Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Fantastic photo :) :thumbsup:

That Swell Centre is interesting isn't it, I think I have a few pages from that same catalogue, and also some of the knives from it, though sadly not a Lambsfoot. The pages were given to me by John Maleham, and it looks like Wright's or Howarth's were actually contracted to make some of those knives :thumbsup:

0hkbXAV.jpg

Thanks buddy :D :) :thumbsup:

Jack, that illustration page is from a 1961 catalog, and many of the same models also appear in a Rodgers catalog from 1965. Both Rodgers and Wostenholm were still offering lamb foot models as late as 1981, just before they went out of business as a combined company. It would be interesting to know for certain if Wright was making any lamb foot knives for Rodgers or Wostenholm during those later times. Would John still have access to any old Wright paperwork concerning contract knives?

While we mostly see the classic swayback handle lamb foot models, older lamb Foot knives were actually offered in a wide array of shapes and sizes.
Lamb foot blades were also offered in a number of different multi-blade sportsman's knives.
Enclosed is a different handle shape (straight swell center) next to a "standard" model as seen in a post WWII Joseph Rodgers catalog.

View attachment 1488806

That swell center is certainly interesting. Maybe it’s just because I’m accustomed to it, but I think I prefer the Lambsfoot on the swayback pattern. :D

Jack, that illustration page is from a 1961 catalog, and many of the same models also appear in a Rodgers catalog from 1965. Both Rodgers and Wostenholm were still offering lamb foot models as late as 1981, just before they went out of business as a combined company. It would be interesting to know for certain if Wright was making any lamb foot knives for Rodgers or Wostenholm during those later times. Would John still have access to any old Wright paperwork concerning contract knives?

Jack Black Jack Black ,
I am glad I got up to speed on this thread. I looked for a lamb foot on the big auction site; however, most of the offerings were from Sheffield by A. Wright. Passed on them but I found one on the craft site which I think is from Sheffield but not from AW.

Mel

Thanks for the info pal :) It's been my experience that small Sheffield cutlery firms try to keep as few records as possible, "for tax reasons" :rolleyes: In the past, as you know, individual Little Mesters and small firms made knives for any number of the larger firms, and even in recent times, Wright's have made knives for TEW, Eggington (Rodgers, IXL), and Jack Adams, as well as supplying Trevor Ablett and Michael May with blades and springs. Wright's changed ownership, and location, a number of times, and by the time John Maleham came to sell the firm, there was little historic paperwork left, but he was kind enough to give me what he could find. Just a few scraps of information really, but I'll try to find time to have a look through it later :thumbsup:

That swell center is certainly interesting. Maybe it’s just because I’m accustomed to it, but I think I prefer the Lambsfoot on the swayback pattern. :D

There's a reason it's the most commonly-seen pattern :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black ,
I am glad I got up to speed on this thread. I looked for a lamb foot on the big auction site; however, most of the offerings were from Sheffield by A. Wright. Passed on them but I found one on the craft site which I think is from Sheffield but not from AW.

Mel

Hope you'll share it with us Mel, pull up a chair my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had a few beers with my Charlie Lamb last night ;)

OGuSuNz.jpg

PI05i71.jpg

mS32dsQ.jpg

But today, I am back to carrying my Hartshead Barlow :) Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start. Covid is spreading like crazy here again :( Take care and stay safe out there :thumbsup:

TiNSKXk.jpg

Unusually, I think I prefer the original to the stronger imperial version :thumbsup: That definitely looks like Big 'Un weather David, love that atmospheric pics :) I'm not sure what I'd have thought if I'd seen that huge frog/toad coming at me through the mist! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Actually Jack I've only ever had the original, and never tried any of it's variations.:( If our government hadn't destroyed the country I'd of been up at their brewery tap more often, but it was also becoming a regular at beer festivals around the country.

Well it's Monday. Apparently.
From a few days ago. All our ice thawed overnight.
qpQDfFu.jpg

It would be interesting to know for certain if Wright was making any lamb foot knives for Rodgers or Wostenholm during those later times. Would John still have access to any old Wright paperwork concerning contract knives?

I have definitive proof of Howarth's making a fairly large consignment of knives for Rodgers in 1968, but that particular order does not include any Lambsfoot knives. I'd be happy to copy it for you my friend :thumbsup:

Actually Jack I've only ever had the original, and never tried any of it's variations.:( If our government hadn't destroyed the country I'd of been up at their brewery tap more often, but it was also becoming a regular at beer festivals around the country.

Well it's Monday. Apparently.
From a few days ago. All our ice thawed overnight.
qpQDfFu.jpg

I've had the original in bottles, cans, and on draught, but I think that might be the first time I've tasted the Imperial 'Very Bad Kitty', it's a hefty 9%, and tastes it, but I think it loses a lot of the flavour of the lighter brew. Yes, get up to Malton before the yuppies have it! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

Cool photo :cool: I was just about to head out for a neighbourhood walk, and go to the post office, but it's chucking it down now :( Want to get out while I still can! :eek:

4HWSWnj.jpg

Here's a bit of stuff from the papers John Maleham gave me. I'm sure I have a few other papers too, as I've used them as backgrounds in the past :thumbsup:

KiyACah.jpg

There's a full Joseph Elliot and Lockwood Brothers catalogue and pricelist from 1987, and some pages from a James Barber catalogue. The Elliot's catalogue contains the following Lambsfoot patterns:

3mBsO9k.jpg

The Lambsfoot above is very unusual, but similar to other pattern Elliot's made at this time, and quite a small stubby knife, similar in size to a GEC #25. As well as a triple rat-tail bolster in nickel silver, very unusually for a Sheffield Lambsfoot, it has an easy-open notch and a long-pull. It has a Lockwood Brother tang-stamp with the Joseph Elliot mark on the blade.

There are also these 3 knives, the last of which, strangely, is referred to as an Ettrick Knife:

5wcFsM4.jpg

There are price-lists for Howarth's and William Needham, almost identical in form.

SZr9JgZ.jpg

The Howarth's price-list include a couple of Lambsfoot knives, at £36 and £46 a dozen.

JgtJzgQ.jpg

The A. Wright 'Accident Book' is an interesting document, and contains surprisingly few entries, the first being from a female employee, a secretary perhaps, cutting her leg as she passes a stool. Having started work in the 1970's, my own experience was that workers did not routinely record minor injuries, seeing them as something that was intrinsic to their work, and something they didn't want to make a fuss about.

DdKvv83.jpg

u6he8Jr.jpg

Hope these records are of interest. I'm grateful to John Maleham for passing them on to me :thumbsup:

w1OHdIG.jpg

I have definitive proof of Howarth's making a fairly large consignment of knives for Rodgers in 1968, but that particular order does not include any Lambsfoot knives. I'd be happy to copy it for you my friend :thumbsup:

I've had the original in bottles, cans, and on draught, but I think that might be the first time I've tasted the Imperial 'Very Bad Kitty', it's a hefty 9%, and tastes it, but I think it loses a lot of the flavour of the lighter brew. Yes, get up to Malton before the yuppies have it! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

Cool photo :cool: I was just about to head out for a neighbourhood walk, and go to the post office, but it's chucking it down now :( Want to get out while I still can! :eek:

4HWSWnj.jpg

Here's a bit of stuff from the papers John Maleham gave me. I'm sure I have a few other papers too, as I've used them as backgrounds in the past :thumbsup:

KiyACah.jpg

There's a full Joseph Elliot and Lockwood Brothers catalogue and pricelist from 1987, and some pages from a James Barber catalogue. The Elliot's catalogue contains the following Lambsfoot patterns:

3mBsO9k.jpg

The Lambsfoot above is very unusual, but similar to other pattern Elliot's made at this time, and quite a small stubby knife, similar in size to a GEC #25. As well as a triple rat-tail bolster in nickel silver, very unusually for a Sheffield Lambsfoot, it has an easy-open notch and a long-pull. It has a Lockwood Brother tang-stamp with the Joseph Elliot mark on the blade.

There are also these 3 knives, the last of which, strangely, is referred to as an Ettrick Knife:

5wcFsM4.jpg

There are price-lists for Howarth's and William Needham, almost identical in form.

SZr9JgZ.jpg

The Howarth's price-list include a couple of Lambsfoot knives, at £36 and £46 a dozen.

JgtJzgQ.jpg

The A. Wright 'Accident Book' is an interesting document, and contains surprisingly few entries, the first being from a female employee, a secretary perhaps, cutting her leg as she passes a stool. Having started work in the 1970's, my own experience was that workers did not routinely record minor injuries, seeing them as something that was intrinsic to their work, and something they didn't want to make a fuss about.

DdKvv83.jpg

u6he8Jr.jpg

Hope these records are of interest. I'm grateful to John Maleham for passing them on to me :thumbsup:

w1OHdIG.jpg

Jack, great paperwork and fascinating information!!! So interesting to get a peak behind the curtains of business dealings. :)
It's also interesting to see how many cutlery companies from around the world contracted out to other companies for knives.
We tend to think this was really just done by hardware firms and other retailers, but even some of the largest cutlery companies in Germany and the United States contracted out to other companies for knives since at least the early 1900s. Most of that was a bit hush hush though, as I'm sure no company wanted to admit that fact. :)

Thanks for the info pal :) It's been my experience that small Sheffield cutlery firms try to keep as few records as possible, "for tax reasons" :rolleyes: In the past, as you know, individual Little Mesters and small firms made knives for any number of the larger firms, and even in recent times, Wright's have made knives for TEW, Eggington (Rodgers, IXL), and Jack Adams, as well as supplying Trevor Ablett and Michael May with blades and springs. Wright's changed ownership, and location, a number of times, and by the time John Maleham came to sell the firm, there was little historic paperwork left, but he was kind enough to give me what he could find. Just a few scraps of information really, but I'll try to find time to have a look through it later :thumbsup:

There's a reason it's the most commonly-seen pattern :) :thumbsup:

Hope you'll share it with us Mel, pull up a chair my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had a few beers with my Charlie Lamb last night ;)

OGuSuNz.jpg

PI05i71.jpg

mS32dsQ.jpg

But today, I am back to carrying my Hartshead Barlow :) Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start. Covid is spreading like crazy here again :( Take care and stay safe out there :thumbsup:

TiNSKXk.jpg

4HWSWnj.jpg

KiyACah.jpg

3mBsO9k.jpg

5wcFsM4.jpg

SZr9JgZ.jpg

JgtJzgQ.jpg

DdKvv83.jpg

u6he8Jr.jpg

w1OHdIG.jpg
Jack, great shots of your WCLF and your HHB. Two of the finest Lambfoot knives ever produced (IMHO):D. Very interesting documents you've posted. I noticed that someone had cut their leg on the edge of a stool:eek:. Man! They sharpened everything in these shops!:D

Good morning Guardians and all. I've come to the realization that I am a nitpicker and perfectionist:rolleyes:. My God, I can't leave anything alone:eek:. Obsessive compulsive. I see the smallest flaw I I will set out to fix it. Many times to my detriment:eek:. Fortunately I haven't ruined any of my knives yet. Pray for me:thumbsup:
I plopped this into my pocket today.
IMG_2801.JPG

Jack, great paperwork and fascinating information!!! So interesting to get a peak behind the curtains of business dealings. :)
It's also interesting to see how many cutlery companies from around the world contracted out to other companies for knives.
We tend to think this was really just done by hardware firms and other retailers, but even some of the largest cutlery companies in Germany and the United States contracted out to other companies for knives since at least the early 1900s. Most of that was a bit hush hush though, as I'm sure no company wanted to admit that fact. :)

Thanks buddy, since we all rely on your stunning historic catalogue collection so much, it's nice (and rare) to be able to show you some paperwork you don't already have! :D ;) I'll try and get everything copied for you at some point. Perhaps it wasn't generally well known elsewhere in England, but I think it was generally well known within Sheffield, about the contracting out, simply because so many people were involved in the cutlery trade. Historically, some writers also mentioned that a simple Sheffield penknife crossed the city many times before it was completed, and of course the jobbing cutlers, and the small firms of half a dozen workers, were the back-bone of the industry. I remember how strange the Rodgers-Wostenholm cutlers found all the secrecy around the Schrade-Wostenholm knives, some of which had parts made by Camillus, because that sort of thing wasn't considered unusual in Sheffield. In the past few decades, one or two Sheffield firms, starting with Viners, have even got away with importing knives from the Far East, though that was certainly considered shameful and dishonest.

Jack, great shots of your WCLF and your HHB. Two of the finest Lambfoot knives ever produced (IMHO):D. Very interesting documents you've posted. I noticed that someone had cut their leg on the edge of a stool:eek:. Man! They sharpened everything in these shops!:D

Good morning Guardians and all. I've come to the realization that I am a nitpicker and perfectionist:rolleyes:. My God, I can't leave anything alone:eek:. Obsessive compulsive. I see the smallest flaw I I will set out to fix it. Many times to my detriment:eek:. Fortunately I haven't ruined any of my knives yet. Pray for me:thumbsup:
I plopped this into my pocket today.
View attachment 1489307

Thanks Bill :D Your photo shows off the deep tones of that Ironwood to perfection :) :thumbsup:

:D I have a similar condition, and have ruined many an item in the name of making it better... including at least a couple knives... with a couple more that are still mocking me! :eek: Anything made of wood is particularly tempting!

Sorry to be an errant Guardian, but I thought I’d drop by to say hello. I hope you’re all well.

Herder, my friend, that catalogue image you found is fascinating, as always.

I actually recollect posting about one of those late period swell centre Rodgers Lambsfoots from a friend’s collection a few years ago here (with his prior blessing, of course).
This next knife by Joseph Rodgers is a little roughly fitted, and quite the curiosity, being a Lambsfoot on a swell centre, coke bottle type frame. I think Jack's view was that this is a late period Rodgers (1960s?), and possibly assembled from disparate parts, when the firm was in terminal decline.

j0uBhTB.jpg

(I think clicking the arrow at the top of the quote will lead back to the original post and discussion.)

Anyway, among all the fine Lambsfoot knives in that collection, I remember it was poorly fitted and had a rough action and weak snap to it. If you saw it in person, Jack’s guess at the time, that it might have been assembled at a late stage of JR’s existence from disparate parts, would seem to be a likely possibility.

So it’s very interesting that it was actually a full catalogue line model.

Cambertree Cambertree , thank you for the wonderfully detailed picto-tutorial, it is very helpful. A couple of questions, a) what grit diamond paste would you recommend and b) could you give a little a little more detail on the flushing and cleaning process (what agents ...) . I believe this would be valuable information for those of us taking a first step on the lamb foot slippery slope.
I particularly liked his idea of a fixed blade lamb foot and his finished knife was stellar.
Thanks very much Brewbear, I appreciate the time you took to read those old posts.

Congratulations on your first Lambsfoot knife!

To answer your questions -

I believe I used 3μm and then 1μm DMT diamond paste. Stan Shaw mentioned that he uses emery powder for lapping in actions.

I just use a non toxic, food safe oil and an old toothbrush and some cotton buds/Q-tips to flush and clean the knife. Mineral oil or camellia oil are what I would normally use. I also often use Ballistol for non food contact knives and areas.

I generally give all new traditional knives a quick wash in warm soapy water when I first get them, working the action a few times underwater. It’s amazing the debris that’s left at the bottom of the basin sometimes!

I dry the knife thoroughly afterwards for a while with low heat, and apply oil.

I generally grind back my edges to about 9 or 10 degrees per side.

I recently acquired a laser goniometer - a sure sign of the confirmed sharpening nerd :D, so those are actual measured angles.

Then I resharpen with the Sharpmaker at 15 dps.

Eventually the edge area thickens up with repeated sharpenings, and it’s back to the benchstones for some thinning out.

I prefer all my Lambsfoot knives to have a razorlike edge on them.

The steel is tough enough that it rarely gets problems with the edge in fairly thin cross sections, and in the event it does, it’s a cinch to repair and resharpen.

I’m talking about rolling and impaction - I’ve never had chipping occur on a Wright lambsfoot.

Even if you don’t have any dedicated sharpening gear, these knives respond well to all sorts of field expedients, like random kitchen steels, the bottom of coffee mugs, the top of car windows etc.

I like to use a little section of broken Spyderco Ultrafine Sharpmaker rod I carry in a pocket slip, to ‘steel’ my Lambsfoot knives with.

As far as carry, I either carry my ebony ‘Mah Knife’ Lambsfoot loose in my FLP, or if I’m carrying a Guardians knife with nice bolsters, I’ll always carry it in one of Dylan’s excellent slips.

Well, I guess everyone’s probably sick of hearing the C-word, so I’ll just mention we fairly recently came out of a long lockdown in Melbourne. My thoughts are with those who are doing it really tough at the the moment.

In the spirit of this thread about Lambsfoot knives and food :D:p though, here’s the photo evidence of the first two meals out, with Lambsfoot knives in tow, of course.

First up was catching up for a Pho with my brother and my HHB.

ghqb4MG.jpg

HPVTRPM.jpg

But this next place is what I daydreamed about during the months of lockdown:

B1IF3Rv.jpg

My Desert Ironwood Guardians knife is my usual choice of Lambsfoot ‘for best.’:);)

Last edited:

4HWSWnj.jpg

KiyACah.jpg

3mBsO9k.jpg

5wcFsM4.jpg

SZr9JgZ.jpg

JgtJzgQ.jpg

DdKvv83.jpg

u6he8Jr.jpg

w1OHdIG.jpg

Really interesting paperwork, Jack! :thumbsup: Curious to see “cut finger” on there a couple times, that certainly seems like it would fall under the category of minor-injury-not-worth-reporting. (It’s also funny that those two are reported one right after the other… 14 years apart.:D)

The small, stubby Elliot’s Lambsfoot is particularly intriguing to me, probably because I’m a big fan of GEC’s #25 pattern. ;) Maybe Charlie could twist Bill’s arm into making a #25 Stubby Lambsfoot! :D :thumbsup:

Sorry to be an errant Guardian, but I thought I’d drop by to say hello. I hope you’re all well.

I actually recollect posting about one of those late period swell centre Rodgers Lambsfoots from a friend’s collection a few years ago here (with his prior blessing, of course).

j0uBhTB.jpg

(I think clicking the arrow at the top of the quote will lead back to the original post and discussion.)

Anyway, among all the fine Lambsfoot knives in that collection, I remember it was poorly fitted and had a rough action and weak snap to it. If you saw it in person, Jack’s guess at the time, that it might have been assembled at a late stage of JR’s existence from disparate parts, would seem to be a likely possibility.

Thanks very much Brewbear, I appreciate the time you took to read those old posts.

Congratulations on your first Lambsfoot knife!

To answer your questions -

I believe I used 3μm and then 1μm DMT diamond paste. Stan Shaw mentioned that he uses emery powder for lapping in actions.

I just use a non toxic, food safe oil and an old toothbrush and some cotton buds/Q-tips to flush and clean the knife. Mineral oil or camellia oil are what I would normally use. I also often use Ballistol for non food contact knives and areas.

I generally give all new traditional knives a quick wash in warm soapy water when I first get them, working the action a few times underwater. It’s amazing the debris that’s left at the bottom of the basin sometimes!

I dry the knife thoroughly afterwards for a while with low heat, and apply oil.

I generally grind back my edges to about 9 or 10 degrees per side.

I recently acquired the tragic edge nerd tool :D of a laser goniometer, so those are actual measured angles.

Then I resharpen with the Sharpmaker at 15 dps.

Eventually the edge area thickens up with repeated sharpenings, and it’s back to the benchstones for some thinning out.

I prefer all my Lambsfoot knives to have a razorlike edge on them.

The steel is tough enough that it rarely gets problems with the edge in fairly thin cross sections, and in the event it does, it’s a cinch to repair and resharpen.

I’m talking about rolling and impaction - I’ve never had chipping occur on a Wright lambsfoot.

Even if you don’t have any dedicated sharpening gear, these knives respond well to all sorts of field expedients, like random kitchen steels, the bottom of coffee mugs, the top of car windows etc.

I like to use a little section of broken Spyderco Ultrafine Sharpmaker rod I carry in a pocket slip, to ‘steel’ my Lambsfoot knives with.

As far as carry, I either carry my ebony ‘Mah Knife’ Lambsfoot loose in my FLP, or if I’m carrying a Guardians knife with nice bolsters, I’ll always carry it in one of Dylan’s excellent slips.

Well, I guess everyone’s probably sick of hearing the C-word, so I’ll just mention we fairly recently came out of a long lockdown in Melbourne. My thoughts are with those who are doing it really tough at the the moment.

In the spirit of this thread about Lambsfoot knives and food :D:p though, here’s the photo evidence of the first two meals out, with Lambsfoot knives in tow, of course.

ghqb4MG.jpg

HPVTRPM.jpg

B1IF3Rv.jpg

My Desert Ironwood Guardians knife is my usual choice of Lambsfoot ‘for best.’:);)

Good to see you here, Chin, and excellent post (as always)! Looks like you’ve been eating well! :thumbsup: (We’ve gotten plenty of take out this past year, but I haven’t sat down and eaten at a restaurant since early March. :()

:D I have a similar condition, and have ruined many an item in the name of making it better... including at least a couple knives... with a couple more that are still mocking me! :eek: Anything made of wood is particularly tempting!

You fellers have got more energy than me! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Great pic Jer :cool: Nice contrast :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic to see you here Chin, I hope you're keeping well my friend :) :thumbsup:

j0uBhTB.jpg

I'm very pleased to have been proved wrong :) The SP I have looks to have been even more badly made :rolleyes: I don't think it could have been any later than 1972 when my granddad gave me one like the top knife below. It seemed to be a reasonably made knife, but since there's a good chance it came out of the back door of the works, or was made by a mate of his doing sub-contract work, it might have been a better than average example :rolleyes:

25h3Wlz.jpg

You should write up your notes on our trip to see Stan sometime Chin :) :thumbsup:

Good tip :) I sometimes steel my knives in that way :thumbsup:

It sounds like you're doing well there mate :) Certainly a lot better than here o_O

ghqb4MG.jpg

HPVTRPM.jpg

B1IF3Rv.jpg

Ah mate, what a feast! You must have enjoyed that :) :) Great pics. I am so missing eating out :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Really interesting paperwork, Jack! :thumbsup: Curious to see “cut finger” on there a couple times, that certainly seems like it would fall under the category of minor-injury-not-worth-reporting. (It’s also funny that those two are reported one right after the other… 14 years apart.:D)

The small, stubby Elliot’s Lambsfoot is particularly intriguing to me, probably because I’m a big fan of GEC’s #25 pattern. ;) Maybe Charlie could twist Bill’s arm into making a #25 Stubby Lambsfoot! :D :thumbsup:

Good to see you here, Chin, and excellent post (as always)! Looks like you’ve been eating well! :thumbsup: (We’ve gotten plenty of take out this past year, but I haven’t sat down and eaten at a restaurant since early March. :()

Thanks Barrett :) :D I sent Charlie a pattern just like that (with his initials) except for the blade. I am fascinated to see that they made a Lambsfoot version. Here is the stamp that made those bolsters (I was always trying to get Wright's to do me some) :thumbsup:

b2YVSIx.jpg

Hello all,

New here so thought I'd try this page first.

Ordered my first lambs foot (A. Wright) which should be arriving this week! Very excited....

In the meantime, I'm hoping someone can tell me how to upload pictures from my phone as I'm stumped!

Back