Grayman Dua folder!!!! Wow

I can understand why so many of you are skeptical of his edges. Knives have had the typical smooth looking sharp edges for god knows how long and here comes Grayman with something different, of course people are gonna question this! They re unique and I like them and they cut like a SOB!

It's not a bug, it's a "feature."

Marcinek i ll shave your legs with it! lol! I ve actually emailed Mike Grayman and invited him to come on here to explain his product! I as well wonder what do I do when it does need to be re sharpened? Think I might send one of my Dua s to Richard J and see what he thinks and have him put it on his paper wheels! Although I do like these "working" edges I d love to see one of these beauties with a nice polished up edge!! Actually just tried shaving hair off my arm and you guys win, it will not shave hair! But it will tear through rope, cloth, cardboard, even stabbed an old door and cut it up pretty good! Fact is its one tough SOB with a different edge that hopefully the maker will explain in his words!

No thank you! :D I wax.

It does look like one heck of a stout knife and I'm glad you like it (ultimately that's all that really matters). Something just strikes me as "fishy" about that "edge philosohpy" they are pushing at Grayman.

I think you bought an overpriced knife! Bwahahahaha! Just kiddin'.

Dont think Grayman is gonna join us here but they did email this! "We never try to convince anyone on a forum. We DO try our best to have a very good relationship with all of our customers, and welcome their feedback! We know it is certainly true that no one knife is right for everyone or there wouldn't be such a great variety on the market. When it gets to be resharpening time let us know if you have any problems at all! And of course, you can always send it back to us for a free re-sharpen." So I think its fair to say their knives are gonna be something you like or you dont!? I love them and think the cost is well worth what you get! And it sounds like they stand behind their products! If you want a beautiful smooth sharp factory edge get a Seb! I read somewhere I believe it was Benchmade actually sends their knives out with kind of a dull edge with the intention of the customer ultimately putting the edge on that they desire! Cheers! Gonna go open a bottle of 17yr old Balvenie!

Dont think Grayman is gonna join us here but they did email this! "We never try to convince anyone on a forum. We DO try our best to have a very good relationship with all of our customers, and welcome their feedback! We know it is certainly true that no one knife is right for everyone or there wouldn't be such a great variety on the market. When it gets to be resharpening time let us know if you have any problems at all! And of course, you can always send it back to us for a free re-sharpen." So I think its fair to say their knives are gonna be something you like or you dont!? I love them and think the cost is well worth what you get! And it sounds like they stand behind their products! If you want a beautiful smooth sharp factory edge get a Seb! I read somewhere I believe it was Benchmade actually sends their knives out with kind of a dull edge with the intention of the customer ultimately putting the edge on that they desire! Cheers! Gonna go open a bottle of 17yr old Balvenie!
As many people that are here putting down the Grayman edge, there are those that are just questioning the reasoning. I think it would be good for his company if he at least attempted to explain their philosophy behind their edge style (even if it is on their website). This thread has clearly shown that it is turning some people away.

How would anyone resharpen that edge, on a brick?

Last edited:
Perhaps e few emails with that request could get them to come on here and explain their edge philosophy! Got the impression that they re pretty busy making knives and getting orders out!! They have a pretty cool site with a lot of happy customer testimonials! Graymanknives.com

This may be the silliest discussion ever. It goes like this:

OP: My Grayman has a working edge meaning it won't shave, it's rough, and it just tears stuff but that why it's so great and you guys just don't see it.

Everyone else: ok sure bro

OP: seriously, dull is the new sharp

Everyone else: cool beans bro

OP: I tried to get the manufacturer to explain it here but he won't cuz he says you guys just don't get it

Everyone else: I see bud

OP: My Grayman has a working edge meaning it won't shave, it's rough, and it just tears stuff but that why it's so great and you guys just don't see it.

OP: I tried to get the manufacturer to explain it here but he won't cuz he says you guys just don't get it

That's hardly an accurate summary of this thread.

Sillyness...this is not how the thread is going. The edge is just completely unlike anything else we've seen. It is interesting imho....how would you sharpen it though.

Part of the reason for the edge finish that I don't think has been mentioned here is so taht the end user can finish the edge the way he wants without removing much material. Just food for thought.

Part of the reason for the edge finish that I don't think has been mentioned here is so taht the end user can finish the edge the way he wants without removing much material. Just food for thought.

From the pictures I can see about 20 minutes of grinding with a DMT XXC to just straighten the edge. I'm all for putting on my own edge but I don't think I would be so happy about all the work needed. It almost looks like the edge was "tapped" on the edge of a belt or wheel to create a wave in the edge. The overall design and coarseness of the edge would likely make it perform very well on dirt covered rope, carpet, thick cardboard, or any dirty or heavy fiber material. For most general tasks of a person living in a city and not a battlefield the edge design causes more effort to be used in the cutting forces and motion needed to make the cut. It wouldn't be cutting it would be sawing.

I don't know what it is, but I find the edge ...alluring in a way.
No doubt it will "cut" what ever needs cutting.

I think if you guys were to check out their website you would find that their knives are made more for the battlefield and not for the guy that wants a $400 letter opener! Read all the mail theyve gotten from our troops raving about their knives! On another note, I am going to be sending one of my Dua s off to the Richard J Spa to have a more traditional edge put on it! Then I can compare them! No novelty edge but one that will cut and still shave hair and most importantly last!! As I have discussed with Richard J we will post some before and after pics! Richard really seems like a great, honest, stand up kind of guy that really knows what hes talking about!! Cant wait to see what he does with his magic paper wheels!!!

I think if you guys were to check out their website you would find that their knives are made more for the battlefield and not for the guy that wants a $400 letter opener! Read all the mail theyve gotten from our troops raving about their knives! On another note, I am going to be sending one of my Dua s off to the Richard J Spa to have a more traditional edge put on it! Then I can compare them! No novelty edge but one that will cut and still shave hair and most importantly last!! As I have discussed with Richard J we will post some before and after pics! Richard really seems like a great, honest, stand up kind of guy that really knows what hes talking about!! Cant wait to see what he does with his magic paper wheels!!!

So, you're 1/2 warrior and 1/2 letter opener? Just kidding man, I'd do the same thing! :D

Just because one is on a battlefield, one doesn't need or want a carefully crafted edge on their knife?

Not buying it. I'm calling hooey. "Hooey" I tell ya! It's like saying "If you are in battle, you don't care about blade play."

Back