Grayman Dua folder!!!! Wow

Why in the hell would you close this thread? (I am directing this to the people suggesting that)

Because there is some discussion going on that not all people agree on? Geez, this place is falling prey to the PC crusaders. God forbid we discuss a knife and have opposing opinions all in one thread!

I see nothing in this thread that would warrant a close.

Right on CTS and it's happening all too often.

Why in the hell would you close this thread? (I am directing this to the people suggesting that)

Because there is some discussion going on that not all people agree on? Geez, this place is falling prey to the PC crusaders. God forbid we discuss a knife and have opposing opinions all in one thread!

I see nothing in this thread that would warrant a close.
Me neither. It is very interesting and people are behaving in a mostly civil manner. I say let it stand. I am very curious to hear Richard J's take on the "before" condition and Striderco's take on the "after" condition when Richard sends it back to him.

Some people cant have a good debate:

A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.....Argue about (a subject), esp. in a formal manner.

There will always be different opinions on all matters and at the end each person should realise everything stated is opinion and should be taken with a bit off salt. Read more and form your own opinion. You can substantiate your opinion through references but it is still opinion.

For me most of the debate has been civil thus far and I think many are curious about the edge and want to know how it is done rather then criticize.

Last edited:
Oh my Lord, close the thread because we are having a civil discussion about something knife related????
If this "working edge" is the ideal for soldiers why hasn't Strider and Emerson embraced it?

Still want to know how one resharpens it!!!!!

To the OP , I would lock this thread. If you guys do not care for the edge that was put on this knife then don't buy one..... It's as simple as that.

Five pages of "discussion" about something that really doesn't concern you in the first place ? Seems as though some folks have a lot of time on their hands.....

Tostig

Gasp! A discussion about knives on a knife discussion forum! Unheard of!

leave the thread open and anyone who complains can skip this thread. simple as that. its just a knife with what appears to be a really coarse edge so it should not be a big deal. i'll take some better pictures and do some cutting to see how it does. then i'll run it over the slotted wheel to see what improvement that has on the edge before i resharpen it.

Wolf, Grayman recently emailed me and said they were planning on putting resharpening instructions on their site but they will also resharpen for free if sent to them! And just because they have soldiers and marines that love their knives doesnt mean that others are gonna change what is working for them all of a sudden. As far as I know they are a fairly new, two person operation out in sunny cali and seems like they re doing well and are open to criticism. We should be praising people like this, not ridiculing them. They are an American made company, that alone we should be proud of!

I haven't seen anybody ridicule them. I have seen them be criticized here. Not ridiculed.

And it's great that they are nice guys from sunny California making knives in the US of A that soldiers and marines love.

But! We're a knife forum here, full of experienced knife users here. And just because a knife is made in the US, or used by marines, doesn't make it exempt from criticism. Somewhere else maybe, but not here.

Bottom line for me...if I got that edge on a $20 production knife, I'd raise a stink here you wouldn't believe and send the thing back.

And I don't understand how playing on some "it's a edge grind for a working American hero like a Marine" fixes things. And honestly, I find it a bit insulting. It's akin to saying if one thinks a knife should have a neatly done edge, one is an effete fancy-boy pansy snob who hates America and doesn't support the troops.

I don't get it.

It's a very, very nice knife. But I think the edge is a hot mess. And Grayman's "philosophy" isn't flying with me at all.

I spent an hour or so researching other reveiwers and periodicals with owners and reviers talking about how bad*ss this folder is. I didn't read one complaint about the edge - and I've got screen burn from reading and the sources appear unpaid and mostly cops, military, and knife forum types.

I'd like to get one but I don't know if I'd rather save my cash and get a ZT 0200 or even a 0301 and have a sleeker design. I used to be a Marine but the knives we had were sharpened properly or at least traditionally. :D

I think a trip down to Richard J. would smooth that edge out really nice - if that's what you're looking for. :thumbup:

I know nothing of Grayman but there is just no way that edge was intended. It almost looks vandalized or something. I mean if you pull a knife through one of those carbide pull through jobs it's sharp in a very jagged sort of way...sort of. Now hearing that others have not noticed the same edge (and they would have!) makes me think that something funny is going on here.

Indeed. Let Richard J take a look. He'll make the knife no less tough or bad- ass and you'll no doubt have a crazy sharp edge on the thing to boot.

I vote...keep this open for before pic and analysis and after pics and tests.

I know nothing of Grayman but there is just no way that edge was intended. It almost looks vandalized or something. I mean if you pull a knife through one of those carbide pull through jobs it's sharp in a very jagged sort of way...sort of. Now hearing that others have not noticed the same edge (and they would have!) makes me think that something funny is going on here.

Indeed. Let Richard J take a look. He'll make the knife no less tough or bad- ass and you'll no doubt have a crazy sharp edge on the thing to boot.

I vote...keep this open for before pic and analysis and after pics and tests.

I saved pictures from several shots of the knife and then blew them up - that's the edge alright! It's advertised to have a rough working edge. Maybe the two man operation is the designer and an apprentice. The apprentice hasn't learned sharpening 101 yet! They also state that just send it in for resharpening services! :eek:

I guess they figure 2 or 4 touchups and you buy a new knife since there won't be any steel left. :D

I'm tempted to get one just to see it. One review said "it came with a nice keen edge."

Hmmm Cziv did alot of research and found a lot of Grayman owners talking about how badass their knives are and not one complaint about their edge?! Hey Marcinek I think Walmart has some sharp gerbers on sale for about twenty bucks! :D

The only reason to care about a factory edge is if you are in one way or another physically incapable of sharpening. I like to have a sharp edge out of the box, but I'm not about to waste exponentially more time and effort for turnaround shipping to receive a replacement/resharpened knife when I can just fix the edge myself.

I'm also not sure what's supposed to be wrong with that edge. Only if it won't cut, which I can't tell from pictures. You can apply an edge with a brick, cinder block, file, 24 grit grinding wheel (not powered), etc that will shave hair from your arm and slice rope pretty easily. Funny that a Krein regrind was mentioned, he will finish an edge on a belt that pops hairs. The belt is as coarse than the coarsest DMT sharpener you can buy, or a coarse Crystolon Norton. Some of the commercial sharpeners from CATRA, Truhone, F Dick, and more use stones and belts to finish that we use to start the rebeveling process.

if Murray Carter can get a knife face shaving sharp using nothing more than a cinder block and newspaper, then these guys have some explaining to do, haha.

like i said before. its not what the edge looks like, its how it performs that matters.

cziv, why dont you come down and check the knife out for yourself. he is shipping it out tomorrow so it should be here by friday. maybe come down this weekend and check it out. i also have about 11 knife blanks for you to check out that i hope to get heat treated soon.

First off I didn't find lots of Grayman owners, just what I could find in some google queries.

You can apply an edge with a brick, cinder block, file, 24 grit grinding wheel (not powered), etc that will shave hair from your arm and slice rope pretty easily.

That must be how they sharpen them just because they're bad*sses andd cuz they can. At least you'd think they could hold the edge line straight though. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ looks like that but not as neat.

:D

Looks like a stout folder, but that bevel "grind" would have to go! I'm interested in seeing how much steel will need to be removed to give it a proper bevel.

I haven't read all the posts, so excuse me if I miss anything. My observations on this folder are:

1. It looks and (in my view) works more like a saw than a knife, meaning it saws better than it cuts.
2. Don't know how to sharpen the folder (I use the word in the widest sense, i.e. anything that 'folds'), when the 'working' edge on it finally ceases to work though.
3. Someone said the fit and finish is better than Striders. Just from looking at the pictures I am sorry to say I have difficulty buying that.

if Murray Carter can get a knife face shaving sharp using nothing more than a cinder block and newspaper, then these guys have some explaining to do, haha.
Has he actually done this? I've seen the YT clip where he shows cinder block sharpening and cardboard stropping and then tests the edge by cutting an apple and shows the amount of oxidation, and I have seen the YT clip where he shaves his face after sharpening with a 6000 grit King water stone. A lot of people dislike the 6K King, but I don't think anyone has called it a cinder block.

Lol, no he doesn't get face shaving sharp from a cinder block. A 6k stone and some newsprint, yes. A cinder block, no.

Back