Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning Guardians !

We're in for some severe thunderstorms today and there is also a flood watch as well. .
ePnV5fz.gif

Carrying my Rodgers 2 blade today πŸ‘

Outstanding Lamb πŸ‘

Thanks Steve, I'll have to get a pic with Schultz included :) :thumbsup:

pic sharing
Handsome Lamb πŸ‘
Good morning Guardians, I hope your week is going well. We were forecast a week of rain, but it's OK so far, not hot, not cold, just fair to middlin' ;) I've got some work to do this morning, but might have an excuse to go out later. Enjoying carrying Big Rose :) Have a good day Guardians :thumbsup:

There's just something about Big Rose 🌹 that is appealing! πŸ‘πŸ€ 
Good morning all...sunshine on the Jersey shore!!
Another beautiful Lamb πŸ˜πŸ‘

Thanks Jack, I should be pretty safe here as I live on higher ground.
That's good to hear Steve :thumbsup: Speaking of higher ground, my next set of holiday snaps are from the Dikti Mountains of Crete! ;) :thumbsup:

We sped away from Knossos, and further into the mountains, our tour schedule sacrificed to Chronos. Our driver took the hair-pin bends at a speed that didn't allow for fine photography, but I snapped a few pics through the tinted window of the tour bus.

High in the mountains we stopped for 10 minutes at an isolated monastery, which was supposed to be one of the main items on the itinerary :rolleyes: The tour-guide, anxious for us to get moving again, didn't exactly sell the place, and I decided against paying the high admission price, for such a brief visit, (with no photography permitted), so just admired the spectacular views :thumbsup:

As I once heard a lady say at a local beauty spot, "It'd be a lovely view, if they'd only cut all the trees down." :eek: :D Fortunately, I had a telephoto lens in my bag ;)

screenshot on pc

I can think of a few dozen classical Greek metaphors to describe our driver's break-neck zig-zagging over the course of the next half hour, but I'll spare you the Apollonic horses :D I suspect that it was not an usual speed for the driver of a Greek tour-bus, but it would have been nice to take in the incredible views at a slightly more leisurely pace, and even stop for the odd photo opportunity :rolleyes: I did my best 🀨

Eventually, we reached the zenith of our journey, and what lay ahead was quite incredible, the broad flat Lasithi Plateau, was spread out before us like a patchwork quilt. I couldn't stop thinking what a find this high, fertile plain must have been to those who first discovered it. Even today, it is isolated, but clearly very much loved by those who live here. There are fewer farmers today than in the past, with the teenagers now having to go to schools outside the valley, but the people think of their home as a special place, in which they are lucky to live, with families going back hundreds of years. There have been special innovations, which are still in use today, such as a canal system to allow drainage when the snows melt, and windmills, which pump water. Of course, like most places in Crete, some of the population make some of their living from tourism, and the most important destination for those visiting the area was where we were headed: Dikteon Cave, the legendary birthplace of Zeus.

Much as I would have liked to see the cave, we too were hiding from Chronos (;)), with not much more than an hour to make the 20 minute, notoriously steep ascent to the cave, queue to pay, then descend the 400 steps down, tour the cave, then back up, and down the steep hill again. It worked out for the best, because I wouldn't have had time to explore the exceptional view, have a couple of beers, talk to some of the friendly locals, buy a few gifts, and by chance, meet a Cretan cutler :) I had my first beer, just where those gents are sitting in the last photo. Talk about a room with a view!

After drinking my first beer in that lofty spot, and taking these photos, (and a short video), I visited the first of several gift shops at the site, and ended up having a good laugh with the owner. In the second shop I visited, I got talking to a younger man. His English wasn't the best, but he was happy to talk, as best as that allowed. He was from the plateau, like his forbears, had gone away to university, but returned to his home, where he hoped to spend the rest of his life. I asked about marriage prospects in this thinly populated place, and he said, luckily, he had already found a wife. The young man asked about my own home, and I told him I was from Sheffield, "where steel and knives are made." He then told me his father had been a cutler, but had retired a couple of years ago, and now just worked on the family farm. Just then, the father appeared, and it turned out he spoke slightly more English than his son. We had a short, but warm conversation, and of course, I showed him Wee Staggy, whom he greatly admired :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I can think of a few dozen classical Greek metaphors to describe our driver's break-neck zig-zagging over the course of the next half hour, but I'll spare you the Apollonic horses :D I suspect that it was not an usual speed for the driver of a Greek tour-bus, but it would have been nice to take in the incredible views at a slightly more leisurely pace, and even stop for the odd photo opportunity :rolleyes: I did my best 🀨

Eventually, we reached the zenith of our journey, and what lay ahead was quite incredible, the broad flat Lasithi Plateau, was spread out before us like a patchwork quilt. I couldn't stop thinking what a find this high, fertile plain must have been to those who first discovered it. Even today, it is isolated, but clearly very much loved by those who live here. There are fewer farmers today than in the past, with the teenagers now having to go to schools outside the valley, but the people think of their home as a special place, in which they are lucky to live, with families going back hundreds of years. There have been special innovations, which are still in use today, such as a canal system to allow drainage when the snows melt, and windmills, which pump water. Of course, like most places in Crete, some of the population make some of their living from tourism, and the most important destination for those visiting the area was where we were headed: Dikteon Cave, the legendary birthplace of Zeus.

Much as I would have liked to see the cave, we too were hiding from Chronos (;)), with not much more than an hour to make the 20 minute, notoriously steep ascent to the cave, queue to pay, then descend the 400 steps down, tour the cave, then back up, and down the steep hill again. It worked out for the best, because I wouldn't have had time to explore the exceptional view, have a couple of beers, talk to some of the friendly locals, buy a few gifts, and by chance, meet a Cretan cutler :) I had my first beer, just where those gents are sitting in the last photo. Talk about a room with a view!

After drinking my first beer in that lofty spot, and taking these photos, (and a short video), I visited the first of several gift shops at the site, and ended up having a good laugh with the owner. In the second shop I visited, I got talking to a younger man. His English wasn't the best, but he was happy to talk, as best as that allowed. He was from the plateau, like his forbears, had gone away to university, but returned to his home, where he hoped to spend the rest of his life. I asked about marriage prospects in this thinly populated place, and he said, luckily, he had already found a wife. The young man asked about my own home, and I told him I was from Sheffield, "where steel and knives are made." He then told me his father had been a cutler, but had retired a couple of years ago, and now just worked on the family farm. Just then, the father appeared, and it turned out he spoke slightly more English than his son. We had a short, but warm conversation, and of course, I showed him Wee Staggy, whom he greatly admired :) :thumbsup:
Wow what a view! πŸ‘ Wee Staggy lookin good! 🀠
That's a looker David :) Hope the wind drops soon :thumbsup:
Thank you kindly!

More great [pictures Jack !

How fortunate to run into a Greek cutler πŸ‘

Wow what a view! πŸ‘ Wee Staggy lookin good! 🀠
Thanks David, definitely worth the price of a pint eh?! :D ;) I have to say, it was really windy there though! :D :thumbsup:
More great [pictures Jack !

How fortunate to run into a Greek cutler πŸ‘
Thanks Steve, what are the chances, especially in such an isolated spot? I would have loved to have found out more :) :thumbsup:
Spectacular old world charm, Jack, thanks for the photo-tour. I'm relaxing at home with Roper after taking a new photo.

BDTXAVX.jpg
Thank you very much my friend, great pic :cool: :thumbsup:
Good afternoon !

Battening down the hatches here as there are severe storms moving through any minute .

Bonus pic of the day

Stay safe with that sweet Lamb buddy :) :thumbsup:

Back