Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I’m not sure if this ever got posted here, but this is John Lloyd’s version of a lambsfoot. View attachment 1489387

I also, now, realize I’ve interrupted much more interesting conversation. Apologies.

I remember John posting here Mike, but I'm not sure that knife has ever been shown. Are those covers leather? How do you find it? Thanks a lot for letting us seeing it :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Hello all,

New here so thought I'd try this page first.

Ordered my first lambs foot (A. Wright) which should be arriving this week! Very excited....

In the meantime, I'm hoping someone can tell me how to upload pictures from my phone as I'm stumped!

It's always good to see a new face here :) I hope you get a nice one :thumbsup:

If you read post #1 (please do) in this thread, there's a link to the Technical Forum, and a thread about posting pics :thumbsup:

I remember John posting here Mike, but I'm not sure that knife has ever been shown. Are those covers leather? How do you find it? Thanks a lot for letting us seeing it :cool: :) :thumbsup:

If you read post #1 (please do) in this thread, there's a link to the Technical Forum, and a thread about posting pics :thumbsup:

Thankyou very much

qNulMKG

I hope this worked....

These were my great grandads. He was in his late 90s when he died, I was about 9ish. I'm now 34, they've been around a long time!

To me, they are treasure

I'm glad you still have them. Do you know how many years he had them, they are both very well used?

Welcome to the Guardians :thumbsup:

I really like John’s knives. Most of them are built to really be used, and I’m a fan of the 51200 steel. This knife is no exception, though I think I prefer a stouter blade on a Lambsfoot, if for no other reason than aesthetics.
The covers are stacked leather, which, I think, are just awesome - look and feel. A couple years ago, quite a few of his knives were covered in leather, but I haven’t seen a new one in a while, so I’m not sure if he’s still doing that. He was sure, though, that they would hold up well.

I'm glad you still have them. Do you know how many years he had them, they are both very well used?

Welcome to the Guardians :thumbsup:

Thankyou

I'm not sure how long he had them, I would expect quite a long time.

He was born early 1900's and went into in the Royal artillery. He was one of the last off Dunkirk and then went to Burma/India.

The trip to Burma is a great mystery he never spoke to anyone about it, not even my grandad.

Much investigation to be done

I would hazard a guess and say that they were obtained in the early stage of his life, 1920's to 1950 maybe? But I would have to investigate the brand further.

I really like John’s knives. Most of them are built to really be used, and I’m a fan of the 51200 steel. This knife is no exception, though I think I prefer a stouter blade on a Lambsfoot, if for no other reason than aesthetics.
The covers are stacked leather, which, I think, are just awesome - look and feel. A couple years ago, quite a few of his knives were covered in leather, but I haven’t seen a new one in a while, so I’m not sure if he’s still doing that. He was sure, though, that they would hold up well.

I think he's an excellent cutler Mike :) Thinking on, I think he is indexed here, but I'm on my phone right now, and it's a bit awkward to look :thumbsup:

Thankyou

I'm not sure how long he had them, I would expect quite a long time.

He was born early 1900's and went into in the Royal artillery. He was one of the last off Dunkirk and then went to Burma/India.

The trip to Burma is a great mystery he never spoke to anyone about it, not even my grandad.

Much investigation to be done

I would hazard a guess and say that they were obtained in the early stage of his life, 1920's to 1950 maybe? But I would have to investigate the brand further.

That's a coincidence, my granddad was in the RA in WW2 too. His last posting was to Palestine though. My dad was in the RA too, but just doing his National Service in the 50's. Fantastic that he had those knives so long :) :thumbsup:

I think he's an excellent cutler Mike :) Thinking on, I think he is indexed here, but I'm on my phone right now, and it's a bit awkward to look :thumbsup:

That's a coincidence, my granddad was in the RA in WW2 too. His last posting was to Palestine though. My dad was in the RA too, but just doing his National Service in the 50's. Fantastic that he had those knives so long :) :thumbsup:

That's amazing!! What a small world

I wonder if they ever crossed paths! That would be something!

I can't wait for my new lambs foot to arrive, I'm very excited.

I will post a picture when it arrives

His handle is @John L but it doesn’t look like he’s been too active lately.

That's amazing!! What a small world

I wonder if they ever crossed paths! That would be something!

I can't wait for my new lambs foot to arrive, I'm very excited.

I will post a picture when it arrives

Isn't it just! :D You never know, my granddad was also at Dunkirk. I don't know too much about his war service, as he only told me a few funny stories as a boy, but apparently he was in some sort of commando unit at some point too, and among the first British troops in Berlin. Then he went to Egypt and Palestine before going back to Sheffield. He worked at Tinsley Wire both before and after the war, being their 6th employee. He died in 1981 :thumbsup:

His handle is @John L but it doesn’t look like he’s been too active lately.

Here are his posts in this thread Mike, and he's referenced in the index here :thumbsup: I hope he's OK, and that we'll see him here again :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, since we all rely on your stunning historic catalogue collection so much, it's nice (and rare) to be able to show you some paperwork you don't already have! :D ;) I'll try and get everything copied for you at some point. Perhaps it wasn't generally well known elsewhere in England, but I think it was generally well known within Sheffield, about the contracting out, simply because so many people were involved in the cutlery trade. Historically, some writers also mentioned that a simple Sheffield penknife crossed the city many times before it was completed, and of course the jobbing cutlers, and the small firms of half a dozen workers, were the back-bone of the industry. I remember how strange the Rodgers-Wostenholm cutlers found all the secrecy around the Schrade-Wostenholm knives, some of which had parts made by Camillus, because that sort of thing wasn't considered unusual in Sheffield. In the past few decades, one or two Sheffield firms, starting with Viners, have even got away with importing knives from the Far East, though that was certainly considered shameful and dishonest.

Interesting information, and I'm so glad that you were around at the end of the Sheffield cutlery era to visit the last cutlers and hear the stories from those who worked in the trade.

Sorry to be an errant Guardian, but I thought I’d drop by to say hello. I hope you’re all well.

Herder, my friend, that catalogue image you found is fascinating, as always.

I actually recollect posting about one of those late period swell centre Rodgers Lambsfoots from a friend’s collection a few years ago here (with his prior blessing, of course).

j0uBhTB.jpg

(I think clicking the arrow at the top of the quote will lead back to the original post and discussion.)

Anyway, among all the fine Lambsfoot knives in that collection, I remember it was poorly fitted and had a rough action and weak snap to it. If you saw it in person, Jack’s guess at the time, that it might have been assembled at a late stage of JR’s existence from disparate parts, would seem to be a likely possibility.

So it’s very interesting that it was actually a full catalogue line model.

Thanks very much Brewbear, I appreciate the time you took to read those old posts.

Congratulations on your first Lambsfoot knife!

To answer your questions -

I believe I used 3μm and then 1μm DMT diamond paste. Stan Shaw mentioned that he uses emery powder for lapping in actions.

I just use a non toxic, food safe oil and an old toothbrush and some cotton buds/Q-tips to flush and clean the knife. Mineral oil or camellia oil are what I would normally use. I also often use Ballistol for non food contact knives and areas.

I generally give all new traditional knives a quick wash in warm soapy water when I first get them, working the action a few times underwater. It’s amazing the debris that’s left at the bottom of the basin sometimes!

I dry the knife thoroughly afterwards for a while with low heat, and apply oil.

I generally grind back my edges to about 9 or 10 degrees per side.

I recently acquired the tragic edge nerd tool :D of a laser goniometer, so those are actual measured angles.

Then I resharpen with the Sharpmaker at 15 dps.

Eventually the edge area thickens up with repeated sharpenings, and it’s back to the benchstones for some thinning out.

I prefer all my Lambsfoot knives to have a razorlike edge on them.

The steel is tough enough that it rarely gets problems with the edge in fairly thin cross sections, and in the event it does, it’s a cinch to repair and resharpen.

I’m talking about rolling and impaction - I’ve never had chipping occur on a Wright lambsfoot.

Even if you don’t have any dedicated sharpening gear, these knives respond well to all sorts of field expedients, like random kitchen steels, the bottom of coffee mugs, the top of car windows etc.

I like to use a little section of broken Spyderco Ultrafine Sharpmaker rod I carry in a pocket slip, to ‘steel’ my Lambsfoot knives with.

As far as carry, I either carry my ebony ‘Mah Knife’ Lambsfoot loose in my FLP, or if I’m carrying a Guardians knife with nice bolsters, I’ll always carry it in one of Dylan’s excellent slips.

Well, I guess everyone’s probably sick of hearing the C-word, so I’ll just mention we fairly recently came out of a long lockdown in Melbourne. My thoughts are with those who are doing it really tough at the the moment.

In the spirit of this thread about Lambsfoot knives and food :D:p though, here’s the photo evidence of the first two meals out, with Lambsfoot knives in tow, of course.

First up was catching up for a Pho with my brother and my HHB.

ghqb4MG.jpg

HPVTRPM.jpg

But this next place is what I daydreamed about during the months of lockdown:

B1IF3Rv.jpg

My Desert Ironwood Guardians knife is my usual choice of Lambsfoot ‘for best.’:);)

Cambertree, great to see you here my friend and thanks for that picture of the swell center Rodgers lamb foot knife.
And of course, nice to see your other wonderful pictures as well.

Back