Gransfors Bruks vs. Wetterlings?

I carry a smaller fixed blade (Busse game warden) and one of those pocket chain saws. I am buying the hatchet out of necessity. The saw is great for bigger stuff, but the hatchet is perfect for small diameter kindling. Too big for the knife, too small for the saw. Fills a great void.

Remember I would only be using it for probably 4 " max. What Ive read, the Gb goes through that like butter. Saw would too, but is pain for cutting up a lot of firewood, as it works better on one big piece.

Not a big fan of carrying a monster knife in the woods. Unless there are Zombies around ...

Gotta watch out for those Zombies! HAHA

Some of the Husqvarna heads are made in China that´s why they are cheaper
And now the heads thats still are made in Sweden are made by Hults Bruk
Cegga

Find that hard to believe cegga. The heads on the latest Huskies have all the hallmarks of being forged on a Wetterlings forge. Where is your evidence of this?

Not sure on the weight. It really depends what you are going to do with it. Weight is a good bad issue. Too light and it will not be very good or at least extremely limited. Plus the length is another huge factor. I have not used these small hatchets yet. But my take is this, at just over 10" a hatchet that weights 11oz i going to have an extremely limited application or at least it would seem. I could be completely wrong on this. But, even one that weights 2x that, at that length it will only be useable for somethings. But more weight in the head will make things easier...chopping and hammering, pounding...etc. I could be off but I would soon carry a bigger knife. 7"+. More uses. I think it would be far more versatile. I would be curious how an A2 vs Mini hatch for chopping would compare even an A1 Fallkniven. This is Apples to oranges but batoning is like splitting, chopping is chopping....so the uses do overlap and can be achieved by both without much sacrifice.

You seem like weight is a big factor. I just think at such a small size for a hatch and light weight you amount of practical use is very low. I could be off because my camping axe is 19" and it is pretty good for a lot of stuff but once again limited so I still carry an A1 and a folding saw (Bahco). To be honest I could skip the Axe on many of my trips. I have taken a Sven Saw and my A1 and never missed the weight and the limited use of the axe but the 19" is capable of a lot. If every oz counts I would re-evaluate the Hatchet. It size and weight limit its use compared to something else that you could carry that could do a very similar task. Just my $0.02, I might be off so feel free to make change. HA

I agree about the 19"-20" axes in that sometimes they are too heavy for the capability. I have a Council Tool 26" Hudson Bay axe that only weighs 9 ounces more than my Wetterlings 20" Bushcraft axe but has much more capability and splits with about twice the power. I can take the hudson axe and leave my saw at home if I want as it chops through logs faster and easier than I can saw'em. I use mine for late fall, winter, and early spring treks here in the high elevation forests.

crazy thing, in sweden the Gränsfors axes are actually cheaper than comparable wetterlings. around 75 usd for the gränsfors small forest axe.

Back