1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Here's another look at how the horn on the Guardians Lambsfoot started out :thumbsup:

Wright's Super Special Buffalo S.JPG

Wright's Super Special Buffalo 2S.JPG

2. AShearer

AShearer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    I like that. I'm more comfortable with the medium, but it would be interesting to have a larger version to round out my burgeoning lambs foot collection. Sometime in the future.

3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    :thumbsup:

4. scruffuk

scruffuk Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I'd love to just paw through that, offering each one up to the light. Horn is so special.

5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Maybe I'll call mine "Brain-biter", like Hereward the Wake's sword.
    They're still saying mine will arrive by 8:00 tonight: 1.75 hours.

Jack Black, Cambertree and Jolipapa like this.
  6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I guess my Rosewood is a large. (4" , closed)
    Larger than I usually carry, but it's just so useful it's worth the pocket real estate. I combine it with a small knife like a pen or peanut for detail work.

Jack Black likes this.
  7. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you all for the compliments, though I can hardly take credit. Jack's work on these alongside Wright's has produced something rather exceptional. These knives truly are treasures.

Thank you! Your ebony looks mighty fine. Since Betty is the name of my mother, I heartily approve!

I think you have taken the words right out of my mouth, Chin. Both are exceptional and I have been checking them out all day whilst being cooped up in the office. In regards to my dried up horn, I have something in the works, stay tuned! But yes, the arrival of these beauties certainly has motivated me to see what can be done with my less than stellar example.

I really do love the mismatched horn covers on your Lambsfoot, Alan. I think your knife has dual characters and that is most certainly special and unique.

Fantastic, @r8shell! Beautiful knife, I think you did a great job capturing its character though I certainly can relate to pictures not doing the covers justice.

I am having a difficult time myself trying to photograph horn, it has presented a rather interesting learning curve for me. Doesn't matter what angle I try, I just can't quite seem to capture what I intend to. Oh well, practice makes perfect and some research can't hurt either...

A couple of pics from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Mine came in the mail today! It sure is a good-looking knife! I really like the bolsters!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for putting in the work to get these beautiful knives made, Jack! :thumbsup:

9. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    These knives have a really interesting swedge on them, too. Almost like a sharpened double-edge from the apex of the curve all the way down to the tip. I like it. :D

Jack Black and Cambertree like this.
  10. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Fellow Guardians, my package arrived today. :D As luck would have it my wife was home and was able to forge my name to sign for the package. ;) I didn’t get home until around 6:00. So by the time I had opened my package and became mesmerized by the absolute beauty of the contents my supper was cold and the light needed to get a quality photo worthy of the subject matter was gone. So I will just say to Jack Black and the fine craftsmen at A. Wright and Son LTD, a job well done! I am not going to take a photo until I can get a good one, but I will say that the Midnight Special, 2nd from left, now resides in Tennessee! :D All of the knives posted so far are unique and each one a treasure in their own right! Now back to some more serious CE and CF activities!!! :eek:;) To be continued! :thumbsup:

11. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    We must have diversity in our collections:thumbsup:

Jack Black and r8shell like this.
  12. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Jack Black likes this.
  13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Sweet horn on yours....wow :cool::thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  14. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Very nice knives r8shell, Dylan and Barrett!!
    It's raining so I am not out by the post box!! Sigh . . . . . .

15. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I'll try to take some pictures in the sunlight to try to show the depth in the horn. Even on the plainer pile side, there is a grain that looks like strands of hair. It's hard to capture when the surface is so glossy, and I think the mark side is confusing the auto focus. It thinks the knife is in motion. :p

Elegant!

Thanks! I've never seen such figured horn. Each of these knives is mesmerizing in its own way.
    But can you see the post box from your window? :D Good luck!

Jack Black likes this.
  16. mrknife

mrknife

May 9, 2010
    that looks awesome! like a chunk of a galaxy map

Jack Black, Cambertree and r8shell like this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Mesmerising ! Another Comet Tail or Starburst:cool: What were those cattle eating???:D:D

Regards, Will

Jack Black likes this.
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! :D I guess it didn't get there Jer :( Hope it arrives today :thumbsup:

Thank you for the compliments folks, but I think the laurels have to go to the cutlers at Wright's...I just made them an offer they couldn't refuse ;) :D I do hope that this knife will be a milestone for them in seeing that people are willing to pay a little more for better quality, and what can be accomplished when they are not constrained by clock-watching and the tightest budgets. I'm not sure they were even aware of bolsters like this before, but my request for one has let them see what they can accomplish, and I hope it won't be an isolated project :) It was considerably longer in coming to fruition than most people probably realise, but I think Wright's have done an exceptional job of these knives, and they have exceeded my expectations. I think we got an absolute bargain, and a knife to truly treasure. Thanks to everyone who ordered one, and allowed me to get some of my money back! :D :thumbsup:

Congratulations Barrett :) :thumbsup:

The swedges are excellent aren't they? All hand-ground of course :thumbsup:

Sorry about the cold supper Ron! :eek: Glad the package arrived though my friend :) Looking forward to seeing your pics :) :thumbsup:

I hope you haven't been out there all night Charlie! :eek: I had expected yours to be among the first to land, hope it reaches you today pal :thumbsup:

The glossy surface reflects a lot of light, so it really is hard to capture the true depth and beauty of the horn isn't it? I think the auto light settings on many cameras probably increase the problem. One of the problems that I generally have is that my simple auto-focus camera seems to want to focus everywhere but the knife, but with this one, there's so much going on in the horn, I haven't experienced the problem so much :thumbsup:

Space cows! :D :thumbsup:

Cambertree likes this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Alan, I had hoped to be able to take some pics of the knives actually being made, but Wright's worked more quickly than I had expected. Maybe next time ;) :thumbsup:

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Really enjoying your pics folks :) :thumbsup:

AWSFO 8-2.JPG

mrknife likes this.