Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good to see you here, Chin, and excellent post (as always)! Looks like you’ve been eating well! :thumbsup: (We’ve gotten plenty of take out this past year, but I haven’t sat down and eaten at a restaurant since early March. :()

Thanks Barrett! :)

I agree, that ‘carbine length’ Lambsfoot is a very interesting variant. The 25 GEC pattern is one of my favourites too, and I’d love to see a (Waynorth?;):cool:) version with a proper lambsfoot blade. It would be a very useful knife, I’m sure.

Yeah, I’ve been doing lots of home cooking and concocting new recipes during lockdown. The upside of having no restaurants or pubs open during lockdown here, is I seem to have lost about 15kg since this time last year!

Fantastic to see you here Chin, I hope you're keeping well my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, as always, Jack.:)

You should write up your notes on our trip to see Stan sometime Chin :) :thumbsup:

Yes, I was just thinking about Stan the other day. He must be, what, 93, 94 now? I hope he’s going well.

http://www.aroundtownmagazine.co.uk/aroundtown-meets-stan-shaw/

Ah mate, what a feast! You must have enjoyed that :) :) Great pics. I am so missing eating out :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks mate - ah yeah, that first post lockdown Pho was pretty great!

Regarding that list of Lambsfoot knife manufacturers, would W. Jno Baker count? I think Keith Spencer has a reference to the knives with the stamp of that Sydney factor being produced by the Phoenix works.

I’m not sure if this ever got posted here, but this is John Lloyd’s version of a lambsfoot. View attachment 1489387

I also, now, realize I’ve interrupted much more interesting conversation. Apologies.

Beautiful knife there, Mike. :cool: Thanks for showing it, as I’d often wondered what the finished knives looked like, after John posted some questions about the Lambsfoot pattern here a few years back.

Those leather handles are very cool - I bet they feel great in hand.

I’m a big fan of 52100 steel as well. Along with O1, it’s probably one of my favourite ASTM/ASMI ‘carbon steel’ grades.

(Clicking the first quote arrow in my previous post, will go back to one of the conversations following John’s question about whether Lambsfoot knives traditionally had a half stop or not.)

Cambertree, great to see you here my friend and thanks for that picture of the swell center Rodgers lamb foot knife.
And of course, nice to see your other wonderful pictures as well.

Thanks very much, Herder my friend.:)

Oh my photo of the knife was shamefully bad :oops:, but it is interesting to see an actual example of one of those swell centre Lambsfoot variants!

Hey there Chin, nice to see your post my friend!:thumbsup: The food photos look amazing:thumbsup:. What a meal:D I also treasure my Ironwood Guardians knife (gifted to me).

Cheers Bill!:)

You have a really fine Desert Ironwood there, my friend. That run was really special.:cool:

Ke0A6jJ.jpg

Last edited:
Great pic Dylan, I hope Dry January is going OK for you pal. I always drink a lot of teas when I am on the waggon. Nice to see the pile side of your Hartshead Barlow :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. So far, so good on Dry January - I am drinking LOTS of tea, so much that I had to order some more tea. I am taking the opportunity to try some new ones out - hopefully, the shipment will get in soon and I can give them a go.

While we mostly see the classic swayback handle lamb foot models, older lamb Foot knives were actually offered in a wide array of shapes and sizes.
Lamb foot blades were also offered in a number of different multi-blade sportsman's knives.
Enclosed is a different handle shape (straight swell center) next to a "standard" model as seen in a post WWII Joseph Rodgers catalog.

View attachment 1488806

I do certainly prefer the Swayback frame, especially when housing a Lambsfoot but that swell center frame is fascinating. Would be interesting to experience one in the wild.

Sorry to be an errant Guardian, but I thought I’d drop by to say hello. I hope you’re all well.

Herder, my friend, that catalogue image you found is fascinating, as always.

I actually recollect posting about one of those late period swell centre Rodgers Lambsfoots from a friend’s collection a few years ago here (with his prior blessing, of course).

j0uBhTB.jpg

(I think clicking the arrow at the top of the quote will lead back to the original post and discussion.)

Anyway, among all the fine Lambsfoot knives in that collection, I remember it was poorly fitted and had a rough action and weak snap to it. If you saw it in person, Jack’s guess at the time, that it might have been assembled at a late stage of JR’s existence from disparate parts, would seem to be a likely possibility.

So it’s very interesting that it was actually a full catalogue line model.

Thanks very much Brewbear, I appreciate the time you took to read those old posts.

Congratulations on your first Lambsfoot knife!

To answer your questions -

I believe I used 3μm and then 1μm DMT diamond paste. Stan Shaw mentioned that he uses emery powder for lapping in actions.

I just use a non toxic, food safe oil and an old toothbrush and some cotton buds/Q-tips to flush and clean the knife. Mineral oil or camellia oil are what I would normally use. I also often use Ballistol for non food contact knives and areas.

I generally give all new traditional knives a quick wash in warm soapy water when I first get them, working the action a few times underwater. It’s amazing the debris that’s left at the bottom of the basin sometimes!

I dry the knife thoroughly afterwards for a while with low heat, and apply oil.

I generally grind back my edges to about 9 or 10 degrees per side.

I recently acquired a laser goniometer - a sure sign of the confirmed sharpening nerd :D, so those are actual measured angles.

Then I resharpen with the Sharpmaker at 15 dps.

Eventually the edge area thickens up with repeated sharpenings, and it’s back to the benchstones for some thinning out.

I prefer all my Lambsfoot knives to have a razorlike edge on them.

The steel is tough enough that it rarely gets problems with the edge in fairly thin cross sections, and in the event it does, it’s a cinch to repair and resharpen.

I’m talking about rolling and impaction - I’ve never had chipping occur on a Wright lambsfoot.

Even if you don’t have any dedicated sharpening gear, these knives respond well to all sorts of field expedients, like random kitchen steels, the bottom of coffee mugs, the top of car windows etc.

I like to use a little section of broken Spyderco Ultrafine Sharpmaker rod I carry in a pocket slip, to ‘steel’ my Lambsfoot knives with.

As far as carry, I either carry my ebony ‘Mah Knife’ Lambsfoot loose in my FLP, or if I’m carrying a Guardians knife with nice bolsters, I’ll always carry it in one of Dylan’s excellent slips.

Well, I guess everyone’s probably sick of hearing the C-word, so I’ll just mention we fairly recently came out of a long lockdown in Melbourne. My thoughts are with those who are doing it really tough at the the moment.

In the spirit of this thread about Lambsfoot knives and food :D:p though, here’s the photo evidence of the first two meals out, with Lambsfoot knives in tow, of course.

First up was catching up for a Pho with my brother and my HHB.

ghqb4MG.jpg

HPVTRPM.jpg

But this next place is what I daydreamed about during the months of lockdown:

B1IF3Rv.jpg

My Desert Ironwood Guardians knife is my usual choice of Lambsfoot ‘for best.’:);)

Very good to see you here, Chin, I hope you are keeping well these days.

Coffee, a couple of Irish cigarillos, and a lovely Lambsfoot during a break in the weather - hard to get much better than this.

hdII2Xe.jpg

Thank you, Jack. So far, so good on Dry January - I am drinking LOTS of tea, so much that I had to order some more tea. I am taking the opportunity to try some new ones out - hopefully, the shipment will get in soon and I can give them a go.

I do certainly prefer the Swayback frame, especially when housing a Lambsfoot but that swell center frame is fascinating. Would be interesting to experience one in the wild.

Very good to see you here, Chin, I hope you are keeping well these days.

Coffee, a couple of Irish cigarillos, and a lovely Lambsfoot during a break in the weather - hard to get much better than this.

hdII2Xe.jpg
Looks good to me!

Interesting to see these late model German-made copies of a lamb foot model. When I was searching for the existence German-made lamb foot knives, I didn't look much past the WWI era.
I'll have to go back and dig further for later models, but I doubt any will show up much before these post WWII era examples.

Sorry for missing your post my friend, obviously I'll be interested in anything you turn up. The cheap CK knives tend to be sold in gardening centres and hardware stores here :thumbsup:

Thank you, I really don't mind the fairly light pull but I wish it had a more traditional/classic carbon blade. It will be my EDC for the next week since the size is much better than the other Lambsfoot (from A. W) which is a large....

It's a shame most of the Sheffield manufacturers have gone to stainless, but I guess it reflects modern consumer demand, and the demands of UK knife retailers, who tend to be a rather ignorant bunch in my experience :(

Well, I received it today.

It's alright on first appearances however on closer inspection I found issues that echo all through this thread about some of the A Wright knives.

It's a pity.

The blade is uneven, the cutting bevel is shockingly different. Was virtually non existant in one place.

I've sharpened and cleaned it and since found a chip in one of the scales under a bolster.

I think stevie wonder may have QC'd this one.

Now I've sorted the blade, I'm happier with it, but when you think for the same money you can buy an opinal or a victorinox which has none of the above, it does make you wonder why they can't improve their hit rate!!

Anyway, have a great evening everyone

Very sorry to hear this Harley, but it seems that standards are at an all-time low at Wright's, with QC being virtually non-existent. The most shameful thing, in my opinion, is that this firm is capable of producing better, and yet they are quite content to send out shoddily-made knives to their customers o_O Feel free to share some photos if you're able to :thumbsup:

The QC is really laxed with them, my Lambsfoot has scales separation, uneven grind and side-to-side play. I am wondering if a light tap with a leather mallet would correct the wobble or if I should just leave well enough alone and live with it.

That's shocking! o_O Side-to-side play is usually pretty easy to sort out, and I've made quite a few how-to posts about it over the years, as have others, so the 'search' function will hopefully turn something up. Can you remind me what the covers are made from?

Nice day to be out on foot with the lambs.
View attachment 1490063

Smashing pic Mike, hope the kids are doing alright :) :thumbsup:

I agree, that ‘carbine length’ Lambsfoot is a very interesting variant. The 25 GEC pattern is one of my favourites too, and I’d love to see a (Waynorth?;):cool:) version with a proper lambsfoot blade. It would be a very useful knife, I’m sure.

Wouldn't that be cool?! :D Go Charlie! ;) :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I’ve been doing lots of home cooking and concocting new recipes during lockdown. The upside of having no restaurants or pubs open during lockdown here, is I seem to have lost about 15kg since this time last year!

Good for you my friend :) As you know, I also love cooking, but I'm starting to get a little tired of just cooking for myself most of the time, and I can't get fresh ingredients as easily as usual. I may be the only person in the country, who hasn't ordered a takeaway this year, but I sure am looking forward to eating out again. Considering the amount of beer I've drunk, and a lot of 'comfort food' I wouldn't normally eat, I'm amazed my weight has remained steady :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words, as always, Jack.:)
Yes, I was just thinking about Stan the other day. He must be, what, 93, 94 now? I hope he’s going well.

http://www.aroundtownmagazine.co.uk/aroundtown-meets-stan-shaw/

Thanks for that link Chin, it's a decent piece that :) Nice that Sheffield Scene get a mention:

“I was scared stiff that I’d never get work and I wasn’t particularly young. But I took a dozen penknives to Sheffield Scene on Surrey Street and came out with a thousand pound order – I’ve never looked back.”
Sadly, 2020 wasn't kind to Stan, he was in and out of hospital, and is still very unwell. I had a long chat with Rosemary before Christmas, but sadly, Stan was not well enough to come to the phone :(

Thanks mate - ah yeah, that first post lockdown Pho was pretty great!

Mmmm....Can't wait! :) :thumbsup:

Regarding that list of Lambsfoot knife manufacturers, would W. Jno Baker count? I think Keith Spencer has a reference to the knives with the stamp of that Sydney factor being produced by the Phoenix works.

I still need to go back and finish updating the list with all @herder 's additions! I've tried to just list manufacturers, though it might be worth starting a secondary list of factors. Weren't W. Jno Baker just the latter?

Nice to see your Unity Lambsfoot pal :) :thumbsup:

Good luck my friend, it's always worth having a break now and then I think. I bought a whole bunch of teas myself, now I can barely get in my food cupboards without them falling out! :rolleyes:

hdII2Xe.jpg

Excellent photo Dylan, I used to enjoy cigarillos myself in my younger days :) :thumbsup:

Buffalo Trace edition!? Sounds goooood!

It was very tasty Taylor :) Finally finished off my Christmas ales last night :thumbsup:

ovFgp74.jpg

Good morning Guardians, still haven't had my first coffee yet today, so I'm still not firing on all cylinders :rolleyes: Plenty to do though, so I better get to it. Hope everyone is doing OK :) Carrying my Cinnamon Giraffe Bone @jsdistin re-cover today :) :thumbsup:

YR76r42.jpg

HmOg4pR.jpg

I've just been pit to the post office about a mile away, and it rained all the way there, all the way back, and all the time I stood outside waiting my turn o_O Miserable day here, and I'm glad to be back home :thumbsup:

ajiOcLV.jpg

That’s a good looking hat, Jack, and a handsome customized Lambsfoot, as well. Those covers look a bit like the skin of an apple (specifically a Pink Lady apple, one of my favorites). :thumbsup:

I've just been pit to the post office about a mile away, and it rained all the way there, all the way back, and all the time I stood outside waiting my turn o_O Miserable day here, and I'm glad to be back home :thumbsup:

ajiOcLV.jpg
Your Orvis cap may need a touchup of water repellant after your rainy adventure to the Post Office:D.

Today started out foggy but the sun broke through:). Warming up to 60 deg F today - yippee!:thumbsup: Think I'll recycle a photo.
IMG_2686.JPG

That’s a good looking hat, Jack, and a handsome customized Lambsfoot, as well. Those covers look a bit like the skin of an apple (specifically a Pink Lady apple, one of my favorites). :thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett, I sometimes indulge myself with a Pink Lady myself :) I'm not really eating enough fruit at the moment :( :thumbsup:

Your Orvis cap may need a touchup of water repellant after your rainy adventure to the Post Office:D.

Today started out foggy but the sun broke through:). Warming up to 60 deg F today - yippee!:thumbsup: Think I'll recycle a photo.
View attachment 1490306

I'll get the wax out Bill! :D Glad to hear you've got some sun :) I think we have rain forecast all week, which is pretty bad for folks with kids, particularly those without gardens :( I've just made a large beer order, so I'll be staying in for that tomorrow ;) Nice photo of your Hartshead Barlow :) :thumbsup:

That's shocking! o_O Side-to-side play is usually pretty easy to sort out, and I've made quite a few how-to posts about it over the years, as have others, so the 'search' function will hopefully turn something up. Can you remind me what the covers are made from?
The covers are stag, I will search the forums and attempt a fix when I have a little time.

Back