Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Help... Skoll is developing a problem...

Looking for input from the Lambsfoot gurus here. Skoll's issue is getting worse and I'd like to try and fix it if I can. The blade has always opened a little crooked, but It's starting to loosen up the bolster pin I think. But I don't see any indention in the bolsters where the pin might be sucked in, so I don't know. You can see in this first picture that the spring sits centered with very little gap when the blade is closed.

But with the blade opened you can see the tang is prying against the pile side bolster. It opens a gap on that side and forces the spring against the other side. When closing the blade, you can feel a definite 'click' as the bolster closes back against the spring. Do you think hammering the pin tighter will help? Anything else you can think of?

It's a special knife and I don't want to mess it up. :cool::thumbsup:

I wish I could help you Charlie. The olives came in a gift/wine basket my wife received from her cousin.

I'm glad you got a kick out of it. The package immediately caught my eye. I still don't know about the olives, but IMO the true Bella Campagna in that picture is the knife. ;)
Oh Yeah, Nice knife!!:) Glad you like that LambFoot!!:cool:
(You can tell I like olives!!:D)

Looking for input from the Lambsfoot gurus here. Skoll's issue is getting worse and I'd like to try and fix it if I can. The blade has always opened a little crooked, but It's starting to loosen up the bolster pin I think. But I don't see any indention in the bolsters where the pin might be sucked in, so I don't know. You can see in this first picture that the spring sits centered with very little gap when the blade is closed.

But with the blade opened you can see the tang is prying against the pile side bolster. It opens a gap on that side and forces the spring against the other side. When closing the blade, you can feel a definite 'click' as the bolster closes back against the spring. Do you think hammering the pin tighter will help? Anything else you can think of?

Maybe pad the bolster and try to squeeze it together with a vise? Or perhaps a brass or plastic mallet padded on an anvil of some sort... Sorry to see you're having problems, hopefully you get it worked out

Maybe pad the bolster and try to squeeze it together with a vise? Or perhaps a brass or plastic mallet padded on an anvil of some sort... Sorry to see you're having problems, hopefully you get it worked out
That's what I was thinking of trying, just want to get some opinions before I try it. Thanks, Willie. :cool::thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking of trying, just want to get some opinions before I try it. Thanks, Willie. :cool::thumbsup:

Take a look at the pins. One of them might need to be peened a bit. Since it is a "special knife", it might be worth a tune-up with a custom slip-joint maker.

John, you might be forming/leaving a slight wedge on the bearing surface of the tang!! If the tang does not fully contact the spring, and wears down, it leaves an "ear" of steel that forms and wedges the liners/handles open!!
Squeezing it, or hammering it will only cause more trouble! If you can see that much gap, that is often the problem!!
Make sure of what it is. If you are wearing a wedge into the tang on the bearing surface, the only way to fix it is to disassemble it and sand it off carefully. I have had to fix two that way over the years!
You can usually see it at or near half stop, or at closed blade with a light and magnifier!

Jack Black Jack Black - Their stories are incredible.

Roza Shanina

Say Yes to Olives.:thumbsup:

@5K Qs - Thank you GT. Your 2018 Black Jack has been one of my favorites of the SFOs.

@Prester John - Great image of your beautiful Ironwood SFO, Vince.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
View attachment 1274003

Fascinating history Harvey :thumbsup: Great to see your Hunter Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

That's very worrying John :( While Wright's would fix it under warranty, Skoll is a special knife, and you might be waiting a long time, and not get him back looking the same. Excellent advice given, particularly from Charlie, but I'd make sure you are confident about re-assembling Skoll before you take him apart. Otherwise you might be better consulting one of our resident cutlers :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone's week is going OK :thumbsup:

wt5OqHl.jpg

John, you might be forming/leaving a slight wedge on the bearing surface of the tang!! If the tang does not fully contact the spring, and wears down, it leaves an "ear" of steel that forms and wedges the liners/handles open!!
Squeezing it, or hammering it will only cause more trouble! If you can see that much gap, that is often the problem!!
Make sure of what it is. If you are wearing a wedge into the tang on the bearing surface, the only way to fix it is to disassemble it and sand it off carefully. I have had to fix two that way over the years!
You can usually see it at or near half stop, or at closed blade with a light and magnifier!

That's very worrying John :( While Wright's would fix it under warranty, Skoll is a special knife, and you might be waiting a long time, and not get him back looking the same. Excellent advice given, particularly from Charlie, but I'd make sure you are confident about re-assembling Skoll before you take him apart. Otherwise you might be better consulting one of our resident cutlers :thumbsup:

Thank you Charlie and Jack. I think maybe sending it to somebody would be the best coarse of action. I'm afraid I'd mess it up if I tried anything myself. Charlie's idea of an "ear" of steel may well be it, given the way it's acting. I can't see an "ear", but that doesn't mean it's not there.Thanks for you input, gentlemen. :cool::thumbsup:

This sounds more likely, and here we see the difference between a rank amateur and someone who knows what he's talking about. I would probably spend the money with someone from the community rather than risk shipping it across the pond and waiting for who knows how long.1580305869070743743540.jpg
Morning coffee with the lambsfoot.

Thank you Charlie and Jack. I think maybe sending it to somebody would be the best coarse of action. I'm afraid I'd mess it up if I tried anything myself. Charlie's idea of an "ear" of steel may well be it, given the way it's acting. I can't see an "ear", but that doesn't mean it's not there.Thanks for you input, gentlemen. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm sure Dr @glennbad would give you an opinion John. A knife lover will understand how important Skoll is to you - Wright's wouldn't, frankly :( I do hope he can be restored to his prime, and please keep us all posted :thumbsup:

I'm sure Dr @glennbad would give you an opinion John. A knife lover will understand how important Skoll is to you - Wright's wouldn't, frankly :( I do hope he can be restored to his prime, and please keep us all posted :thumbsup:
I know Glenn is super busy.
He's had one of my knives for a year and a half. :eek:
I'll be sure to keep you all posted as Skoll gets fixed. :cool::thumbsup:

John, you might also consider @jsdistin or @Signalprick if Glenn isn't available to help you out.
I will be sure to contact them when I'm ready. Thanks for the recommendations. :cool::thumbsup:

donn donn - Thank you David. What beautiful old tool that your grandfather gifted you with. I’m ceratainly no expert, but in my attempt to research, it seems that it is a Pexto #8 machinist wing divider compass. A gorgeous antique.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_(drawing_tool)#Variants

https://archive.org/details/PeckStowAndWilcoxCatalogueNo20/mode/2up

Thanks very much for the links Harvey. That Pexto catalogue is fascinating and I reckon we maybe have half of it in our garage.:) Wing dividers on page 120. $10.50 for a dozen! I wonder if they ever imported to England, 'cos if not then the ones I have must definitely of come of RAF Burtonwood.

Maybe they played an important role working out flight plans during the war David :thumbsup:

Aye I reckon so, or even used maintaining aircraft. :thumbsup: That Pexto catalogue says their used by mechanics.

The only action you would get from that is "Bolt, Single, Double, Pump, or Lever." :D

Well as I watched 'The Man from Laramie' with James Stewart yesterday it would have to be lever :):thumbsup:

Crikey I hope you get that mended. :thumbsup:

BjKMOys.jpg

Back