• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Prices

What I've always wondered is who are these people paying the ridiculous prices for these knives? We at Bladeforums seem to be a fair representation of the marketplace. Who is dropping the $600 on the 2019 BF knife? That's a pretty serious collector!
Here's one of those people. Too bad the offers were edited out.

The prices seem to be normal to me. I just had someone offer me $250 each for 4 Northwoods I have listed 😂

What's happening with GECs is really happening all across various businesses. My recollection saw it start with ticket sales to events. Once businesses like StubHub became more popular there became this segment of the market that would buy up the tickets with no intention of going and immediately post tickets to a sold out show with an incredible markup (not to mention the application fees). No too long after the collectible shoe industry followed suit. It's supply and demand except now you have speculators in the collectible world. Not much different than what oil speculators do to oil prices. They bet on futures. My father use to have a very strong opinion as to what should be done with speculators that I won't share, ha.

What I've always wondered is who are these people paying the ridiculous prices for these knives? We at Bladeforums seem to be a fair representation of the marketplace. Who is dropping the $600 on the 2019 BF knife? That's a pretty serious collector!
Other venues allow raffles for knives. If you pay $600 and can still make a good profit on it.

To me the GEC shuffle is just like the diamond industry. Only releasing a certain amount of diamonds per season creates pent up demand and inflated prices.
If it is true there are warehouses full of diamonds but they are only released in small batches, then that explains the desire to inflate pricing. Others have said something similar in this thread.

I am not saying that GEC intentionally does this as their manufacturing capacity appears to have limits, but the result is the same. If they made more knives the value per unit would be reduced. I also seems that if they made less variety and more of each model, the prices would also drop and hurt the demand expectation which has to be part of the business model.

In a capitalist market place there is a void that could be filled by another knife company if it was profitable, but apparently it isn’t as that void has not been filled.

The result is high prices. I have been avoiding playing the game the past couple of years as sitting on a device waiting for a knife drop and hoping I can click on the link in first 30 seconds of the drop no longer appeals to me. I generally don't sell and only buy to collect so paying the flipper markup also doesn't appeal to me.

If you want them, buy them, but there are only so many to go around and many go for a high margin on the big store.

To me the GEC shuffle is just like the diamond industry. Only releasing a certain amount of diamonds per season creates pent up demand and inflated prices.
If it is true there are warehouses full of diamonds but they are only released in small batches, then that explains the desire to inflate pricing. Others have said something similar in this thread.

I am not saying that GEC intentionally does this as their manufacturing capacity appears to have limits, but the result is the same. If they made more knives the value per unit would be reduced. I also seems that if they made less variety and more of each model, the prices would also drop and hurt the demand expectation which has to be part of the business model.

In a capitalist market place there is a void that could be filled by another knife company if it was profitable, but apparently it isn’t as that void has not been filled.

The result is high prices. I have been avoiding playing the game the past couple of years as sitting on a device waiting for a knife drop and hoping I can click on the link in first 30 seconds of the drop no longer appeals to me. I generally don't sell and only buy to collect so paying the flipper markup also doesn't appeal to me.

If you want them, buy them, but there are only so many to go around and many go for a high margin on the big store.

It’s the same sort of thing in the sneaker industry. Make a select amount, do a lottery (drop) type system where only a small percentage win the shoes sneaker heads want and the brand draws huge interest, the prices stay high, everything is sold out within minutes and then it starts all over again. It’s a money making cycle. If people think GEC is above keeping demand high and limiting quantities because they can charge more and sell out all the time, then maybe they should have taken business classes in college lol

GEC has been doing that (making less variety and more of each model). It may have actually had the opposite affect overall, more people could get one, so it just fed the addiction. Trouble is, you can't stop at just one.

Many do. However, it's important to understand that some of the folks you see who are immediately posting up the entire run of covers are the guys who have made friends with multiple dealers, some of whom make sure their friends are taken care of before releasing whatever's left of their small allotments to the general public. Understand, I say this with no malice, this is just how the GEC game is played in 2022.

I will speak to this - at least from a perspective that is pertinent to me (I can't speak for anyone else).

I have purchased most of my new GEC releases from one dealer over the years and it mostly had to do with the ease of his early reserve system. I tried reaching out to other dealers and such over the years but quite frankly, 1.) I do not have the time to manage all of the idiosyncrasies of multiple dealers and 2.) a lot of these dealers already had long established lists and they have an old school "pen and paper" approach to managing them.

I don't do "drops" very well and the last couple of years have proved to be rather difficult to obtain a new GEC I was after so when I was offered a spot on a list, a list where I would be obligated to purchase every GEC variant that is released (within reason), I happily accepted. I have spent a lot of time and money over the years, building a rapport and buying history with a specific dealer and I have a difficult time finding any shame in reaping any rewards that might come from that.

It does go without saying however, should GEC begin offering SFOs in earnest, I will be hitting the proverbial trough with the rest of folks if there is a variant that happens to interest me.

Last edited:
It’s the same sort of thing in the sneaker industry. Make a select amount, do a lottery (drop) type system where only a small percentage win the shoes sneaker heads want and the brand draws huge interest, the prices stay high, everything is sold out within minutes and then it starts all over again. It’s a money making cycle. If people think GEC is above keeping demand high and limiting quantities because they can charge more and sell out all the time, then maybe they should have taken business classes in college lol
LOL indeed.

Note for anyone just joining us; Sbs1974 is no longer with us as he was outed as a liar and general unpleasant individual, He has now embarked on a mystical journey.

Any comments from him about GEC's ethics can be ignored.

I discovered GEC here on BF last year and I paid a lil over retail for almost all of them. I don't mind!
Tax and shipping adds up to a decent amount also, so I feel like I save $$ buying GECs here on BF compared to Ebay.
GEC makes a wonderful pocketknife. Good quality American made products are hard to find, sometimes.

I'm lucky that Northwoods sell out quickly or else i'd be in a lil more trouble...heh..
Cheers and TGIF
Thank you

$205.88 from The Knife Connection for the 88 ironwoods that drop today. Are we seeing the end of sub $150 retail prices for GEC?

😳

CYrGoBV.jpg

If knife-collecting is WAR, then flippers are the military industrial complex.

This scumwad is well known for these scumbag prices. He's over on the Facebook pages, and will come in sometimes like "Hey man, just PM me! We can haggle!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That said, he's definitely being powered by some of the Facebook page royalty, because as you can see from his other knives on offer, they're all essentially unobtainium models and cover options. He and his sources know what they're doing. He's selling a BF21 86 for $900.

^ What’s the motive pricing the knives that high though, do they really want to sell them or is that their way to make $250-$350 on the forums look like “a good deal”?

^ What’s the motive pricing the knives that high though, do they really want to sell them or is that their way to make $250-$350 on the forums look like “a good deal”?

Sadly, it's the former. Back when the BF21 86's dropped, they were selling (not just posted, mind you, but actually moving) at $450-$550. I haven't watched lately to see what they're selling at, but I bet it hasn't dropped much if at all. About three months before the 2021 knife dropped, the BF19 86's were selling for between $600-$750. In fact, the Bladeforums GEC knives tend to always bring a hefty upcharge on Ebay simply due to their scarcity. Over on the FB pages, where there are a ton of new members just getting into GEC, every time someone there posts their BF19 or 21, that sparks a few more people who are like "What is THAT?!??!?!?! I NEED ONE!" and then they save up, or buy other rare GECs so they can trade into one. What's funny is that the BF knives, there were like 500 of last year's made, but they have a much higher value than the AllAboutPocketKnives forum GEC 2021 knife (which was also an 86), despite the fact that there were only around a hundred of those made. As for the BF21 86s, I'd wager that at least a third of the run are in the hands of people who aren't BF members at this point.

Speaking as someone who observes the trends, I can tell you that sadly, $250-$350 for a BF 86 would be a good deal. Hell, it would be a screaming deal, and that knife would be snapped up instantly and end up on Ebay, or over on the FB pages with a $150-$175 markup. It is what it is. :/

Back