Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Yeah well I guess it's been awhile since I was hitting on all cylinders too. Shoulder surgery coming up here in a few days.
So Trevor Ablett - a custom builder?

I know the feeling my friend, good luck with your surgery :thumbsup:

Trevor Ablett was for many years just a jobbing cutler, but then he started adding his name to his knives. The blades came from Wright's, and didn't sell for much more than their knives. His signature was brass bolsters, often extended. Sadly, he died of cancer a couple of years ago, but he worked almost to the end. This poignant photo was taken on his last day at work, in the workshop he shared with Bowie Knife Maker Reg Wilson.

NUvLbXd.jpg

Thanks for sharing that Jack. Wonderful photo and poignant indeed.

You're welcome my friend :)

Does Wrights make their own blades or are the brought in?

Apart from the HT, they do everything themselves, and they sometimes do the HT! They also supply blades, and do work, for other Sheffield cutlers :thumbsup:

Check out the factory tour (the blades start out in the shed at the back, being punched out on one of the ancient presses): https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/visiting-arthur-wright-son-pics.1481181/ (That's Ashley doing the forging there!)

You're welcome my friend :)

Apart from the HT, they do everything themselves, and they sometimes do the HT! They also supply blades, and do work, for other Sheffield cutlers :thumbsup:

Check out the factory tour (the blades start out in the shed at the back, being punched out on one of the ancient presses): https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/visiting-arthur-wright-son-pics.1481181/ (That's Ashley doing the forging there!)
Thanks, Jack, quite the place lots and lots of history right there. :thumbsup: Must be a high crime area with the razor wire on the roof as well as bars on the windows.:eek:

Last edited:

Trevor Ablett was for many years just a jobbing cutler, but then he started adding his name to his knives. The blades came from Wright's, and didn't sell for much more than their knives. His signature was brass bolsters, often extended. Sadly, he died of cancer a couple of years ago, but he worked almost to the end. This poignant photo was taken on his last day at work, in the workshop he shared with Bowie Knife Maker Reg Wilson.

NUvLbXd.jpg

Thanks Jack, for this fantastic picture!!!

Dave I'm afraid you will get your first knife of the year before me, the last tracking update on mine was 7 days 18 hours ago "pris en charge" meaning it was accepted but apparently those Frenchmen are in no hurry to move it along:(

Yipee party time! I'm looking forward to my first knife of the year. :D

Hope the surgery goes well Dwight. We don't realize how many movements the shoulder is involved in until it's injured.

Yeah well I guess it's been awhile since I was hitting on all cylinders too. Shoulder surgery coming up here in a few days.

NUvLbXd.jpg
Thanks for the picture Jack. I've read a few times that Mr. Ablett made quality knives that could punch above their price range. A massive loss to not only Sheffield but the knife community as a whole and it is a sad disservice that many are aware of him. However, like a true artist, his passion kept him going until the very end. It is a fate that I'm sure most would not mind at the very least.

Dave I'm afraid you will get your first knife of the year before me, the last tracking update on mine was 7 days 18 hours ago "pris en charge" meaning it was accepted but apparently those Frenchmen are in no hurry to move it along:(
That's a bummer, Rob lets hope they're not like Canada Post and Customs, nine weeks from Leeds is downright abysmal.:thumbsdown: I sure am looking forward to what's in the mail :D

Good luck with your surgery my friend .That should keep you out of trouble for a little while Dwight .

Harry

Back