Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thank you :) Yes, it's mid afternoon here in Yorkshire :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear you've taken to the pattern. Sorry to hear you're struggling to get them sharp, I'm finding Wright's edges reasonable these days, and sharpening a straight blade is relatively straight forward. Lots of folks have experimented with edge angles, including myself, but I find 20 degrees a side about right. One of our Guardians, Greg @WhittlinAway very kindly set up a thread index, with the help of some other volunteers (thanks guys) - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-172#post-17681582 - There are links there about breaking in, sharpening, and feeding and maintenance. Please feel to ask any questions, and report on your experiences here though :thumbsup:

View attachment 883602

Well Jack and fellow Guardians, I finally got my, A Wright LF sharp enough to slice paper with ease. At first it would only bend the paper,:eek:
so at least I'm gaining an edge so to speak. I read some of the posts that Jack pointed me to,which proved helpful,as there were others that posted regarding blunt blades. I used my Work Sharp manual sharpener set at 17° per side, starting with coarse diamonds on to fine and x fine, then strop. Finally finished on the ceramic rods which I believe are 20° not shaving sharp,but at least somewhat sharp.:D

Well Jack and fellow Guardians, I finally got my, A Wright LF sharp enough to slice paper with ease. At first it would only bend the paper,:eek:
so at least I'm gaining an edge so to speak. I read some of the posts that Jack pointed me to,which proved helpful,as there were others that posted regarding blunt blades. I used my Work Sharp manual sharpener set at 17° per side, starting with coarse diamonds on to fine and x fine, then strop. Finally finished on the ceramic rods which I believe are 20° not shaving sharp,but at least somewhat sharp.:D

It sounds like you had your work cut out there! :eek: I hope things get easier, there has been speculation that sharpening on a wheel at the factory may occasionally lead to a slightly annealed blade, so it can take some work to get to the good steel again :thumbsup:

IMG_0699.JPG

Look forward to seeing some pics ;) :thumbsup:

But the cut-out sheet is a great artifact to grace the wall of any knife room or den.
It evokes thoughts of the cutleries I have visited, and the fascinating process, including hundreds of hand operations, that it takes to makes these useful objects we love so much!!
I would wager that Wright's could sell these as decoration, if they don't do so already. Are they generally just sold off as scrap?

Today I go back to my only Lamsfoot knife, here well accompanied by a two-pound coin...

5ewnc2.jpg
j13ptz.jpg
63stpt.jpg

I would wager that Wright's could sell these as decoration, if they don't do so already. Are they generally just sold off as scrap?

Yes indeed, but most of them do just go for scrap :(

Here's a few of the spring cut-outs :thumbsup:

IMG_0693.JPG

Today I go back to my only Lamsfoot knife, here well accompanied by a two-pound coin...

5ewnc2.jpg
j13ptz.jpg
63stpt.jpg

Nice to see that one again, cool pics :) :thumbsup:

Visiting the pub this afternoon after visiting a few North Yorkshire antique centres ;) Hope everyone is having a good weekend :thumbsup:

AWSFO 42-7.JPG

A set of them would look great in any man cave, Wright's should sell them on Etsy as re-purposed mid century modern art. Bound to get more than the scrap price....

Yes, but you're talking about a company which doesn't even own a computer, with an owner who thinks the internet is some kind of witchcraft! :rolleyes: ;)

Yes, but you're talking about a company which doesn't even own a computer, with an owner who thinks the internet is some kind of witchcraft!
LOL!! Well he may be right about the witchcraft aspect. After all, if it has the power to turn pounds of scrap into Pounds of Sterling....

LOL!! Well he may be right about the witchcraft aspect. After all, if it has the power to turn pounds of scrap into Pounds of Sterling....

Oh he thinks it's just a passing fad, like mobile telephones, and even postage stamps :rolleyes: ;)

Just paused for a snack of samosas and chutney :)

AW Ebony Lambsfoot 26-9.JPG

I could have just chewed on a piece of tripe or gnawed on a turnip of course ;)

Back