Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Gotta git me one of those!

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

I'm hoping our resident experts will chime in on this. Concerning vintage Lambfoot knife makers. Who were the makers of the now most collectable knives that were made in Sheffield? I realize things are different in these modern times and all but way back when...who were the premier names?

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Well, I'm about two (probably closer to three) weeks late posting both of these beauties, but hey... better late than never! o_O :D

TjOL3vt.jpg

I love the blade etch on both of these. The "REAL LAMBFOOT KNIFE" is simple and traditional, and the Hartshead Barlow etch is absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

EoYuNVv.jpg

I thought this was a particularly nice touch on Charlie's Lambsfoot. :cool:

RepOin8.jpg

To Jack Black Jack Black , @waynorth and the folks at Wright's and GEC -- well done all around! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well, I'm about two (probably closer to three) weeks late posting both of these beauties, but hey... better late than never! o_O :D

TjOL3vt.jpg

I love the blade etch on both of these. The "REAL LAMBFOOT KNIFE" is simple and traditional, and the Hartshead Barlow etch is absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

EoYuNVv.jpg

RepOin8.jpg

To Jack Black Jack Black , @waynorth and the folks at Wright's and GEC -- well done all around! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Two beauties Barrett! :thumbsup: They are instant classics! :) :thumbsup:

TjOL3vt.jpg

EoYuNVv.jpg

RepOin8.jpg

Great pair and pictures Barrett:cool::thumbsup:

Hello Guardians!
That side reminds me of Cases Bonestag, Jeff. I have wondered the same thing and pondered adding Iodine or Betadine for color. Possibly even mixed with Pot. Perm.?
I might just give that a try, probably on a less valued knife first to see the effects.
Yes, a Potassium Permanganate solution would be my suggestion, gents. I often use it, applied with a fine artists paintbrush to ‘liven up’ a piece of dull stag or bone. I brush it on as if ‘shading’ the grooves, then leave it for a minute or two, and wipe off with tissue paper, then polish with a piece of buffing compound loaded scrap leather. PM me for details if you like. Also bear in mind that so called ‘natural stag’ antler has often already had that treatment applied to it before it has been sold to knifemakers. (But make sure the paintbrush is no longer used, as the PP solution will chew up and disintegrate the bristles.)

Thanks!
Thanks for the stropping info. I know there's at least one thread on it over in the maintenance & tinkering forum. It seems there are different ways of doing it: slack or stiff backed, leather or balsa wood, loaded or not, etc. I'll just have to sit myself down and practice to find what works for me.
Good morning, Guardians!
jDgpInx.jpg

Yes, that’s the best approach to have, I think, Rachel.:thumbsup:

Thank you Chin. Greatly enjoyed your post as always! :)

Cheers Dwight!:)

Excellent post, like all of yours Chin, great information and photography.

Thank you kindly, Preston!:thumbsup:

Fantastic pics Chin, sorry to race through your posts (and those of others) a bit today :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack - no worries at all, I’m glad to see you out and about, my friend.:)

Fine pic of your ebony with the sun coming through your beverage, Chin. :cool::thumbsup::cool: And several superior shots of your stag HHB in the post, too.
I didn't realize that the "homilies" were actually part of the medicine ad! :eek::rolleyes:
Tubes are terrific treasures, Chin, but can the labels be trusted?? :rolleyes::thumbsup::cool: I wanna see the contents, capice? How many members does the Australian chapter have now?

Thanks GT. OK, far be it from me to keep you in suspense, my friend.:p;):)

3D65E9E3-9B54-421B-A5A0-15EAA8B07AB4.jpeg

This is a quick pic I took before meeting up with cudgee cudgee to pass on his Waynorth Lambsfoot. These are really breathtaking knives. I’ll write a fuller review when I’ve had time to sharpen mine up and put it to a bit of use.

I’m glad to hear that Cudgee put his to work straight away!

I'm very grateful to Charlie, who graciously ensured that the Australian chapter of the Guardians were looked after.:thumbsup::cool::)

I pocketed mine for a weekend out in the bush:

93F94D84-38B6-4239-B7E2-0EA0B2D4AD8B.jpeg

GT, I’d say that besides Cudgee and myself, there are two other Guardians in Oz. @meako is currently in delinquent member status :eek::D:p;) not having posted a Lambsfoot here for a while. However, old hands will recall, he is infamous for Ol’ Snotty (or Kermit), a named Lambsfoot which he dyed a certain shade of green, and which has done the rounds of a few Porch members. If I recall aright, it’s now with @redsparrow ?

Then there’s my friend 1500international, who no longer maintains an account here, I believe, but who is most certainly a Guardian of the Lambsfoot of the first order. When I started posting here, he contacted me privately and invited me to look over his marvellous collection. The Harrison Brothers and Howson Lambsfoot knife posted recently is from his collection, as well as the other extraordinary pieces linked in the quoted post.

Thanks Chin, as I really enjoy your posts. :thumbsup: I could start carrying two lambsfoot I guess :D
David! Do you mean to tell me you only carry ONE Lambsfoot! And there I was, thinking what a top bloke you were! I’m surprised they let you into Yorkshire at all, mate! LOL!:D:p;)

I found myself with three in my pocketses, while I was up in the High Country this weekend, which is no doubt a bit excessive.;):eek: (The Hartshead and Waynorth were for photo opps, and the Ironwood 2019 is my current favourite user.)

8433774E-672B-4327-ADDE-68D658642325.jpeg

Thank you Chin. Most interesting about Greece's relationship with Australia! Always enjoy your posts my friend.

Thanks again, Dwight. ANZAC soldiers actually dug in at the pass at Thermopylae during the Greek campaign in WW2, fighting a delaying action against a German battle group.

A fascinating post, as always, Chin :) Not sure how you managed that on your phone! :D :thumbsup:
Yes...I was going to reply with the same thoughts. I want to know the details!

Cheers fellas, ha ha it takes a long time. I’d say 90% of my posts are done on the phone!
Thanks Chin - I very much appreciated your help in the matter.
Bill
My pleasure Bill. Good to see you enjoying your new Lambsfoot, and posting great photos like this:
Beautiful day in paradise.View attachment 1159925

Another fine post, Chin. I always learn something interesting from your posts. :thumbsup:
Thanks Kevin, that FB Lambsfoot is lookin’ good. Are you going with a swayback handle shape, too?
48253001646_5906932d15_h.jpg

Have a rockin' weekend Guardians!

Great knife, great album!:cool:

I'll be making mine out of 52100 as soon as I get to feeling better!:cool::thumbsup:

Outstanding, my friend. I hope you feel better soon. I’d love to see a Lambsfoot in 52100 steel. It takes a great edge, IMHO.

Oh my word!! They look like the genuine article! :D And they look mighty fine to! The only pork pies I came across in the whole of Australia were in Victoria Market in Melbourne, but that's years ago now!
Great shot of it.
That's really interesting about the Greek population in Melbourne.

I found a place in Dandenong that makes them, David. I had an interesting chat with Rob the butcher who is from Newark Nottinghamshire, but worked at a butchers in Yorkshire. He said that Australian weather conditions mandate the use of cured pork, but apart from that, they are the definitely the genuine article. When I mentioned that a mate in Lancashire had put me onto the English Pork Pie, he said to tell you he does a great cheese and onion pie too - he said you’ll know what he means.;):thumbsup:

3E70E0A0-D047-4743-86B9-B36E85AD22FE.jpeg
EBC32CEE-9CD6-4F47-BF75-1EB6439CA122.jpeg

Oh ya, happy Friday Guardians! Hope you get to spend your weekend in a way that is rewarding and refreshes your brain. GET OUTSIDE!
I followed your good advice Taylor!;):cool:
300784E4-D5BA-4E0D-90A2-A3ED5E87E0BB.jpeg
517E9A8B-DA58-4658-BD16-0471CDC9F0CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Another compass. Had this one since the '80s...
erAckCX.jpg
That is a way cool pic, Dennis!

Good morning, afternoon and evening all. Three days of rain on the way. I LOVE IT. :DView attachment 1161189
Stunning pic, like usual, Dwight! I look forward to this thread for a number of reasons, your pics are high on that list! :thumbsup:

Nice collection of lambs there, Preston!

Beautiful ebony guys! Great pics!

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg
Holy cow @OLd_gUY, what a herd that is! :eek::thumbsup:

...My Hartshead is both thicker and heavier than my twin-blade.:)
46PGHY6.jpg
Wow, those HH are some stout knives! Interesting perspective pic! :thumbsup:

That herd would bring top dollar at the saleyards on market day!!!
Great pics, everyone. Grats to all :cool: I'm sorry to sound so abrupt, but due to the rapid pace of this wonderful thread, I get more than a little overwhelmed when trying to comment on all the fine pics posted by y'all. Must be old age catching up with me a little :( Guess it will be clicking the "like" button from now on. Hope that will suffice and isn't too impolite.

When I was a kid, my favorite sandwich was tuna and baloney (bologna):eek: Not sure how I came up with that combo :confused: Could talk my mom into making it only once in a while, though. My Dad's favorite was baloney and peanut butter. Every once in a while a bite would get stuck to his roof of his mouth and he'd try to work it loose with his tongue. Your post jogged a sudden memory flash of my mom saying "George, would you PLEASE go into the bathroom" while he was fervently trying to work it loose sitting at the table :rolleyes:

That is a fantastic tale :cool:
Looking forward to the next installment :thumbsup: Great knife pic :thumbsup:

Yep, for sure. I use the Sharpmaker or a set of Spydercos on my KME. But most of the time, a strop keeps them plenty sharp for my light use.

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg

Great pics, everyone. Grats to all :cool: I'm sorry to sound so abrupt, but due to the rapid pace of this wonderful thread, I get more than a little overwhelmed when trying to comment on all the fine pics posted by y'all. Must be old age catching up with me a little :( Guess it will be clicking the "like" button from now on. Hope that will suffice and isn't too impolite.

When I was a kid, my favorite sandwich was tuna and baloney (bologna):eek: Not sure how I came up with that combo :confused: Could talk my mom into making it only once in a while, though. My Dad's favorite was baloney and peanut butter. Every once in a while a bite would get stuck to his roof of his mouth and he'd try to work it loose with his tongue. Your post jogged a sudden memory flash of my mom saying "George, would you PLEASE go into the bathroom" while he was fervently trying to work it loose sitting at the table :rolleyes:

That is a fantastic tale :cool:
Looking forward to the next installment :thumbsup: Great knife pic :thumbsup:

Yep, for sure. I use the Sharpmaker or a set of Spydercos on my KME. But most of the time, a strop keeps them plenty sharp for my light use.

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg
That is a herd of high quality thoroughbreds OG and nicely portrayed. Don't worry about commenting on everything but please know this - I always enjoy your posts, humor, anecdotes and other contributions.

Stunning pic, like usual, Dwight! I look forward to this thread for a number of reasons, your pics are high on that list!
Thank you Matt. Your kind words are greatly appreciated my friend.

Had a nice drive up to McCloud through the mountains. Beautiful evening, took a walk around town and had a nice dinner. Drove out to check the river, now back at the hotel. I won't be on here too much in the next couple of days, so you'll have to excuse my limited "Quote and Respond."

The Hotel

The River

The Lamb

Had a nice drive up to McCloud through the mountains. Beautiful evening, took a walk around town and had a nice dinner. Drove out to check the river, now back at the hotel. I won't be on here too much in the next couple of days, so you'll have to excuse my limited "Quote and Respond."

The Hotel

The River

The Lamb
I just checked it out John, it looks like a nice stay.:thumbsup::cool:

Back