Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

More stars in your heavenly crown for not keeping score.

Thanks Jer :D Unfortunately, I have gifted folks the same thing more than once due to my poor memory :rolleyes:

Great pics Jack. That Gilpin hatchet looks like a rare find. Many of the old axes you find here have mushroomed polls and flared eyes from sledging fenceposts.:eek:

Thanks pal, the Gilpin was given to me by@scruffUK, who not only cleaned and polished it, but re-hafted it :) He also made me a small leather mask to protect the edge :thumbsup: I come across quite a lot of axes and hatchets myself (including a larger Gilpin at the weekend, but that was in an antiques centre, and it was expensive), and have gifted most of them to friends and neighbours. I see a lot with mushroomed polls too though :(

Any drugstore should have Potassium Permanganate crystals Jeff. It’s also known as Condy’s Crystals. It’s commonly used as a wound disinfectant. It’s actually also very useful to keep in survival kits. A teaspoon of PP crystals and the same quantity of glycerin or antifreeze will chemically react to start a fire. A very small amount will also reliably sterilise water for drinking.:thumbsup:

But definitely keep it away from nitric acid! :eek: :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend. Now that David @donn has got me onto those delicious pork pies, I’m going to have to try out those Cornish Pasties next time!:thumbsup:

I do love an oggie :) :thumbsup:

I’m going to have to start this recipe off with a couple of disclaimers.

Firstly, the Lambsfoot pics are for illustration only, and may not represent this actual recipe!

Secondly, if you are familar with traditional North African harissa, this is not that, but my own modified version.

I can however vouch for the fact that a Lambsfoot knife works well to prep the ingredients and the end product is absolutely delicious as a sauce, dip or marinade for meat or vegetables. (The harissa itself is vegetarian.)

‘Chillies’ are the same as what are called ‘Peppers’ in the US. Don’t get hung up on acquiring the exact same chilli peppers, just use whatever you have available in your area and whatever quantity takes you to the heat level you are comfortable with. Dried or fresh are both fine, the only proviso being they should be red in colour.

The green herbs are optional. Mint would be traditional in North Africa, but I quite like a little coriander/cilantro. I like to see some small green specks suspended in each spoonful of harissa, but you can leave it out if you want the harissa to last longer.

32XlDwh.jpg

Chin's Harissa

12 dried red Kashmiri chillies
6 fresh red Thai chillies
6-10 garlic cloves
1 small onion
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs coriander/cilantro seed
1 tbs caraway seed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
Fresh mint or parsley or coriander/cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon and some zest of same.
6 cherry tomatoes or 1 tbs tomato paste
Salt
Optional - 1 red capsicum/red bell pepper for a milder blend

Cover dried chillies with just boiled water and soak in the cooling liquid for about 20 minutes.

Toast coriander seeds, cumin, caraway seeds in a pan on medium to low heat (preferably cast iron).

Grind toasted spices with mortar and pestle.

Add spices, soaked red chillis, fresh chillis, garlic, onion, green herbs, olive oil, salt and lemon juice/lemon zest to blender.

Blend until smooth.

Enjoy!:)

YpU1Pqz.jpg

9yJSRLS.jpg

I'm definitely saving your recipe Chin, it looks marvellous :) Fantastic Lambsfoot content too ;) :thumbsup:

Such things are just not done Jack. ;)

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Well thank you Jack! Your generosity will not be forgotten my friend!:eek::thumbsup:

It's packaged up, and will be on its way soon Dennis :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - loved the pics of the 3 you sharpened up.

Love my Ironwood.:)

9jYYeLr.jpg

Thank you Mark, excellent pic of your '19 :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning all...
Had to cut out a big mud wasp nest from the from landing of the house. Man, were those little buggers ticked off! But the Hartshead made short work of it along with some spray cleaner and I made it out of there unscathed.

View attachment 1161785

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Sounds like you make a great team Bill :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! Lots of great posts to catch up on this morning! :thumbsup:
q7OWoXP.jpg

Great pic :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Spent the first hour of the morning fishing a little creek. Caught a ton of really small fish.
I will hunt down some bigger fish this evening...But the little guys were a ton of fun to catch.

Glad you're having a great time John, thanks for taking us along :) :thumbsup:

Isn't that something, we get flooded out, tired of the rain, then we can't wait to finally get some!
Terrific photo, Dwight!
:D Tis true... tis true... :D

Fantastic photo, Dwight! The Damascus is grand
Thanks brother!

When the first civilian GPS were being launched, as equipment editor of the UK's oldest outdoor publication, I was invited to a press launch in the English Lake District by one of the manufacturers. We listened through what was a rather tediously-presented and overly-long lecture before going out to field-test the UK's first civilian GPS. We walked halfway up one of the Lake District's better-known hills before our glorious leader turned on the device - only to find that the batteries were flat!
Ain't it so... :D

such as this Barlow I was kindly loaned for a while, made for the Australian market, with two full-size blades, a Clip and a Lambsfoot (seen here outside the old TEW works)
What a beauty! Jack is this the knife Rob acquired?

Fab photo Dwight
Thank you Jack.

Good Morning! Yesterday afternoon we had a Tornado warning, it came down North of us 30 miles away. The tornado missed the local town it was near, it was the hail that came with it, that flattened a large area of crops, estimated to be in the millions damage.
Todays Lambsfoot is the Black Prince :D have a great day Guardians.
Dave I think the fire ants, the armadillos and the tornados are all slowly migrating north.

Thanks Dwight, I like the way the damascus ‘raindrop’ patterning echoes the rippled water. An exceptional photo, my friend.
Thank you Chin. :) Love the recipe you shared!

Enjoy the rain showers, Dwight and what a great photo of your Ironwoods!
Thank you Mark. :)

IMG_3993.jpeg

What a beauty! Jack is this the knife Rob acquired?

Thank you Jack.

Dave I think the fire ants, the armadillos and the tornados are all slowly migrating north.

Thank you Chin. :) Love the recipe you shared!

Thank you Mark. :)

View attachment 1161820

It is indeed Dwight, if you remember he sent it over here for a month :) Great pic of your Waynorth :) :thumbsup:

@mitch4ging Thank you Dennis. Anything worn that is comfortable, is something I would be loath to discard. Your biggest compass image is a fine one.

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you Jack. That older two bladed Lamb Image is rip roaring nice. That older TEW double bladed Barlow is a honey.

dc50 dc50 So glad you’re safe Dave. Always a pleasure seeing your Guardian Ebony.

@Cambertree If you wrote a Bog, I would subscribe to it. Very enjoyable. As there are so many beautiful Lambsfoot knives, so are there some vey fine writers here.

That image with the Lambsfoot on top of the veggies is brilliant.

@Ramrodmb I will do so as soon as possible. Thank you for asking, Mark. Great look at your Ironwood Lambsfoot.

JohnDF JohnDF enjoyed seeing a bit of your fishing exploits, John.

Prester John Prester John Loved your humerous Lambsfoot and Man’s best friend image, Vince.

@Foddering your Waynorth image is a fine one, Dwight.

God Morning Guardians.
0F21CFEC-69D7-4437-A405-D90A37387AFE.jpeg

Thank you, Jack. My Guardian Friends are always with me as long as I'm totin' a Lambsfoot. :)

Very true brother :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you Jack. That older two bladed Lamb Image is rip roaring nice. That older TEW double bladed Barlow is a honey.

God Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1161829

Thank you Harvey, you just reminded me, I need to dig it out and take a comparison pic with my Hartshead Barlow :) I think Rob managed to find a second model too, great finds :) :thumbsup:

3BkgdCh.jpg

@Cambertree very kindly brought me this superb book from Australia :) :thumbsup:

Scrumptious pic Harvey! :) :thumbsup:

Glad it wasn't in your vicinity, Dave!:eek: Stay safe up there! I hate tornado season!:mad::thumbsdown:, and the hail is so destructive!
Great photo of the Black Prince, Dave!:cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dennis it used to be just hail, now for added exciment, they throw in the odd twister.:eek:
Cool pic, Dave! The Black Prince is very dapper. Lay low when those twisters come through, buddy.:eek:
Thank you, my friend, we sure will :D
Hang onto your hat my friend! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:
Will do Jack,:thumbsup::p
Good morning Guardians! I do believe that everything is coming up Rosie this morning! :thumbsup: :)
Rosie that's the sign of a positive day Ron. :thumbsup:;)
You could be right Dwight,even Canada Customs can't stop them at the border.:p
dc50 dc50 So glad you’re safe Dave. Always a pleasure seeing your Guardian Ebony.
Thank you kindly Harvey,:D

Question Jack Black Jack Black - Given how easy it is to hone these various lambsfoot knives, do you maximize their sharpness or simply maintain the bevels they originally came with?

What a great piece, Greg, I really enjoyed reading that! Thanks for putting it together, and I look forward to any other posts you’ll write in that same vein.

Great pics Jack. That Gilpin hatchet looks like a rare find. Many of the old axes you find here have mushroomed polls and flared eyes from sledging fenceposts.:eek:

Thanks Dwight, I like the way the damascus ‘raindrop’ patterning echoes the rippled water. An exceptional photo, my friend.:):thumbsup:

Any drugstore should have Potassium Permanganate crystals Jeff. It’s also known as Condy’s Crystals. It’s commonly used as a wound disinfectant. It’s actually also very useful to keep in survival kits. A teaspoon of PP crystals and the same quantity of glycerin or antifreeze will chemically react to start a fire. A very small amount will also reliably sterilise water for drinking.:thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis! I agree, they really are stunning knives.:cool:

Definitely my friend. Three is two, two is one...

Ah but I’d be heartbroken to lose any of my Preciousessss!;):D

Thanks my friend. Now that David @donn has got me onto those delicious pork pies, I’m going to have to try out those Cornish Pasties next time!:thumbsup:

Ok, thanks for the waiver, Jack - I’m going to have to start this recipe off with a couple of disclaimers.

Firstly, the Lambsfoot pics are for illustration only, and may not represent this actual recipe!

Secondly, if you are familar with traditional North African harissa, this is not that, but my own modified version.

I can however vouch for the fact that a Lambsfoot knife works well to prep the ingredients and the end product is absolutely delicious as a sauce, dip or marinade for meat or vegetables. (The harissa itself is vegetarian.)

‘Chillies’ are the same as what are called ‘Peppers’ in the US. Don’t get hung up on acquiring the exact same chilli peppers, just use whatever you have available in your area and whatever quantity takes you to the heat level you are comfortable with. Dried or fresh are both fine, the only proviso being they should be red in colour.

The green herbs are optional. Mint would be traditional in North Africa, but I quite like a little coriander/cilantro. I like to see some small green specks suspended in each spoonful of harissa, but you can leave it out if you want the harissa to last longer.

32XlDwh.jpg

Chin's Harissa

12 dried red Kashmiri chillies
6 fresh red Thai chillies
6-10 garlic cloves
1 small onion
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs coriander/cilantro seed
1 tbs caraway seed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
Fresh mint or parsley or coriander/cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon and some zest of same.
6 cherry tomatoes or 1 tbs tomato paste
Salt
Optional - 1 red capsicum/red bell pepper for a milder blend

Cover dried chillies with just boiled water and soak in the cooling liquid for about 20 minutes.

Toast coriander seeds, cumin, caraway seeds in a pan on medium to low heat (preferably cast iron).

Grind toasted spices with mortar and pestle.

Add spices, soaked red chillis, fresh chillis, garlic, onion, green herbs, olive oil, salt and lemon juice/lemon zest to blender.

Blend until smooth.

Enjoy!:)

YpU1Pqz.jpg

9yJSRLS.jpg

Chin, thank you for the kind words and most especially for the mouth watering recipe and accompanying photos. I'll be trying it out soon!

I owe you (and others) some other replies. I hope to get to that today. In the meantime I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Question Jack Black Jack Black - Given how easy it is to hone these various lambsfoot knives, do you maximize their sharpness or simply maintain the bevels they originally came with?

It depends Christian. The factory edges aren't bad at Wright's these days, and they tend to be ground even, but some prefer less steel behind the edge. On the advice of @Cambertree and WhittlinAway WhittlinAway I reprofiled my Rosewood Big 'Un to 15 DPS, and it certainly works OK, but those guys use their knives a lot harder than I do these days. I also think that I'm less obsessed with the sharpness of my knives than I was a few years ago, when I wouldn't have dreamed of carrying a trad knife without first sharpening it to shaving sharp. Of course I also have a lot more knives to take care of! :D These days, so long as a new knife is sharp, I'm happy to carry it for a while before putting a better edge on it. Most of my knives I sharpen at 20 DPS or thereabouts, and that really works OK for me. I've had LF knives from other manufacturers in the past, which I've re-profiled because I wasn't happy with the grind. It's certainly a lot easier to do with a straight-edged blade than one with some belly :thumbsup:

Back