Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

38477367694_a143ce3802_h.jpg

Cambertree Cambertree Chin, great to see you back. It is absolutely wonderful to hear of your adventures, hopefully you can get your phone situation squared away with little fuss. I also empathize with you in regards to your country's rather draconian approach to knife ownership and use. I think we here in the states often forget that the freedoms most of us enjoy are limited to the scope of our borders and it can be rather easy for us to take them for granted. We can always hope for a day when more sensible men and women take office and stump for more positive changes when it comes to knife laws and beyond.

Thanks very much Dylan. Yes, never take those hard won freedoms for granted, my friend. To be honest, it's not too bad here, as long as you don't go brandishing a machete in a city pub, but the current Act in Victoria gives an unreasonable latitude to individual police officers 'interpretation' IMO. And of course there's the usual divide between rural and modern urban cultural norms - one of improvisation and adaptability for which a pocket cutting tool is a necessary article of your daily wear, and the other of paying other people to do anything which might soil your hands, and for whom any sharp or pointy object is nervously viewed as a latent weapon. I'm making a grossly unfair generalisation of course, but moving between the two worlds, I do notice that some of my city friends would have real difficulty in changing a car tyre for example, whereas I have seen my country mates consider a blown out 4X4 tyre sidewall bead separated from the rim, miles from any 'help', then fix the problem with a can of deodorant sprayed inside the tyre and lit with a newspaper taper to expand the tyre and force it back onto the rim. If you were to go into any country bakery or cafe on a Sunday morning, it would probably be unusual to see a man not with a small leather belt sheath.

I'm not sure what steel he uses actually, but John Maleham may know.

Yes, me too mate! :D Historically, Sheffield is supposed to have had more pubs and ale-houses, per head of population, than any other place in the country! :eek: :D

When I was a boy, up to about the age of 10, my paternal grandparents lived in a small terraced house on a cobbled street. It was classified as a slum, and torn down as one under the British Slum Clearance Act. At the time, they had two adult sons, a teenage son, and two daughters. The house was so small, one of my aunties used to have to sleep in my great-grandmother's house two doors down. The living room, which Sheffield people call the 'house', was small and crowded, there were a few fading photographs, but very few ornaments, if any. In the corner of the room, against the wall, was a small table, on which my grandmother would leave bread to rise. Under the table was my Khukri knife and a couple of WW1 bayonets. An old sideboard next to it was full of all sorts of uncared-for junk - books and a few lead toys from my father's childhood, the war medals and insignia of various family members, my uncle's old sailor's hat, old penknives, catapults, etc. There was no reverence for any of this stuff, and it was just given to me to play with. Along with the various buttons and badges, I found a wee medal or pocket-watch fob, and it was one of the few things which survived with me to adulthood, stuck in a box or drawer at my parents house. It was actually made of hallmarked silver, with the face beautifully enamelled in red, blue, and white. It had the phoenix, as above, and if I remember correctly, the legend, 'British Iron & Steel Confederation'. Where it came from I have no idea, but when I set up my company Jack Black Knives, with the hope of making decent knives in Sheffield, something which certainly wasn't happening there in the 90's, I thought the phoenix would make a nice symbol, and got my brother to reproduce the symbol from the old silver fob. Sadly, I no longer have the fob, and 'Jack Black Knives' is just a minor episode in 20th century Sheffield cutlery history. The few knives produced at Portland Works however, are well-loved by the small number of people who have them, and others certainly benefited from the project, including other Sheffield cutlers.

Great stuff mate, I always enjoy reading your reminiscences on your lived Sheffield history.

I suppose the medal/fob would have looked something like this?

heCRip5.jpg

Cool union badge.

I was thinking of the many representations of the Phoenix I saw in Ireland, but particularly this striking image of a Phoenix rising from the burnt out shell of Dublin's GPO in 1916, on a building on the Falls Road, in Belfast's 'Wild West'.

IirCqOv.jpg

Interesting that the federation of the Iron and Steelworkers unions represented by that badge occurred only a year after the events in Dublin in 1916, so I suppose that image was in general currency then, among some circles. Apparently the newsletter of the 'Federation is also called 'The Phoenix'.

I'm enjoying seeing all the ebony Lambsfoot knives out at the moment, keep 'em coming, my friends!

BxwtpPi.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to catch up properly on this thread tomorrow, but, in the mean time, thank you Cambertree Cambertree and Pàdruig Pàdruig for your offers to help on the indexing effort once things settle down for you. I'll PM you each tomorrow with the indexing instructions so that, at your convenience, you can get an idea of the process, and then you can let me know when you're ready.

I can keep up with reading the stimulating, content-rich posts in this thread, but I can't seem to make as much time as I'd like to respond to the posts I find most interesting. :( Just a quick post to use up another seasonal lambsfoot pic before the season has slipped away! Rosewood lambsfoot on a sleigh ride with some oversized Christmas ornaments:
HKLjMkp.jpg

- GT

Thanks Leslie :D I was just looking on his site, some of those reground Lambsfoot blades look a bit 'stubby' in my opinion, and more akin to a Sheepsfoot. Again, maybe it is the camera angles to some extent, but I'm not sure the modification is a good one. I think you're right to stick with a standard blade. I remember having a Sheepsfoot which Trevor Ablett rounded like that, he softened the blade though :( Yes, the horn looks very good, and the wood too, and the prices on his site are fair I think. TEW use some Ram's horn, but their blades are all stainless. I would like to maybe get some knives made up using exterior Sheep's horn, like this :thumbsup:

3_1-2_x_1_exterior_sheep_horn_medium_.jpg

All joking aside Leslie, it's good to have you here ;) :thumbsup:
Just sign me up now for the Exterior Ramshorn Jack !!!!!!!

Harry

Thanks Leslie :D I was just looking on his site, some of those reground Lambsfoot blades look a bit 'stubby' in my opinion, and more akin to a Sheepsfoot. Again, maybe it is the camera angles to some extent, but I'm not sure the modification is a good one. I think you're right to stick with a standard blade. I remember having a Sheepsfoot which Trevor Ablett rounded like that, he softened the blade though :( Yes, the horn looks very good, and the wood too, and the prices on his site are fair I think. TEW use some Ram's horn, but their blades are all stainless. I would like to maybe get some knives made up using exterior Sheep's horn, like this :thumbsup:

Now that looks like it would make some very interesting handles!

I'll have to catch up properly on this thread tomorrow, but, in the mean time, thank you Cambertree Cambertree and Pàdruig Pàdruig for your offers to help on the indexing effort once things settle down for you. I'll PM you each tomorrow with the indexing instructions so that, at your convenience, you can get an idea of the process, and then you can let me know when you're ready.

Good stuff, Greg. I'm looking forward to hearing from you, and being able to contribute to this project.:thumbsup::)

Beautiful Lambsfoot my friend :) Cool pic tooo! :D While I also like the recent ebony Wright's have been using, I hope they can get some of that jet black stuff again :thumbsup:

Great stuff mate, I always enjoy reading your reminiscences on your lived Sheffield history.

I suppose the medal/fob would have looked something like this?

heCRip5.jpg

Cool union badge.

I was thinking of the many representations of the Phoenix I saw in Ireland, but particularly this striking image of the Phoenix rising from the burnt out shell of Dublin's GPO in 1916, on a building on the Falls Road, in Belfast's 'Wild West'.

IirCqOv.jpg

Interesting that the federation of the Iron and Steelworkers unions represented by that badge occurred only a year after the events in Dublin in 1916, so I suppose that image was in general currency then, among some circles. Apparently the newsletter of the 'Federation is also called 'The Phoenix'.

I'm enjoying seeing all the ebony Lambsfoot knives out at the moment, keep 'em coming, my friends!

BxwtpPi.jpg

Thanks pal :) WOW! Yes, that is it! :eek: Outstanding Google-Fu my friend :) Well done :thumbsup: My fob looked to be older than that example, and had a wee ring to attach to a chain, but there's no doubt the image is the same :) Maybe I can even hunt one down, and in any case, I'll enjoy learning more - I had mine before the internet of course. Thanks for making my day :thumbsup:

I'm actually carrying my Guardians Lambsfoot today, but my ebony Lambsfoot is definitely due some pocket-time :) Nice pic Chin :thumbsup:

AW Ebony Lambsfoot 14-7.JPG

I can keep up with reading the stimulating, content-rich posts in this thread, but I can't seem to make as much time as I'd like to respond to the posts I find most interesting. :( Just a quick post to use up another seasonal lambsfoot pic before the season has slipped away! Rosewood lambsfoot on a sleigh ride with some oversized Christmas ornaments:
HKLjMkp.jpg

- GT

A busy time for sure GT, loving your festive Lambsfoot pics :) :thumbsup:

Just sign me up now for the Exterior Ramshorn Jack !!!!!!!

Now that looks like it would make some very interesting handles!

LOL! :D I'll need to get samples first! Then do some arm-twisting! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone whose helping out with the indexing, really appreciate it folks :thumbsup:

Carrying my Guardians Lambsfoot today :) :thumbsup:

AWSFO 17-4.JPG

Yeah, definitely! I've no experience of dealing with them. Wright's have tried using domestic ram's horn in the past, but found it difficult to work with because the top layer can flake off. With a custom knife, you'd build that into the cost, but with Wright's prices, I can understand why they are wary of it, you'd end up with too many 'wasters'. Buying in ready-made covers might be a solution, but I'd need to buy a few to try first, and then persuade them to experiment. I do think some ovine horn would be cool on a Lambsfoot. I know TEW use it on some of their high-end (Russell White) knives, and Michael May is using it, but in this case the horn is polished, and while it looks attractive, I think the exterior horn could look really special :thumbsup:

I think I have mentioned this before in this thread awhile back but have you paid any attention to the Roundhead Euro-Barlows that Lionsteel made for CollectorKnives? I know they may not be your style as they are more of a modern take on a classic pattern but the reason I bring them up is the Ram's horn that they used for some of the covers. In many of the examples that members in this sub have displayed, the horn has varied from rough to smooth, blonde to black , and everything in between it would appear. I have wondered what particular sheep's horn they use, perhaps it is likely that it is native to Italy where Lionsteel is located.

I do not want to veer too off topic but it might be worth taking a gander at some of the horn covered examples in the Roundhead thread whenever you have a spare moment or two. The sheer variety of examples shown is such a treat to experience and I could easily envision such covers on the venerable Lambsfoot.

Thanks very much Dylan. Yes, never take those hard won freedoms for granted, my friend. To be honest, it's not too bad here, as long as you don't go brandishing a machete in a city pub, but the current Act in Victoria gives an unreasonable latitude to individual police officers 'interpretation' IMO. And of course there's the usual divide between rural and modern urban cultural norms - one of improvisation and adaptability for which a pocket cutting tool is a necessary article of your daily wear, and the other of paying other people to do anything which might soil your hands, and for whom any sharp or pointy object is nervously viewed as a latent weapon. I'm making a grossly unfair generalisation of course, but moving between the two worlds, I do notice that some of my city friends would have real difficulty in changing a car tyre for example, whereas I have seen my country mates consider a blown out 4X4 tyre sidewall bead separated from the rim, miles from any 'help', then fix the problem with a can of deodorant sprayed inside the tyre and lit with a newspaper taper to expand the tyre and force it back onto the rim. If you were to go into any country bakery or cafe on a Sunday morning, it would probably be unusual to see a man not with a small leather belt sheath.

I completely understand what you are conveying. I grew up on a farm so it was very, very rare to have to call on somebody else to come out and fix something. We were used to fixing or making stuff ourselves and knives were a big fixture in our upbringing. When I took a job in the nearby city, I soon discovered that it was not unusual for my co-workers to not have a knife in their pocket. They just didn't see the same value in a cutting tool like I did. What I find bizarre and more than a little amusing is that many of these co-workers have become very good friends of mine and despite 15 years they still frequently ask to use my knife when we hang out, as opposed to simply getting one of their own.... I keep threatening to buy them all a solid pocket knife but sadly I think it would simply end up in a drawer somewhere, never to be used...

While I also like the recent ebony Wright's have been using, I hope they can get some of that jet black stuff again :thumbsup:

Yes! This would please me immensely. There is such a luster to that good black stuff that isn't present on the alternative.

Frosty morning this morning...

IG5NUii.jpg

5Cgt9FW.jpg

Your Sheep horn looks great! ^^:thumbsup:
Sheep (Rams) Horn has the benefit of being far more stable than Ox Horn or Buffalo Horn. You don't see sheep horn handle shrink, warp, twist or alot of the issues that plague Ox/Buffalo Horn. imo

Last edited:
The perfect Pear! The nice thing about a sharp knife is, it doesn't stutter at the navel nor the stem; just zips through them all. And this after breaking down dozens of boxes and opening dozens of Christmas cards!!
The pear was lightly crispy, and juicy sweet!!:)
Pear 1.jpg Pear 2.jpg Pear 3.jpg

I guess this will be my application for the position of :

Probationary Interim Muckraker of the Guardians

I noticed this thread quite a while ago (when I was still firmly entrenched in "lurk mode") and didn't pay it much heed, then a few months ago I decided to start reading through it from the beginning learning about the lambsfoot and it's history. It's not every day you come across a knife you were completely unaware of with all the info at once.

I knew I was interested in trying one of these out but told myself that I would read through the entirety of the thread before I did so.

Well, that task was accomplished on Dec. 5th, so on December 6th I placed an order :D

... and here they are!

Xad0Y5x.jpg

The small one has a pruner handle and has rather well matched white splotches on both sides.
jrsMr9T.jpg

kCex0KR.jpg

They both have strong snap after having the pivots cleaned up, and look quite good overall. Although, both blades were a bit overzealous at the grinder around the sharpening notch.

The small is just about perfect, however I'm going to have to play with the large a bit to iron some things out... but I'll save that for another time.

I think I have mentioned this before in this thread awhile back but have you paid any attention to the Roundhead Euro-Barlows that Lionsteel made for CollectorKnives? I know they may not be your style as they are more of a modern take on a classic pattern but the reason I bring them up is the Ram's horn that they used for some of the covers. In many of the examples that members in this sub have displayed, the horn has varied from rough to smooth, blonde to black , and everything in between it would appear. I have wondered what particular sheep's horn they use, perhaps it is likely that it is native to Italy where Lionsteel is located.

I do not want to veer too off topic but it might be worth taking a gander at some of the horn covered examples in the Roundhead thread whenever you have a spare moment or two. The sheer variety of examples shown is such a treat to experience and I could easily envision such covers on the venerable Lambsfoot.

I completely understand what you are conveying. I grew up on a farm so it was very, very rare to have to call on somebody else to come out and fix something. We were used to fixing or making stuff ourselves and knives were a big fixture in our upbringing. When I took a job in the nearby city, I soon discovered that it was not unusual for my co-workers to not have a knife in their pocket. They just didn't see the same value in a cutting tool like I did. What I find bizarre and more than a little amusing is that many of these co-workers have become very good friends of mine and despite 15 years they still frequently ask to use my knife when we hang out, as opposed to simply getting one of their own.... I keep threatening to buy them all a solid pocket knife but sadly I think it would simply end up in a drawer somewhere, never to be used...

Yes! This would please me immensely. There is such a luster to that good black stuff that isn't present on the alternative.

Frosty morning this morning...

IG5NUii.jpg

5Cgt9FW.jpg

Not my thing at all Dylan, but I'll check out the ram's horn. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

You've captured the horn on those two Lambsfoot knives beautifully :) :thumbsup:

Sheep (Rams) Horn has the benefit of being far more stable than Ox Horn or Buffalo Horn. I have never seen a sheep horn handle shrink, warp, twist or any of the issues that plague Ox/Buffalo Horn.

Thanks for the info Mark :thumbsup:

I guess this will be my application for the position of :

Probationary Interim Muckraker of the Guardians

I noticed this thread quite a while ago (when I was still firmly entrenched in "lurk mode") and didn't pay it much heed, then a few months ago I decided to start reading through it from the beginning learning about the lambsfoot and it's history. It's not every day you come across a knife you were completely unaware of with all the info at once.

I knew I was interested in trying one of these out but told myself that I would read through the entirety of the thread before I did so.

Well, that task was accomplished on Dec. 5th, so on December 6th I placed an order :D

... and here they are!

Xad0Y5x.jpg

The small one has a pruner handle and has rather well matched white splotches on both sides.
jrsMr9T.jpg

kCex0KR.jpg

They both have strong snap after having the pivots cleaned up, and look quite good overall. Although, both blades were a bit overzealous at the grinder around the sharpening notch.

The small is just about perfect, however I'm going to have to play with the large a bit to iron some things out... but I'll save that for another time.

Great to have you here, and thanks for your work on the index :) Those two look pretty awesome, congratulations :) :thumbsup:

Think I win Doh! Knut of the week...https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...tales-vignettes.754492/page-895#post-17692469 :rolleyes:

IMG_5695.JPG

Back