Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Fantastic photo, Dwight! :eek: Can't wait for fall!
Man you take good photos, Dwight
Thank you Dennis. :)

Repurposing Jack's tin, I call it my "Jack in the box", for when Life and Lamb are at stake! Or if you're on the Lamb!
Cool pic!

Very nice Dave.

Good morning Guardians! :) It’s shaping up to be a double Lambsfoot day for me! I hope y’all have a great weekend!
Gorgeous pair Ron.

Mine isn't that bad.
I like it David. Are the scales gumfuddy?

I'm recovering today as I feel that yesterday at the Wolverhampton 44th Beer Festival I actually drank all the beer.
Always enjoy your pub pics and related narrative David. :cool:

IMG_9394.jpeg

The chips weren't around long enough to get pics! :eek: I got a few pics on the tool stall though ;)
fZdjShg.jpg

I enjoyed your pics of the stag HHB with a variety of old tools, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Afwan GT :) :thumbsup:

Mumtaz ;) :thumbsup:
Jack, I haven't used an online Arabic to English translator this much since at least 10 years ago when I was trying to figure out the content of a table made by the 12th century Baghdad mathematician Al-Samawal! :eek::thumbsup:;)

It's not often my pocket knife gets to take part in a historic event! :cool:
Qi6qaib.jpg

Many thanks, and congratulations Charlie, the knives are superb :) Well done to all concerned, I can't tell you how thrilled I am, particularly after all this time :) :thumbsup:
Hearty congratulations, Jack, on those two amazing Waynorth Cutlery lambsfoots! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Lambsfoot knives crossing the Atlantic in both directions this month! That jigged bone version has really got a hold on me! :eek::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Great pic my friend :D :thumbsup:
Thanks for your assistance and advice in getting both the Henderson's and the lambsfoot from York, Jack. :)

Greetings Good Guardians,

Three tips here that are pretty new to me.

9i7PI7Ul.jpg
The onion tip was interesting, but I'm intrigued by the "hidden" tip about baseball gloves! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

That's only because Lancastrians bearing gifts is such a rare sight that when it happens everyone gets suspicious. :D
At last....
tip1wBs.jpg
:D:D David, I'm sure you know I made up the business about Lancastrians bearing gifts.
Congrats on picking up, in person, your stag Hartshead lambsfoot Barlow; looks like the handle occupies at least 3 dimensions - desirable feature for stag covers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The tree is a Redbud. :)
That is a Jack worthy of relishing. :D
Hahaha! John beat me to it but I posted before I got to his post. :D
View attachment 1159611
Great minds think alike.
Dwight & John, all 3 of us must be great minds with common thoughts, since we all saw the pun potential in that Henderson's and lambsfoot shot. :):thumbsup::cool:
Dwight, that's a splendid photo of your "twin" stag HHBs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Wait, are you telling me that the Blues Brothers aren't real?! :eek:;):D
I can see how you could have forgotten, I have been carrying the rosewood HHB almost everyday.

Union Jack's pile side exhibiting some fine grain. :thumbsup:
48253008516_86c4e4c8b3_h.jpg
Reality is all relative, FBC. ;) I'm just saying the Blues Bros are not as real as a "real lamb foot knife".:rolleyes: Thanks for noticing the Union Jack grain; your ironwood has even grander grain, although I almost didn't see the "W"! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Holy cow, I have a LOT of catching up to do! I think this has been my longest absence from BladeForums since I joined, by far. I still haven't been able to kick this post-operative infection. Not fun! I haven't been this sick since I had mono twenty years ago.
So while I catch up on the thread, I'll leave you with these pics of the 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot in Ironwood! Thank you so much Jack Black Jack Black for this wonderful knife! It's absolutely beautiful. It will be cherished and well used!
9P2emgX.jpg

YWM8LwT.jpg

Speaking of grand grain, your ironwood lambsfoot is doubly astounding, @Fixall! The parallel grain on the mark side is very distinguished, and the two-tone parabolas on the pile side say, "Party Time!" ;):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I hope you can kick that infection very soon.

Received my pair of Charlie’s Lambsfoots. Very impressed with these two! Charlie and GEC did us proud to bring these to us avid collectors. Glad to be able to include these in my Lambsfoot collection.

View attachment 1159855
W:eek:W, what a sensational pair of knives, Russell!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Something to cherish and carry with pride for all of you who had the foresight and good fortune to acquire them! :)

Here's a recent pic of Union Jack:
UJ.pile.Vopen.garden post.jpg

- GT

Dwight & John, all 3 of us must be great minds with common thoughts, since we all saw the pun potential in that Henderson's and lambsfoot shot. :):thumbsup::cool:
Dwight, that's a splendid photo of your "twin" stag HHBs!
Thanks GT. Great pic of Union Jack. Rich and crisp.

Great picture, Dwight
Thanks John. Have a safe trip today!

I have been trying to go straight and get a line on things:D:p:D
IMG_1243.JPG

:D :thumbsup:

That compass is cool too, Jack. Nice Waynorth image.

59F1144F-D42D-44BC-AC29-8D7C6270FD77_zps9vjytxfz.jpeg

Thanks Harvey, nice image of that old beauty :) :thumbsup:

G'day folks :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend, it's going to take me a while to get caught up ;) :thumbsup:

I was just intending to carry this one today...

H63ENGx.jpg

But ended up pocketing Charlie Lamb too :D ;) :thumbsup:

QJFcSti.jpg

I'll be making mine out of 52100 as soon as I get to feeling better!:cool::thumbsup:
Ooh! You're gonna forge a fixed blade lambsfoot? :cool::thumbsup: I want to see that!
Hey, a Lego Lamb!:D:thumbsup:
Ha! :D
Milo of Crotona, was it? I believe he died getting stuck in a tree he was trying to split with his bare hands.
If only he'd had a good lambsfoot with him. I'll try to avoid that.
Now all my knives are users, but I like the blade etch on my Barlow so much I'm thinking of excusing it from aggressive patina forming duties.
That's a valid choice. :thumbsup: The etching on these Hartsheads feels deeper than the electro etched ones on the earlier Guardians knives. I'm hoping they will still show through patina, but we'll have to wait and see. :)

Today I received my 1st Lambsfoot (I think) from a forum member. It’s a A Wright & Son and I’m quite happy with it. I look forward to using and carrying it. I have been following this thread and it has peaked my interest in this knife style. I can see why so many are also fans.
View attachment 1160298

Welcome to the Guardians Chuck, what a nice gift :) :thumbsup:

I know that there are plenty of multi-blade lambsfoot knives out there. Was just wondering why they seem to be less popular? I happen to love two-blade knives due to the versatility aspects. After using my Hartshead knife I am finding that this little blade is extremely versatile. Maybe I've answered my own question.

You may have Bill :) Might be some index entries on this topic :thumbsup:

You have a very nice knife there. Much luck with it. I happen to be a leftie.

Wright's do left-handed versions, quite unusual these days :thumbsup:

I don't have a two blade Lambsfoot, but from what we have been told by Jack and others, the pen blade is an absolute BEAR to get out.

That is certainly the case with my Wright's two-blade John, the pull on the pen (more like a spear) is just silly. I have other two-blades where the pull is reasonable though. I always thought this would be my ideal knife, but I find the pen blade totally unnecessary with a Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

The Lambsfoot blade is one of those styles that requires no secondary, in my opinion. I like a small pen blade with a broad clip or large sheepfoot but with a Lambsfoot, it is unnecessary. The tapered point provides all the control and ability for fine work that one should need. At least that has been my experience.

Take slicing and coring an apple for example. With one of my knives with a big clip main and small coping secondary, I will slice the apple with the main blade and then use the smaller secondary to core it. I can do that all with ease with the singular Lambsfoot blade.

I couldn't agree more Dylan, well said :thumbsup:

Good Evening Guardians

LOL! :D Cool pic John :cool: I took this one for you earlier ;) :thumbsup:

b2uIsf3.jpg

I like having a combination of straight and curved edges, so a Lambsfoot knife with a pen would be nice. But as John said, I doubt I'd be able to open the ones made by Wrights. So unless I get the opportunity to handle them in a shop, I'll have to pass.

Speaking of being a bear to open: Even though the springs are very strong and snappy on all my lambsfoot knives, I haven't had any problems opening them. I have very weak nails, but strong enough fingers, so I can pinch them open. Even if I do use the nail nick, it's placement a far distance from the pivot makes it easy enough. Or maybe I'm just getting used to a stronger pull. The other day I was showing off my Ironwood Lambsfoot, and my friend had trouble opening it. I've never been able to open a knife that he had trouble with. It's always the other way around. :D

They can be sweetened up Rachel, but I think the pen is probably a more useful addition to a Big 'Un, like this William Rodgers Charlie gifted me some years back :) :thumbsup:

OF9woxS.jpg

That's good you can pinch open all your Lambsfoot knives :) I do think a lot of it is just down to practice, I doubt I have particularly strong fingers (I haven't climbed for 20 years now or done a manual job for longer), but I've been pinching open knife blades since I was a kid, and have no problem pinching open my Lambsfoot blades. It's even easier with the candle-end models, such as the Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:

Progressive resistance training. :cool: :thumbsup:

The Lambsfoot Work-out! You heard it here first! :D :thumbsup:

Maybe some rosewood on Saturday:
cFkPEjh.jpg

Nice Vince :) :thumbsup:

Ah yes, Milo... But in this case it's a full grown lamb.

My apologies, I'm in a silly mood. :oops:

Here's a knife with a history. I rec'd this from Jack shortly after it's release. I believe I ordered two and one went to Duncan? Relying on my memory is a flawed system:eek:
Anyway, trying to condense, this wonderful Lamb was mine for all of two days, then inadvertently left in my brother's car who lives in WI. So it resided two state east of me. Traveled back with brother several months later, attended a family function and it returned to WI once again!!! :(:mad:
Brother's car is stolen in Marchish? and figured gone for good. Brother actually told me he liked it and asked if he could keep it, I agreed as I have many knives and hoped he'd like a quality knife. This was a ruse to cover up being in his Caddy at the time of the theft:eek:
Figured Caddy was gone for good until a few weeks ago as it turned up in remarkably good shape with the Lamb safely stashed in the car (brother didn't say where in the car)
So, long last it's home (to stay) in like new condition:thumbsup::cool:
I am elated as I love this knife. It's like receiving a new knife in the mail:)
My ebony Gaurdian Lambfoot:thumbsup: I've named a knife before, not many but some, so thought either "Caddy" or "Lucky" seemed appropriate;)
6dslri.jpg

PnYaD3.jpg

Thank you for relating that great story here Paul, your lucky ebony '18 doesn't look to have fared baddly, but I'm glad you have it back again :) :thumbsup:

John, my brother bought a used Jaguar with the thought he'd never see his Caddy again. St Paul police contacted him and the officer said it was in pretty good shape for being stolen. He lives just past Hudson WI and was stolen from the Home Depot parking lot while he was at work. Caddy is like a 2005 so just had liability insurance on it.
Not sure it mattered much as he literally left the keys in the ignition:oops::rolleyes:
And it was actually a few days before the 22nd of February vs March because that's the weekend we moved our mom from St Paul to WI in the same apt as my brother.
Duncan has heard me tell stories of my brother before who I love very much but he has NO luck ever!!! They did steal the moving blankets and furniture dolly from the trunk of the Caddy but my wife and I own a furniture store so we had my truck, blankets and moving carts:thumbsup:
With his luck, we were all surprised they found his car. He actually had to pay a $40 parking ticket (seems unfair) to get his car back.

I just knew we were related Paul, that sounds just like MY brother! :eek: :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight, it's dark as night, just the way I like it:thumbsup:

BEAUTIFUL Summer night on the deck with Lambfoot, birds (decoy) and cigar;):)
f3tN5V.jpg

yT7fQD.jpg

Great pics Paul :) :thumbsup:

The perfect walk and talk out of the tube ever! No oil flush on either of my knives was needed! Posing with my new wallet.
View attachment 1160460

Great stuff :) :thumbsup:

Oh ya, happy Friday Guardians! Hope you get to spend your weekend in a way that is rewarding and refreshes your brain. GET OUTSIDE!

Yeah, glad I didn't take any notice of our doom-laden weather forecast :rolleyes: Turned out to be a lovely sunny day :thumbsup:

Happy Friday, folks. The weekend awaits!

VWvyT3D.jpg

Fantastic pic Dylan :) :thumbsup:

48253001646_5906932d15_h.jpg

Have a rockin' weekend Guardians!

You too Kevin! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much, Jack! It would be much easier if I could keep up!:D

I do love the Big 'Un!
Thanks! The compass is a Stanley of London... it's a real gem!:):thumbsup:

Thanks again, Jack! :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words, Matt! :)

Thank you kindly, Dwight!;):thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great responses...very scientific!:p

Gracias Gary, a Great Gift!:cool:

Dandy compass and Lamb photo, Jack! The compass looks well traveled!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's awsome, I look forwad to your Lambsfoot!
I'll be making mine out of 52100 as soon as I get to feeling better!:cool::thumbsup:

I see what you did there, Gary!:D:thumbsup:
Starting out with great looking Lambsfoot is the key!:p

Thanks, Mark! I mess up every now and then and take a good one!:cool::thumbsup:

Let me guess, you had that painted on the side of your van in the 70's?:D:thumbsup:

Congratulations, Jack! Glad they finally made it!:):thumbsup:

Two more great photos of awsome Lambsfoot knives and compasses!:cool::thumbsup: Thank's for posting!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tell me about it mate, I'm struggling myself! :D Thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

Thank's for posting the link, Jack!:thumbsup:

Dynamic, Jack! One is silver and the other is gold!:thumbsup:

But what a fine example it is! I would have never noticed the ouchy if you hadn't mentioned it!:cool::thumbsup:

An outstanding photo, Jack!! The compass and knife is a class act!:):thumbsup:

Great Yin-Yang going on there, José!:cool::thumbsup:

Great photo, Bill! Just peachy!:D:thumbsup:

Very nice A/B shot, Trav!:):thumbsup:

And what a Fine Flock it is, Mark! Well photographed!:cool::thumbsup:

No sir, taking it all in! Nice collection!;):thumbsup:

Real nice shot, Matt! Fine sunrise!:cool::thumbsup:

Fantastic photo, Dwight! :eek: Can't wait for fall!:thumbsup:

Beautifully shot, Dave! Always so artistic!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Awsome!:cool::thumbsup:At least you can face up to your veggies!:p:thumbsup:

I had a link to a better site Dennis, but it is no longer there unfortunately. It was an excellent resource :thumbsup: Thank you very much my friend :) :thumbsup:

Cool, Jack! Handy in case you get a little lost!;):thumbsup: Got one similar I'll post.

Mine today.
Repurposing Jack's tin, I call it my "Jack in the box", for when Life and Lamb are at stake! Or if you're on the Lamb! :Do_O:rolleyes:
WQNUnnW.jpg

Yeah, we all need a moral compass ;) That's perfect Dennis, cool pic :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Dave :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey, nice image of that old beauty :) :thumbsup:

G'day folks :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend, it's going to take me a while to get caught up ;) :thumbsup:

I was just intending to carry this one today...

H63ENGx.jpg

But ended up pocketing Charlie Lamb too :D ;) :thumbsup:

QJFcSti.jpg
Nice file work on the Hartshead. Was that done at the factory? Looks like the work done on their Premier line.

Paul, my friend, I’m so glad you got your beautiful Ebony Lambsfoot back home! :thumbsup: That’s a great story to boot! :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :) It’s shaping up to be a double Lambsfoot day for me! I hope y’all have a great weekend! :D :thumbsup:

48220153551_8d6ebe78c1_b_d.jpg

The best kind of day! :D Stunning pic Ron :) :thumbsup:

Thanks chaps! It's definately worth been worth the wait.:thumbsup: It's a real meaty piece of metal isn't it and the stag is fantastic especially when I compare it to previous Wright's stag I have.

Thank you I'm sure you will.:D What a fine family you have there. :thumbsup:

And I didn't even have to put up Canadian Customs.:D

What fantastic shots of old compasses. I don't recall ever seeing any in all the antique shops I've been in.

Or even the squirrels! The greys we have round my house would probably grab it to.:D

A great shot of your ironwood there. :thumbsup: They look a bit like partially machined revolver hammers.

What lovely sunny shots of the ironwood there. :thumbsup:

You are the Grillmeister of the Guardians. :D

Oh my word!! They look like the genuine article! :D And they look mighty fine to! The only pork pies I came across in the whole of Australia were in Victoria Market in Melbourne, but that's years ago now!
Great shot of it.
That's really interesting about the Greek population in Melbourne.

Now all my knives are users, but I like the blade etch on my Barlow so much I'm thinking of excusing it from aggressive patina forming duties.

Welcome!

Glad you're enjoying your Hartshead Barlow David, hopefully the etch is deep enough to last :) Yeah, I don't come across pocket compasses too often, but snap them up when I do ;)

gRCU1bk.jpg

Mine isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than the large rosewood which although looser than what it was is still something I regard as a bit of a nailbreaker. The thing with the that twin-blade though is that it's a really thick knife for something with just two blades. It's a real tank of a knife but it's the one I carry the least as I just think the pen blade just doesn't add that much to it.

x5Wykns.jpg

I've been watching our bird feeder for a couple of years now and I've come to the conclusion birds are cleverer than humans. :D

I always enjoy your libation shots. :)

I'm recovering today as I feel that yesterday at the Wolverhampton 44th Beer Festival I actually drank all the beer...:D
Xs0eodM.jpg

sK6pgP8.jpg

Which I then washed down with even more beer whilst waiting for the train in the Great Western pub.
FK7CzKO.jpg

RhYyVSm.jpg

Hope everyone has a great weekend lined up. :cool::thumbsup:

Excellent pics David :) That secondary blade is overly chunky in my opinion, I think Wright's could do a better job. Still a nice-looking knife, but the extra weight and bulk is noticeable isn't it? I have one with steel liners, great knife, but it has some heft! :eek: Hope you're feeling better soon my friend :) :thumbsup:

Time to break in this one.View attachment 1160558

Beautiful photo Alan :) :thumbsup:

Love the knife and the slip. Can you tell me if A Wright and Son still make that knife with the fluted bolster?

That pattern is exclusive to the Guardians, Wright's own knives have standard bolsters :thumbsup:

My two-bladed Wright was a desolating abomination. I modded a wreck out of Old Stubby, but it was worse when new.

That knife has been through it all! :eek: ;)

View attachment 1160565 Good morning guardians starting the day with a buffalo lambsfoot and a breakfast frittata

Great start to the day :) :thumbsup:

Heading to the Bay Area :mad: again.
Another Band Competition, the last one we get to see this season.
Their tour is taking them to Southern California for a couple of weeks to wrap up.
I'll be bringing my Lambsfoot, but it will be spending most of the day locked in the car.

Yikes, even I'M starting to dread the Bay Area! :eek: :confused: :D Hope the trip is OK John :thumbsup:

Road trip!
9yU0Yfl.jpg

Safe travels :thumbsup:

We are heading to Burney and Mccloud tomorrow .
Going to spend a few days alone with my wife and my fishing rod. :cool: :thumbsup:

Enjoy your fishing John :) :thumbsup:

Striking pic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

I enjoyed your pics of the stag HHB with a variety of old tools, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Jack, I haven't used an online Arabic to English translator this much since at least 10 years ago when I was trying to figure out the content of a table made by the 12th century Baghdad mathematician Al-Samawal! :eek::thumbsup:;)

Hearty congratulations, Jack, on those two amazing Waynorth Cutlery lambsfoots! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Lambsfoot knives crossing the Atlantic in both directions this month! That jigged bone version has really got a hold on me! :eek::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Thanks for your assistance and advice in getting both the Henderson's and the lambsfoot from York, Jack. :)

The onion tip was interesting, but I'm intrigued by the "hidden" tip about baseball gloves! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

:D:D David, I'm sure you know I made up the business about Lancastrians bearing gifts.
Congrats on picking up, in person, your stag Hartshead lambsfoot Barlow; looks like the handle occupies at least 3 dimensions - desirable feature for stag covers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Dwight, that's a splendid photo of your "twin" stag HHBs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Reality is all relative, FBC. ;) I'm just saying the Blues Bros are not as real as a "real lamb foot knife".:rolleyes: Thanks for noticing the Union Jack grain; your ironwood has even grander grain, although I almost didn't see the "W"! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Speaking of grand grain, your ironwood lambsfoot is doubly astounding, @Fixall! The parallel grain on the mark side is very distinguished, and the two-tone parabolas on the pile side say, "Party Time!" ;):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I hope you can kick that infection very soon.

W:eek:W, what a sensational pair of knives, Russell!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Something to cherish and carry with pride for all of you who had the foresight and good fortune to acquire them! :)

Here's a recent pic of Union Jack:
View attachment 1160622

- GT

Thank you very much Gary :) I've never even looked at an Arabic dictionary, and imagine the translation service is a little weird. I spoke Arabic fluently when I was young, but that was a very long time ago, and now it's beyond broken! o_O :rolleyes: It was a pleasure to be able to assist a little GT, I hope you can come over to Yorkshire yourself sometime :) Great to see Union Jack with a little patina my friend :) :thumbsup:

Gettin' ready for work in the yard today. Yee-ha!
View attachment 1160630

That's the boy for the job Bill :) :thumbsup:

Is it a novel or instruction manual?

History! :D :thumbsup:

Eggs-stir-men-ate
Such a fantastic picture, Jack. Thank you so much for taking/posting it, I made it my new desktop wallpaper. :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you John, I'm flattered :) I got some funny looks taking it! :D :thumbsup:

Nice file work on the Hartshead. Was that done at the factory? Looks like the work done on their Premier line.

The cutler who made the Hartshead Barlows made two knives like that, one for me and one for himself :) :thumbsup:

You should probably still clean out the joint. I've yet to meet the factory produced slipjoint that wasn't improved with a good cleaning. Mine had excellent walk and talk as well, but there was still a fair amount of gunk in the joint.

48257140976_40a89aa239_b.jpg

Good tip Christian :thumbsup: I must confess to being rather lax in this regard, sometimes I only notice the gunk on a half-open spring when I am taking a photo of a new knife :rolleyes:

Back