Great songs, Good songs, and ones that'll do.

"..So I'll take two of what you're having and I'll take all of what you got.."

Karen and I met this gal at a hotel outside of Nashville. We checked out at the same time so had a few minutes to chat. Karen is tiny but towered over this little chick.

I think I've found some modern music that isn't repulsive. Mind you, it isn't exactly a modern sound they're looking for.

I heard their new one on the radio recently, it wasn't too bad. It got me to listen to some of their older stuff that doesn't get air time and it isn't what I expected. It'll do.

Some JJ that Lynyrd Skynyrd did...

And the Black Keys covering some Jr. Kimbrough, good stuff, especially if you have ever listened to Jr.

Some JJ that Lynyrd Skynyrd did...

And the Black Keys covering some Jr. Kimbrough, good stuff, especially if you have ever listened to Jr.

I’ve seen a couple Black Keys videos on YouTube where people get twisted up and accuse them of ripping off Jr. Kimbrough’s songs or sound.

Personally I think all blues and blues derivatives are copy’s of what they’ve heard. The history and the roots of the blues is why I listen. If it didn’t sound like it had some connection to the old stuff, it wouldn’t be the blues. :cool:

I’ve seen a couple Black Keys videos on YouTube where people get twisted up and accuse them of ripping off Jr. Kimbrough’s songs or sound.

Personally I think all blues and blues derivatives are copy’s of what they’ve heard. The history and the roots of the blues is why I listen. If it didn’t sound like it had some connection to the old stuff, it wouldn’t be the blues. :cool:
Exactly how I feel, going back to Leadbelly and Robert Johnson. But if done right, modern versions still have that same gut feeling.

You probably already know RL Burnside as well. Love Poor Black Mattie.

Exactly how I feel, going back to Leadbelly and Robert Johnson. But if done right, modern versions still have that same gut feeling.

You probably already know RL Burnside as well. Love Poor Black Mattie.

My wife is watching Trading Spaces on TV.
I’ve got my ear phones in and I’m about 40 minutes into “Robert Johnson- can you heat the wind howl” on YouTube as I type this.The documentary from 1997.

If you read the comments in the Black Keys song I posted, there’s one that calls Busted a rip off of RL Burnside’s Skinny Woman.

Last edited:
My wife is watching Trading Spaces on TV.
I’ve got my ear phones in and I’m about 40 minutes into “Robert Johnson- can you heat the wind howl” on YouTube as I type this.The documentary from 1997.

If you read the comments in the Black Keys song I posted, there’s one that calls Busted a rip off of RL Burnside’s Skinny Wan.

Good stuff, Chris!
I usually put on some headphones at night to drown out the tinnitus, and also to put on albums on YouTube. I will check out the Robert Johnson album tonight!:thumbsup:

Good stuff, Chris!
I usually put on some headphones at night to drown out the tinnitus, and also to put on albums on YouTube. I will check out the Robert Johnson album tonight!:thumbsup:

Coming clean, I had heard the blues before and listened to blues inspired stuff like Zeppelin and Clapton and had heard BB King and John Lee Hooker but I didn't figure out that you could be a blues fan until I was around 18 and heard Robert Cray. It was strange. He bridged the gap between rock of the late 80's and music that actually had soul. Somehow it spoke to me.

Looking back it was somewhat modernized and cleaned up to sell to the masses but you could hear the influence. The False Accusations and the Strong Persuader CDs, SRV's two appearances on Austin City Limits And Clapton's Journeyman CD, I think, put me on the correct path:cool:;).

Coming clean, I had heard the blues before and listened to blues inspired stuff like Zeppelin and Clapton and had heard BB King and John Lee Hooker but I didn't figure out that you could be a blues fan until I was around 18 and heard Robert Cray. It was strange. He bridged the gap between rock of the late 80's and music that actually had soul. Somehow it spoke to me.

Looking back it was somewhat modernized and cleaned up to sell to the masses but you could hear the influence. The False Accusations and the Strong Persuader CDs, SRV's two appearances on Austin City Limits And Clapton's Journeyman CD, I think, put me on the correct path:cool:;).
We took similar paths, listened alot to Led Zeppelin, E.C. (Derek and the Dominos is still one of my favorite albums), Allman Brothers. Then listened more to Robert Cray, and of course some SRV. Then more and more into traditional stuff.
Found this live version a while back, I hate the stretch he can get with his fingers:eek:

Love those drums. Speaking of drums, Denny Carmassi has long been a favorite of mine.
His sound was a huge boost to Ann and Nancy's voices in the mid 80s.

Last edited:
Back