Got any customized Schrades?

I've sent a few out to be customized with some stunning results. I know it's not for everybody and can certainly respect that. But I would like to see what others may have. Here are some of mine:

A Schrade Walden 136 worked by Kaleb (aka Muskrat Man)
Hawk1.jpg

HawkVine.jpg

An LB3 with black micarta handles, red liners, and fileworked backspring, also by Muskrat Man. I LOVE this one and use it as my favorite EDC.
LB31.jpg

LB32.jpg

A couple Schrade Walden 175 pruners by Muskrat Man
Pruners2.jpg

Here's an LB7 with some beautiful stag and filework by Bob Picklesimer.
LB7Stag1.jpg

A 194OT with blue jigged bone handles by Bob:
194OT.jpg

And here again is the Tennesse River Trapper he removed a broken blade from:
TRTSingle.jpg

Dave

Nice work on those knives, Dave. Well done pictures also!!

Dave: Nice thread idea and beautiful pictures and knives. I thought this recommendation of Dales fits in with this thread, and I expanded on it and your idea Dave. I think this could be a nice high traffic thread for a while.

There was name for that sort of work on the backsprings & liners.
It was called "jimping."
It goes back to the Schrade Cut Co time (IIRC). I have seen similar working on Camillus knives as well. I imagine Schrade also used it on SFOs also, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head.
It might be worth a thread of it's own to show knives (especially Schrades) with jimping.
Dale

Great idea Dale. I have several knives that fit that category. It reminded me of this flyer showing a Special Edition Program. Maybe examples like some shown in there would fit in this thread too.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r...mages/1993-Special_Edition_Knife_programs.pdf

I have seen a lot of these discussed here from time to time. In flyer it shows five jimping patterns. And what Schrade also called "Engine Turned".

I encourage every one to look at this link on Larry V's fine website, and contribute customs or Special Editions into this thread, if they have customizations similar to what you see in this brochure.

Recently, Roland had a C641 that had scrolled bolsters, and in the last few years I've seen a lot of knives in this forum that probably were more from this program, and would not show up in catalogs.

Additionally, a program like this would have lended itself to many unfinished or incomplete knives that came out of projects like this that had some work done and ended up being released during the end of days or otherwise.

I have several knives I will contribute tomorrow, with jimping, filework, and a couple of Muskrat Man customizations.

Last edited:
Good idea, Hal! The oly one I have that I know of that has the jimping is a GDOT Barlow. Will have to dig it out for pics sometime. When I do, I'll take more, and better, pics of my 518SC and 167UH that Dale customized.

Here is a rehandle MM did for me a couple years ago with explicit orders not to touch the blades. The handles had been burnt and 1 was missing. I love it.

Custom-2OT.jpg

61OT smooth elk scales

61OT_f.jpg

61OT_b.jpg

Almost look more like mammoth ivory

Last edited:
858OT with Georgianni etch, silver shield, and engine turned springs. Serial number 060

858OT_f.jpg

858OT_sp.jpg

Fileworked liners as well

Last edited:
Engine Turned Examples "Jimping" with fileworked liners
34OT The straight jibbing is Schrade Walden, the other a Schrade NY

34ot_sp.jpg

Last edited:
All very nice there, thawk! I really like the 123OT and 124UH! May have to send my "lightly used" 124UH to Kaleb for some work with a couple other knives I'm mailing to him soon! I like that elk!

The camera I use is a Canon A710IS with a 6X lens. 7.1 MegaPixels. Plenty of horsepower for this kind of work, and the zoom helps for doing good closeups after I get it on the computer, and the IS, which is Image Stabilization, helps compensate for shaky photographers hands. It was a $200.00 camera two years ago. Now I could get as good as results with a similar $120.00 to $160.00 Canon camera. Maybe better. I like that Daddy Barlow GM. I have the delrin version. The bone version sure takes it up a notch.

GM,
I use a CASIO Exilim EX-Z700. It's 7.2 megapixels and has a macro mode. I really can't tell you any more than that because I have no clue where the book is any more. But it works well enough.

Dave, I really like the LB7 and the pair of 175's very nice work there!

Thawk, the stag on the 123OT is awesome looking, great job on the filework also.

Russell

Here is mine, the yellowhorse is the pride of my LB7 collection. Im sure others others are around but its the only one Ive ever seen, unlike the Buck 110 model yellowhorse.
CopyofIMG_4088.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one that is very special, to me at least, as this ( 14OT Oldtimer ) was never put into production in a white sawcut delrin. This is one the knives I have hung on to for a few years now and she came from the big box of knives I purchased that were from the Schrade Sample Room in Ellenville.

The smooth white delrin handles and the whole knife are orginial and have been dressed up to my liking by my all time great knifemaker friend, "Roy Carter " When I pulled this one from the sample box, the Sawcut delrin handles were all scuffed up and the Old Timer shield was missing.

( Uh Oh, wait a minute now:I know some will say, I should have left it that way to preserve history so if that is your opinion, I respect that, but my choice of preserving this piece of history can be seen in the pics.)

Sorry my pics do not show the great detail in the free hand scroll work that Roy put on this one.

Attachments

• Summersales 044.jpg
    Summersales 044.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back