Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

View attachment 815424

Well, I finally learned how to get an avatar and post photos, and here is my first rosewood lambsfoot direct from Sheffield! Is this in time for the giveaway Jack? It was easier to get the knife than learn the computer skills. I asked them for a bright and interesting handle, and they delivered. The dimensions are slightly different than advertised. It was supposed to be 3.5 inches closed with a 2.5 inch blade. In reality it is 3.25 closed with a 2.75 inch blade. I much prefer the actual proportions, because I find that some of the Sheffield knives I see online look a little stubby in that the blade looks too short for the handle. I selected a pruner handle for a more sleek look, again to avoid the stubbiness. I also like the sweep of the pruner handle.

There is quite a bit of gaping between the scales and spring, but that does not concern me too much. I never even noticed that before I began to read detailed knife reviews, but this knife has bigger gaps than any other knife I own. The spring is like a bear trap which I do like. The blade is almost perfectly centered, and the pile side is just as nice. The knife is sharp but does not slice well. Jack informed me earlier that the blade probably needs thinning. That is a bit of a bummer, because my sharpening skills are weak. Any advice there would be appreciated. I have a basic Lansky kit and a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Finally, I must say that the sale was handled well. Although I ordered from Wright's website, the order was filled by the Famous Sheffield Shop. I suppose they have a working relationship. They certainly made every effort to follow my wishes.

Thank you sir! “I get by with a little help from my friends!”:)

;) :thumbsup:

View attachment 815424

Well, I finally learned how to get an avatar and post photos, and here is my first rosewood lambsfoot direct from Sheffield! Is this in time for the giveaway Jack? It was easier to get the knife than learn the computer skills. I asked them for a bright and interesting handle, and they delivered. The dimensions are slightly different than advertised. It was supposed to be 3.5 inches closed with a 2.5 inch blade. In reality it is 3.25 closed with a 2.75 inch blade. I much prefer the actual proportions, because I find that some of the Sheffield knives I see online look a little stubby in that the blade looks too short for the handle. I selected a pruner handle for a more sleek look, again to avoid the stubbiness. I also like the sweep of the pruner handle.

There is quite a bit of gaping between the scales and spring, but that does not concern me too much. I never even noticed that before I began to read detailed knife reviews, but this knife has bigger gaps than any other knife I own. The spring is like a bear trap which I do like. The blade is almost perfectly centered, and the pile side is just as nice. The knife is sharp but does not slice well. Jack informed me earlier that the blade probably needs thinning. That is a bit of a bummer, because my sharpening skills are weak. Any advice there would be appreciated. I have a basic Lansky kit and a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Finally, I must say that the sale was handled well. Although I ordered from Wright's website, the order was filled by the Famous Sheffield Shop. I suppose they have a working relationship. They certainly made every effort to follow my wishes.

Hey Leslie, that's a very nice-looking Lambsfoot you have there :) I'll put your name in the hat when I draw the giveaway. Don't forget to post a festive pic :thumbsup:

I know what you mean in terms of the blade looking too short with some of the Wright patterns, the 'Senator' pattern I think. With most of the patterns though, I think the blade can almost look too long, when you fold it, you're slightly surprised that all of the blade disappears! :D

Sorry to hear about the gaps, I think you see more light on the economy model. Wright's edges are getting better, but I generally find they need sharpening. It also sounds like the edge might need thinning out in order to be more slicey ;) I don't have any experience with the Lansky set-up, but if you have the diamond stones for the Sharpmaker, you should have no problem. It'll take a bit longer with the medium stones. When the index is finished, you should be able to easily find some great sharpening advice from other Guardians, but the good news is that the Lambsfoot is among the easiest of knives to sharpen. Just take your time, and you should have no problem getting a great edge on your Lambsfoot Leslie :thumbsup:

TFSS maintain the A.Wright website, Wright's don't even own a computer! :D :thumbsup: glad they treated you well Leslie :thumbsup:

View attachment 815505

i know it is just a matter of personal preference, but I like as long a blade as possible on these knives. How about a little sheep with the lamb? This is the Michael May Barlow Sheepsfoot I mentioned a few days ago. As much as I love it, I wish the blade was a fraction longer. Earlier, I said it was oak, but I made a mistake. It is locally sourced Yorkshire maple. I do not know what Trevor Ablett was thinking when he designed this pattern, but it is absolutely a pleasure to hold and carry. Just the right size and weight. It is not hard to imagine that this could be how the early barlows looked.

Sorry about that Jack. It certainly did not take me long to mess up. So, I posted the same photo on the “What Makes a Good Traditional Barlow” thread with more information if anyone is interested. Michael May does make the full range of Lambsfoot varieties as well. One of those is on my wish list and I’ll post photos when possible.

Sorry about that Jack. It certainly did not take me long to mess up. So, I posted the same photo on the “What Makes a Good Traditional Barlow” thread with more information if anyone is interested. Michael May does make the full range of Lambsfoot varieties as well. One of those is on my wish list and I’ll post photos when possible.

It's OK Leslie, I think we can all empathise with your enthusiasm, but having seen one Lambsfoot thread end up full of Sheepsfoot pics and Sheepsfoot discussion, I'm anxious that the same doesn't happen to this one. Look forward to hearing about your Michael May Lambsfoot in due course my friend :thumbsup:

Has anyone heard from Chin lately? Is he on a walk-about and I just didn't realize it?

I was also wondering about Chin Cambertree Cambertree , it's summer in Australia, so I figured he was out in the bush, but I checked his profile a few days ago, and he has been online, just not here in The Porch. I might check again now. Hoping he's well, and that we'll see him soon :thumbsup:

Hey friends… Oops, it's been a while: sorry for my unplanned absence from the Porch recently. Looks like there's some good stuff to catch up on, in this and my other favourite threads.

I've just been flat out with work and the usual round of social catchups and events for this time of year.

Also - GT and Jack, you know me well - I have had a bit of walkabout time lately, too. I attended a fantastic international symposium up in the Goldfields country on rare and interesting plants, among other subjects, and took a bit of extra time afterwards to get out in the bush, and explore some of the old diggings around there.

I found a great, secluded area of old miners huts, and a mine dug about a hundred metres or more into a hillside, possibly by Chinese miners. (Chinese dug round shafts, and Europeans dug square ones.) There was a spooky, desolate feel to this area of wilderness, and I suspect it may have served more recently as a hiding place for fringe characters: an old single room stone and corrugated iron hut which had a hidden underground stonewalled room nearby; abandoned sunbleached washing still flapping from a clothesline near another cluster of tumbledown buildings, as if someone had left in a hurry; a scatter of more recent construction materials and the unfinished frame of a hut in a clearing, with some film equipment lying around among the domestic refuse and overgrown flowerbeds…

The timber supports in the mineshaft I crawled through, still had glassy smooth tool marks hewed into them, evidence that those old miners kept their tools beautifully sharp…

I dropped my phone in the kitchen sink, the morning I left for my road trip, so no pics unfortunately, and another reason for my recent absence. Despite being dried out in a rice bag, it may not be salvageable. If I need to get a new one, I'll do it after Xmas…

Leslie, your mention of Michael May's work, reminded me of a recent pleasing incident: I, along with a few friends had volunteered to help move the contents of an office in the cavernous Victorian Trades Hall building to another room, a couple of floors away. 'The Hall' as it's known by Melburnians is apparently the oldest trade union building and workers' parliament in the world. As I had decided to take the train into the city, and considered that my friends and I might catch up over a beer afterwards, I had left my ebony Lambsfoot at home. (My state, Victoria, has a reverse onus of proof type system regarding knives, where you have to have a legitimate reason for carrying it - however it's basically verboten to have one in an establishment that serves alcohol, and in certain 'high crime' areas, unless you have it for work.)

While we were trying to manoeuvre a fine old hardwood desk out of the office doorway, I decided to tape up the drawers so they wouldn't slide out, and then was left in the position of balancing a corner of the desk on one knee, and reaching into my pocket for my absent knife to cut the tape. One of my friends read my bemused look straight away, and reached into their own pocket and passed me their knife: a solidly built British Army, stainless steel clasp knife with a sheepsfoot blade. I had the passing thought, 'Jack would have approved of that', and got on with the job at hand.

After we had finished and were having some coffee and cold water at a cafe nearby, I asked my mate if I could have a closer look at his clasp knife. My other friend, who I have never discussed knives with, also passed me his knife: a fine Michael May Lambsfoot. I laughed and said that was quite an unusual carry. Turns out it had been a gift from his girlfriend, a carpenter, by trade!

Re7LHcw.jpg

Mick 'Crocodile' Dundee: I was sorta married once - nice girl...Then I went walkabout, and when I came back, she'd gone.

Sue Charlton (Reporter): How long were you gone?

Mick Dundee: Couple of months.

Walter Reilly: Try eighteen.

:eek: ;)

LOL, one of my friends who works in an indigenous island community, off the far north coast of Australia, related to me their schooling lesson regarding 'EveryWhen', or Australian Bush Time.

He had been taking his leave of one of his friends in the community, Tim, an internationally renowned artist, before an extended overseas trip.

Tim: So you'll be back soon eh? I'll see ya next week?

My mate: I'll be gone for a while mate, definitely a few months.

Tim: OK, see ya next week then.

My mate: Not next week, Tim, I'll be away for at least two months.

Tim: Oh, a few months eh? OK, see ya next week.

My mate: Uhh, yeah sure, I'll catch up with you 'next week.';):D

Here's an old pic of my trusty ebony Lambsfoot (which I don't think I've posted before) which lives in my pocket, pretty much permanently, when it's not in my hand.:)

I hope everyone's enjoying the festive season...;):)

e1Va4pt.jpg

Last edited:
Hey friends… Oops, it's been a while: sorry for my unplanned absence from the Porch recently. Looks like there's some good stuff to catch up on, in this and my other favourite threads.

I've just been flat out with work and the usual round of social catchups and events for this time of year.

Also - GT and Jack, you know me well - I have had a bit of walkabout time lately, too. I attended a fantastic international symposium up in the Goldfields country on rare and interesting plants, among other subjects, and took a bit of extra time afterwards to get out in the bush, and explore some of the old diggings around there.

I found a great, secluded area of old miners huts, and a mine dug about a hundred metres or more into a hillside, possibly by Chinese miners. (Chinese dug round shafts, and Europeans dug square ones.) There was a spooky, desolate feel to this area of wilderness, and I suspect it may have served more recently as a hiding place for fringe characters: an old single room stone and corrugated iron hut which had a hidden underground stonewalled room nearby; abandoned sunbleached washing still flapping from a clothesline near another cluster of tumbledown buildings, as if someone had left in a hurry; a scatter of more recent construction materials and the frame of a hut in a clearing, with some film equipment lying around among the domestic refuse and overgrown flowerbeds…

The timber supports in the mineshaft I crawled through still had glassy smooth tool marks hewed into them, evidence that those old miners kept their tools beautifully sharp…

I dropped my phone in the kitchen sink, the morning I left for my road trip, so no pics unfortunately, and another reason for my recent absence. Despite being dried out in a rice bag, it may not be salvageable. If I need to get a new one, I'll do it after Xmas…

Leslie, your mention of Michael May's work, reminded me of a recent pleasing incident. I, along with a few friends had volunteered to help move the contents of an office in the cavernous Victorian Trades Hall building to another room, a couple of floors away. 'The Hall' as it's known by Melburnians is apparently the oldest trade union building and workers' parliament in the world. As I had decided to take the train into the city, and considered that my friends and I might catch up over a beer afterwards, I had left my ebony Lambsfoot at home. (My state, Victoria, has a reverse onus of proof type system regarding knives, where you have to have a legitimate reason for carrying it - however it's basically verboten to have one in an establishment that serves alcohol, and in certain 'high crime' areas, unless you have it for work.)

While we were trying to manoeuvre a fine old hardwood desk out of the office, I decided to tape up the drawers so they wouldn't slide out, and then was left in the position of balancing a corner of the desk on one knee, and reaching into my pocket for my absent knife to cut the tape. One of my friends read my bemused look straight away, and reached into their own pocket and passed me their knife: a solidly built British Army, stainless steel clasp knife with a sheepsfoot blade. I had the passing thought, 'Jack would have approved of that', and got on with the job at hand.

After we had finished and were having some coffee and cold water at a cafe nearby, I asked my mate to have a closer look at his clasp knife. My other friend, who I have never discussed knives with, also passed me his knife: a fine Michael May Lambsfoot. I laughed and said that was quite an unusual carry. Turns out it had been a gift from his girlfriend, a carpenter, by trade!

Re7LHcw.jpg

LOL, one of my friends who works in an indigenous community of the far north coast of Australia related to me their schooling on 'EveryWhen', or Australian Bush Time.

He had been taking his leave of Tim, an internationally renowned artist, and one of his friends in the community before an extended overseas trip.

Here's an old pic of my trusty ebony Lambsfoot which I don't think I've used before, and which lives in my pocket, pretty much permanently.:)

I hope everyone's enjoying the festive season...

e1Va4pt.jpg
Good to see you around again my friend .

Harry

I found a great, secluded area of old miners huts, and a mine dug about a hundred metres or more into a hillside, possibly by Chinese miners. (Chinese dug round shafts, and Europeans dug square ones.) There was a spooky, desolate feel to this area of wilderness, and I suspect it may have served more recently as a hiding place for fringe characters: an old single room stone and corrugated iron hut which had a hidden underground stonewalled room nearby; abandoned sunbleached washing still flapping from a clothesline near another cluster of tumbledown buildings, as if someone had left in a hurry; a scatter of more recent construction materials and the unfinished frame of a hut in a clearing, with some film equipment lying around among the domestic refuse and overgrown flowerbeds…

The timber supports in the mineshaft I crawled through, still had glassy smooth tool marks hewed into them, evidence that those old miners kept their tools beautifully sharp…

Leslie, your mention of Michael May's work, reminded me of a recent pleasing incident: I, along with a few friends had volunteered to help move the contents of an office in the cavernous Victorian Trades Hall building to another room, a couple of floors away. 'The Hall' as it's known by Melburnians is apparently the oldest trade union building and workers' parliament in the world. As I had decided to take the train into the city, and considered that my friends and I might catch up over a beer afterwards, I had left my ebony Lambsfoot at home. (My state, Victoria, has a reverse onus of proof type system regarding knives, where you have to have a legitimate reason for carrying it - however it's basically verboten to have one in an establishment that serves alcohol, and in certain 'high crime' areas, unless you have it for work.)

While we were trying to manoeuvre a fine old hardwood desk out of the office, I decided to tape up the drawers so they wouldn't slide out, and then was left in the position of balancing a corner of the desk on one knee, and reaching into my pocket for my absent knife to cut the tape. One of my friends read my bemused look straight away, and reached into their own pocket and passed me their knife: a solidly built British Army, stainless steel clasp knife with a sheepsfoot blade. I had the passing thought, 'Jack would have approved of that', and got on with the job at hand.

After we had finished and were having some coffee and cold water at a cafe nearby, I asked my mate if I could have a closer look at his clasp knife. My other friend, who I have never discussed knives with, also passed me his knife: a fine Michael May Lambsfoot. I laughed and said that was quite an unusual carry. Turns out it had been a gift from his girlfriend, a carpenter, by trade!

Re7LHcw.jpg

LOL, one of my friends who works in an indigenous island community, off the far north coast of Australia, related to me their schooling lesson regarding 'EveryWhen', or Australian Bush Time.

He had been taking his leave of Tim, an internationally renowned artist, and one of his friends in the community, before an extended overseas trip.

Here's an old pic of my trusty ebony Lambsfoot (which I don't think I've posted before) which lives in my pocket, pretty much permanently, when it's not in my hand.:)

I hope everyone's enjoying the festive season...;):)

e1Va4pt.jpg

Good to see you here mate, and with a great post as usual :)

The difference between the shafts dug by European and Chinese miners is a fascinating tidbit of information. Sounds like a very interesting place to visit, you should get yourself a metal-detector, and see if you can find any lost pocket-knives! :D :thumbsup

Sorry to hear about your phone :(

That is a great story about your mates knives, and what a coincidence :)

LOL! When I was 'overseas', I quickly learned, (like Orwell in Spain), that while the Arabic word Bukara means tomorrow, the phrase Bad Bukara doesn't mean 'The day after tomorrow', it simply means 'After tomorrow'! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Good to see your ebony Lambsfoot :) Come back to us soon Chin :thumbsup:

A.Wright Straight Sambar Lambsfoot 5-6.JPG

View attachment 816399

Chin, I must say that your friend has an amazing girlfriend. Not many women would even know who Michael May is much less be capable of picking out such a fine example of one of his Lambsfoot knives. And she is a carpenter to boot! If she is also beautiful, then he is one lucky man.

The brass bolster on that knife really compliments the wood. As you can see from my photo, Michael has his own tang stamp now rather than the etching. He uses Wright’s carbon blades but changes the shape a bit. My preference is the original shape, but, overall, his build quality is a step above Wright’s in my opinion. The fit and finish is a bit better, and he uses many different woods as handle materials. However, they do cost more.

I cannot believe the knife carry laws in Australia. The home of millions of lambs, but it is illegal to carry a knife named in their honor in certain situations. How ironic!

View attachment 816399

Chin, I must say that your friend has an amazing girlfriend. Not many women would even know who Michael May is much less be capable of picking out such a fine example of one of his Lambsfoot knives. And she is a carpenter to boot! If she is also beautiful, then he is one lucky man.

The brass bolster on that knife really compliments the wood. As you can see from my photo, Michael has his own tang stamp now rather than the etching. He uses Wright’s carbon blades but changes the shape a bit. My preference is the original shape, but, overall, his build quality is a step above Wright’s in my opinion. The fit and finish is a bit better, and he uses many different woods as handle materials. However, they do cost more.

I cannot believe the knife carry laws in Australia. The home of millions of lambs, but it is illegal to carry a knife named in their honor in certain situations. How ironic!

I like what you did with that pic Leslie, thanks ;) :thumbsup: That's interesting about the May tang-stamp. I wonder if the stamp is put in by Wright's or if it is cold-struck? I can guess where he had the stamp made, I think, as there is a stamp-maker working in the same building, he's been at it for years, and made my 'Jack Black Knives' stamp, and the Wright's stamps :thumbsup:

Jack Black Knives 1.jpg

makers_shawengraving_1.jpg

Carrying my Guardians Lambsfoot today :)

AWSFO 4-8.JPG

View attachment 816608

Jack, May’s tang stamp was made by a friend of his at the Portland Works, M. Shaw. I imagine it is cold struck, because he does it in his shop before he sends the blade off for heat treatment. He probably has just asked his blade suppliers to leave the tang blank. Do you make knives yourself?

Is my photo festive enough for the giveaway? I have to find more of these Lambsfoot knives or become more creative with my photographs.

Bonzodog, that is a great looking Barlow. Where did you find it!

Fresh in today,thought I would treat myself to an early Christmas present.

Very nice indeed sir :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 816608

Jack, May’s tang stamp was made by a friend of his at the Portland Works, M. Shaw. I imagine it is cold struck, because he does it in his shop before he sends the blade off for heat treatment. He probably has just asked his blade suppliers to leave the tang blank. Do you make knives yourself?

Is my photo festive enough for the giveaway? I have to find more of these Lambsfoot knives or become more creative with my photographs.

Bonzodog, that is a great looking Barlow. Where did you find it!

Yes, I know Mick Shaw Leslie, or I used to, I haven't seen him for 20 years, that's him in the photo I posted above :) I don't think Michael May has a press, but there is another maker at Portland Works who has a press. Wright's usually take care of the HT :thumbsup:

Jack Black Knives was a long time ago...

Jack Black Knives guarantee card 1.jpg

Great festive pic my friend, we can all use an extra Lambsfoot though! ;) :D :thumbsup:

It is great the way they all collaborate and help each other in Sheffield. Hopefully, that the golden age of folding knives we are experiencing in the US will spread to the UK and Sheffield. It seems like they are capable of much more creativity if the market would develop. That’s why Michael’s artistic license does not bother me that much. It is either develop or die in this world. Would love to see a photo of a Jack Black knife!

Good to see you around again my friend .

Harry

Thanks very much, Harry, my friend - and it's a pleasure to see your fine TEWs contrasted with each other. That natural undyed leather slip of Dylans looks great too, makes me wish I'd had the foresight to get one for my ebony Lambsfoot knife.:)

Chin, glad to hear your doing well. I hope things slow down for you soon.

Fantastic story about your friend's Michael May lambsfoot. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Thanks Greg, I just caught up on the last ten pages or so, last night and I'm well impressed by your indexing project, and the program you wrote to assist the endeavour. I certainly would like to assist, and will have some time off between Xmas and the New Year to do so. I also think I still have some photo restoration to complete, which I can work on then, as well.

Good to see you here mate, and with a great post as usual :)

The difference between the shafts dug by European and Chinese miners is a fascinating tidbit of information. Sounds like a very interesting place to visit, you should get yourself a metal-detector, and see if you can find any lost pocket-knives! :D :thumbsup

Sorry to hear about your phone :(

That is a great story about your mates knives, and what a coincidence :)

LOL! When I was 'overseas', I quickly learned, (like Orwell in Spain), that while the Arabic word Bukara means tomorrow, the phrase Bad Bukara doesn't mean 'The day after tomorrow', it simply means 'After tomorrow'! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Good to see your ebony Lambsfoot :) Come back to us soon Chin :thumbsup:

View attachment 816255

Thanks Jack, yes I've found a Gold Rush era natural sharpening stone before, and a clock mechanism, but a pocketknife would be a fascinating find. I'm leaning more and more to the view that a metal detector would be a useful instrument in understanding the past.

I imagine there would be the remnants of quite a few knives around some of the old camps and diggings.

I remember reading an interesting (open source) primer for US operatives working with people from other cultures, which tried to summarise many of the different perceptions of time, and acceptable timekeeping in business and social settings around the world. I've heard Western timekeeping and expectations of punctuality referred to as 'Bossman's Time' here, before.

View attachment 816399

Thanks Leslie, yes my friend is indeed a lucky man, and his partner is all those things you mentioned. I'm looking forward to catching up with them in the new year, and I'll be sure to ask about the May connection when I do.

Yes, from the single Michael May Lambsfoot example I examined, I agree with all your observations.

I think the Porch rules limit political discussion, but suffice to say, I detest the way reverse onus of proof has been sneakily incorporated into different laws here over the last couple of decades, effectively overturning one of the fundamental principles of our legal system of 'innocent until proven guilty'. Many citizens believe carrying of knives to be illegal, which is not at all what the Act says - you just have to have a legal reason to be carrying one, which includes work and recreational pursuits. Anyway I'm veering (even more) off topic again here, so I'll bow out with another unused pic from the archives:):
XJf7AMh.jpg

Thanks Jack, yes I've found a Gold Rush era natural sharpening stone before, and a clock mechanism, but a pocketknife would be a fascinating find. I'm leaning more and more to the view that a metal detector would be a useful instrument in understanding the past.

I imagine there would be the remnants of quite a few knives around some of the old camps and diggings.

I remember reading an interesting (open source) primer for US operatives working with people from other cultures, which tried to summarise many of the different perceptions of time, and acceptable timekeeping in business and social settings around the world. I've heard Western timekeeping and expectations of punctuality referred to as 'Bossman's Time' here, before.

Thanks Leslie, yes my friend is indeed a lucky man, and his partner is all those things you mentioned. I'm looking forward to catching up with them in the new year, and I'll be sure to ask about the May connection when I do.

Yes, from the single Michael May Lambsfoot example I examined, I agree with all your observations.

I think the Porch rules limit political discussion, but suffice to say, I detest the way reverse onus of proof has been sneakily incorporated into different laws here over the last couple of decades, effectively overturning one of the fundamental principles of our legal system of 'innocent until proven guilty'. Many citizens believe carrying of knives to be illegal, which is not at all what the Act says - you just have to have a legal reason to be carrying one, which includes work and recreational pursuits. Anyway I'm veering (even more) off topic again here, so I'll bow out with another unused pic from the archives:):
XJf7AMh.jpg

Very nice, my friend :) Yes, I can see how time would be referred to like that. Even here in Britain, time was only standardised when the railroads came, and the main purpose of the 1870 Compulsory Education Act was disciplining workers in terms of time (and their 'place'). Since the Little Mesters of Sheffield were, to a large extent, self-employed, 'time-discipline' never really worked, and 'Saint's Day' practices continued into living memory, with work being task-focused rather than time-focused, much as it was with farmers and agricultural workers :thumbsup:

It is much the same here with regard to carry. While reverse onus is not yet enshrined in law, it is certainly enshrined in practice :(

Always a treat to see your well-used ebony Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

Back