 2 negatives, from a blithering idiot. Put up a good complaint and a good rebuttal, and people can tell the difference about who's the thief!! Read mine: frnorth on ebay!! Then read the sellers. He's fooled a lot of people, unfortunately. I fought and got my money back from Ebay! They make it hell, but I didn't give up! Now it's Paypal ONLY, unless I know the guy; much better protection.
Lesson:Cash or check only, no refunds, and blurry pictures = bullsh*t!

I am coming to the same conclusion Waynorth.
I did get one chi-schrade, but it was my fault, I didn't read the fine print.
I had one seller the other day who charge for UPS shipping and then shipped by Post. Then he shipped me two knives instead of the one I won. It cost him about $7.50 to have the two shipped back to him, & he did credit my PayPal. :D :D

Most of the people I deal with on ebay are honest and some like Phil, LT, Ron, Dennis, Del, Redtrout, richardtexemp and others are ones I would like to set down with, have a cup of coffee and shoot the bull for a couple hours. There a couple I would just rather shoot! :D These I note and never buy from again.

Dale

Back