Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Two of the Tait brothers made it home from the war alive, two did not. What appears to be four graves is actually just two; these are the graves of the two brothers, John and Peter, who were killed in the war. They each have two stones - one military and one supplied by the family? One of the men died in a military hospital, the record for the other says he was "pierced by a cannonball ". IMG_1954.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Bill! It does have some very nice file work! It just shows what Wright’s was capable of when they had Jack to keep them in line! :eek: :D
47536239232_fa9f8b699b_o_d.jpg

Thanks Jack! It is definitely a beautiful knife! :thumbsup: :)

Dang Jack! Your weather is sounding a lot like mine! That looks like a tasty snack! :D

Thanks for the compliment Dennis! That’s a great photo buddy! :thumbsup: :)

Thanks for the kind words Ron :)

View attachment 1282601 Have a few minutes to spare this evening so I thought I would tickle up the edges of a few knives. Thought a nice group shot of the lambs would be nice. Must get over to Sheffield one of these days to see if I can pick up a bone or horn handled one.

Wow, what a great line-up :cool: If you make it to Sheffield, you're probably best heading to the Antiques Quarter o_O :thumbsup:

Food of the God's! But I put all sorts in mine.:)

Oh you should, it's quite sweet. I like my soups coarse with just salt and pepper added. :thumbsup:

You to eh? I don't have arthritis as such but boy do my knees suffer in prolonged wet weather. My right knee especially has been talking to me now for about the last 5 months.:mad::mad:
BTW Have you tried cider apple vinegar? I was thinking of giving it a go.

A recycled photo but it about sums up what Jack said about multiple seasons in one day. :rolleyes:
jFimb8m.jpg

I add black pepper, usually Tabasco, sometimes cheese, and Hendersons, of course ;) That photo is well worth recycling David :) I was going to take a photo of my knife with some snow-drops on Saturday, but I'd have had to bend down :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Hello Guardians from the Extraordinary Linus the Lambfoot and I on this dark and cold day. As a state of Illinois employee, I have today off for Abe Lincoln's birthday. We want to tell you a little story about where I live or perhaps paint something of a picture of days gone by. Here's Linus with Abe this morning.View attachment 1282644

View attachment 1282659 This may be easier for me to do in multiple posts:
In 1860 a Scottish couple named Peter and Mary Gordon built our house. Mary's family were McDowels and supposedly the Gordon's and McDowels were enemies in Scotland, but what did they do but buy adjoining properties here in Illinois!

What outstanding posts Ben (I'm guessing there's going to be more), a fascinating story, and wonderful photos. The old iron fence is incredible, what has caused it to bend the way it has, is it just the wind and weather? :thumbsup:

View attachment 1282712 Linus is happy to be inside, safe and warm! Where did that white stuff come from? (Notice the wavy old glass pane from the 1800's!)
Enjoying your updates on Linus adventures Ben :thumbsup::)

I think saving your acrobatics until you have an audience is a good way to build your legend!

Right or left ???
The fork on the ice path, where as the legend goes ...., a short and stout middle age man from south america had the "the great wipe out" while ice skating and carrying a lambsfoot knife in his pocket :D

c1ZUXvv.jpg

8aocQA6.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't contributed much lately due to some health issues but I'm feeling better and decided to update everyone on the MM Lambfoot Barlow I purchased last year. Well, as I reported, the knife really was pretty but the quality of the fitment was not acceptable. The blade grind was awful and there was a gap in the back spring/liner area of around 10 thousandths of an inch (doesn't sound like much but believe me when I say it looked bad). Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that there was a brass burr on the liner (Backspring area) that cut my finger). The blade was not well centered either but I managed to improve it myself but it's still not centered. I complained to MM and he indicated that he would refund me or repair the knife. He indicated that he had hired an apprentice and that was the explanation of the poor quality. He accepted full responsibility for the bad work. I agreed to send it back. Michael never picked the knife up at the post office in Sheffield and eventually it was returned to me. Michael agreed to refund my money and it appears that I get to keep the knife too. Ultimately MM did the right (Wright? :rolleyes:) thing. However, my experience was not exactly pleasurable. Here are some photos. The Rams horn scales are nice. You'll get the idea.
View attachment 1282402 View attachment 1282414 View attachment 1282415 View attachment 1282416

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg
I'm glad you're feeling better. That is a shame about the knife. I suppose it's a usable "beater" knife? Sharpen it up and use it for when you don't want to get one of your nice knives dirty or damaged. Use it hard and it will either fall apart or gain sentimental value. ;)

Sorry to hear about the health issues Bill. Thanks for the update on that knife, sounds like a thoroughly unsatisfactory experience - but then I guess it is all the "apprentice"s fault! o_O
A long time ago, I worked in a shop with a pretty unscrupulous boss. He would often blame problems on a phantom "new guy who messed everything up. We fired him last week and are still having to fix his screw-ups" When that didn't work, he'd call Brian out from the back room and yell at him for a while and fire him on the spot. "Get your things and get out!" After the customer left, Brian would come back from his smoke break, get back to work and the boss would slip him a twenty for his trouble.

View attachment 1282712 Linus is happy to be inside, safe and warm! Where did that white stuff come from? (Notice the wavy old glass pane from the 1800's!)
What a beautiful photo. Thanks for the stories and pictures.

Jack Black Jack Black - Much thanks, Jack. Morning coffee, blueberry croissant, and Hartshead...MMMM! Hartsheads go great with French Fries, too.:) Be safe.

@Onebigbill - Sorry MM didn’t come through. Good that he had the good sense to recognize the the train wreck that ensued, I’ve received one from him, and it worked out. Very nice Rams Horn, though. Hope you feel better and better.

@mitch4ging - Hello Dennis and thank you. Very nice image of your Bear and Lamb. Last time I checked, Jack hasn’t set any minunum post regs.:D Your posts are always welcome and looked forward to. Here’s to you having a good day, my friend.

Wild Ben Wild Ben - Excellent posts of your day off journey with Linus. Abe Lincoln is one of my personal heroes.

Good Evening Guardians.

And so it begins...
E85B66AD-D189-41A3-B736-D5A9F322FF99.jpeg

Brookes&Crookes Lamb, plus a tin of Danish butter cookies.
1A4F3E92-5976-4F7F-AD05-1CAC2D4FF76C.jpeg

Wild Ben Wild Ben - Excellent posts of your day off journey with Linus. Abe Lincoln is one of my personal heroes.
He's definitely one of the best. Wish his birthday was celebrated more.
My favorite is coming up: George Washington's Birthday. Observed this year on Monday, February 17 (called "Presidents Day" but officially commemorates Washington even though the calendar doesn't reflect it). But I also celebrate it on the 22nd, as I did as a child.

He's definitely one of the best. Wish his birthday was celebrated more.
My favorite is coming up: George Washington's Birthday. Observed this year on Monday, February 17 (called "Presidents Day" but officially commemorates Washington even though the calendar doesn't reflect it). But I also celebrate it on the 22nd, as I did as a child.
I couldn’t agree more with George Washington being a personal hero. Happy GW Day, Vince.

I really enjoyed that series of posts Ben, well done :) :thumbsup:

Right or left ???
The fork on the ice path, where as the legend goes ...., a short and stout middle age man from south america had the "the great wipe out" while ice skating and carrying a lambsfoot knife in his pocket :D

c1ZUXvv.jpg

8aocQA6.jpg

No doubt, it will be talked about within the family for many years to come Dan :rolleyes: Hopefully, not too bruising my friend :) Stunning pics, as always :thumbsup:

I'm glad you're feeling better. That is a shame about the knife. I suppose it's a usable "beater" knife? Sharpen it up and use it for when you don't want to get one of your nice knives dirty or damaged. Use it hard and it will either fall apart or gain sentimental value. ;)

A long time ago, I worked in a shop with a pretty unscrupulous boss. He would often blame problems on a phantom "new guy who messed everything up. We fired him last week and are still having to fix his screw-ups" When that didn't work, he'd call Brian out from the back room and yell at him for a while and fire him on the spot. "Get your things and get out!" After the customer left, Brian would come back from his smoke break, get back to work and the boss would slip him a twenty for his trouble.

I really hope that this is a case of a phantom apprentice Rachel, (as I suspect), because what kind of cutlery apprenticeship would it be for a young underpaid lad whose 'master' lets that sort of work out of his shop? o_O He certainly wouldn't learn to make the blades or springs, as they're bought in, and what 'skills' would he learn otherwise, send out any old rubbish and see if you can get away with it? Unfortunately, a few slick photographs and a certain amount of BS are not a substitute for skill and talent, and I am quite sure that the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire (Sheffield) are unaware that their crest is being used by someone who they have no connection to :thumbsdown:

Jack Black Jack Black - Much thanks, Jack. Morning coffee, blueberry croissant, and Hartshead...MMMM! Hartsheads go great with French Fries, too.:) Be safe.

Good Evening Guardians.

And so it begins...
View attachment 1282839

Brookes&Crookes Lamb, plus a tin of Danish butter cookies.
View attachment 1282840

Thanks Harvey, great pic of your Brookes & Crookes Lambsfoot, been a while since I had any Danish butter cookies, but I had some nice cake at the market today ;) When I first left school, and was an apprentice mechanic, one of my jobs was helping to maintain Sheffield's fleet of half a dozen 'gritters'. If I remember correctly, they were Ford D600s fitted with snow-ploughs, and with a separate Petter donkey engine to do the gritting :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone a terrific Thursday:
9bnffCT.jpg

You too Vince, great to see your Ironwood '19 :) :thumbsup:

Can't go wrong with tri-tip and a stag HHB.
I had some veggies too..... Balance, ya know. :D
49513860828_06399218b3_h.jpg

Sounds like a healthy diet Kevin, and it's made for a nice colourful pic :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Lovely ebony WCLF John :thumbsup:

Fresh from the plastic bag...

iRVUwlV.jpg

erGBMJ8.jpg

Not bad again, nice and tight with blade reasonably centred, scales could be better matched but... :D

Those covers are very oddly 'matched' aren't they Tim? :confused: The edge looks a lot better than the last couple of knives I had from them though :rolleyes: Maybe some oil would darken-up the Mark-side some? :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good day, I just got back from the market :thumbsup:

oj55bHZ.jpg

Last edited:
Back