Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Glad they got through! Please tell us about them. The to outside ones look different at the tip, or is it the angle?

yes they are slightly different. the blade angles are slightly more acute on those and ones a sheepsfoot. these were the ones in snakewood that I really fell for and had to have. I actually made a mistake when ordering these and ordered two in sheepsfoot, but corrected it in time. The sheepsfoot seems to have more of a wharncliffe feel to the blade compared the lambsfoot. Both are slightly smaller than rosewood but with quite the snap! the rosewood was just gritty and needed to be cleaned out. I was warned however that that was the most economical of the models and they need a little tlc. fun stuff, have a few more due me, and was just on the site figuring out which ones next. after the rendezvous of course

Jack. As a lad from Hove Edge, Brighouse now living 6000 miles to the west, I enjoyed your photos of Shibden Hall. I spent many a happy hour there.

Last edited:
some of them have arrived!

Yay! :) They must be the most talked about anticipated Lambsfoot knives in the history of the pattern! :p:D:thumbsup:

oops got too eager there and forgot to share the pictures

0gzB1
http://imgur.com/a/0gzB1
0gzB1

ok, since my membership ran out, picture sharing is a bit harder, but oh well, heres the ones that came in! http://imgur.com/a/9fEhr one of em sure is gritty :D:eek::rolleyes:

You should still be able to share images from your Imgur account, even without paid membership here :thumbsup: Please note though, that you can preview your post before posting it (the 'More Options' button), and if you still make a mess of your post, you can always re-edit it, rather than making another post :thumbsup:

They look good, particularly the snakewood :thumbsup: Look forward to reading your thoughts on the pattern :thumbsup:

Mr K.jpg

Can't wait to also see those in Titusville Jack . We will be there by noon on Thursday .

should be a good time, looking forward to it Harry, ill be driving out on wednesday morning

Safe travels guys, and have a great time in Titusville :) Don't drive too fast Jack ;) :thumbsup:

Jack. As a lad from Hove Edge, Brighouse now living 6000 miles to the west, I enjoyed your photos of Shibden Hall. I spent many a happy hour there.

Thanks my friend, small world eh? :) I'll try and take one of my Lambsfoot knives over to Brighouse soon :thumbsup:

IMG_4723S.JPG

In the meantime, here's another pic from Shibden Hall :) :thumbsup:

AW SB Lambsfoot 18.7.jpg

Last edited:
I attempted that Jack, sorry for multiple posts attempts haha, the option just didnt work when I tried to select it, it kept leaving . .. for a few of the pictures, need to work on figure that out.

Currently wondering why if they are all A. Wrights, how come some are just finished better. I definitely like the smaller snakewoods currently and am wondering if theyll let me use the belt sander at GEC to smooth that sway off the rosewood :D;):eek:

I attempted that Jack, sorry for multiple posts attempts haha, the option just didnt work when I tried to select it, it kept leaving . .. for a few of the pictures, need to work on figure that out.

Currently wondering why if they are all A. Wrights, how come some are just finished better. I definitely like the smaller snakewoods currently and am wondering if theyll let me use the belt sander at GEC to smooth that sway off the rosewood :D;):eek:

You're not alone in struggling with the new system my friend :) In terms of image hosting/posting, there are a lot of helpful threads in the Technical forum - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/ - and I'm sure that someone will be able to help you there. It's also a pretty good place to try test posts :thumbsup:

To preview your post, prior to posting, click on the 'More Options' button below the post window, on the right, and then 'Preview' (bottom right again) :thumbsup:

To edit posts after they've been made, just click on 'Edit', below your post, on the left.

If you're not seeing any of those buttons, you may want to raise it in 'Technical' :thumbsup:

If the snakewood Wright models are finished better than the rosewood models, it's probably because the former cost several times as much. The knives have the same blades, and are made by the same people, in the same workshop, but they're all made to a price, and since the rosewood Lambsfoot knives are extremely inexpensive, I guess they can afford to spend less time on them than the more expensive knives. The rosewood Lambsfoot is sold in garden centres, agricultural supply shops, and hardware stores, and bought by people who want a good, inexpensive user, which will take a decent edge. I doubt those folks are too picky, and I'd be surprised if Wright's get many returns. I've only had one rosewood model (Charlie has it now), and I thought it was a very nice knife, the same with my ebony model, which didn't cost a great deal more. I've seen flaws on some of those knives in the past, (I think Wright's workmanship and QC has improved over the past few years), such as blade cant (a particular peeve of mine), or slightly off-centre blades, but then I've had knives from other manufacturers, which cost many times more, and came with submerged nail-nicks, blades I couldn't open, cracked covers, tools which weren't fit for purpose, blade-rub, and all sorts of other flaws I've not seen on any of my Wright's knives. They're certainly not perfect, but personally, I think they're a decent handmade traditional knife at a bargain price :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You're not alone in struggling with the new system my friend :) In terms of image hosting/posting, there are a lot of helpful threads in the Technical forum - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/ - and I'm sure that someone will be able to help you there. It's also a pretty good place to try test posts :thumbsup:

....ink Wright's workmanship and QC has improved over the past few years), such as blade cant (a particular peeve of mine), or slightly off-centre blades, but then I've had knives from other manufacturers, which cost many times more, and came with submerged nail-nicks, blades I couldn't open, cracked covers, tools which weren't fit for purpose, blade-rub, and all sorts of other flaws I've not seen on any of my Wright's knives. They're certainly not perfect, but personally, I think they're a decent handmade traditional knife at a bargain price :) :thumbsup:

it was definitely glitching before, cause I edited my post 4 times and then everything showed up on the 5th time. growing pains for the new system.

indeed! the two snakewood models were very stiff! almost nail breakers :eek: but a very satisfying snap. I do have another rosewood model coming, ebony and buffalo horn. but the more i look at the site, it seems only certain models come with the nonsway back handles. specifically the bone, and maybe the stag models. the rosewood is definitely a hair off center but it moves back, nothing to complain about tho as it is the more economical model. hope to see more of em before I decide on whats going in the pocket as a user, planning on some ironwood too

it was definitely glitching before, cause I edited my post 4 times and then everything showed up on the 5th time. growing pains for the new system.

indeed! the two snakewood models were very stiff! almost nail breakers :eek: but a very satisfying snap. I do have another rosewood model coming, ebony and buffalo horn. but the more i look at the site, it seems only certain models come with the nonsway back handles. specifically the bone, and maybe the stag models. the rosewood is definitely a hair off center but it moves back, nothing to complain about tho as it is the more economical model. hope to see more of em before I decide on whats going in the pocket as a user, planning on some ironwood too

Well feel free to edit some photos into those posts at some future point ;) :thumbsup:

Sheffield knives are generally made with strong springs and a stiff pull. The springs on the longer-bladed models are just as strong I think, but mine is easier to open because of the longer, more pinchable blade. Wright's do some models with straight handles, but as with other manufacturers, the Swayback models are the staple. Personally I much prefer them over a straight-handled Lambsfoot, and many of the other contributors to this thread have said the same :thumbsup: It sounds like you've definitely jumped in with both feet :) :thumbsup:

Well feel free to edit some photos into those posts at some future point ;) :thumbsup:
.... are the staple. Personally I much prefer them over a straight-handled Lambsfoot, and many of the other contributors to this thread have said the same :thumbsup: It sounds like you've definitely jumped in with both feet :) :thumbsup:

haha yes indeed! the rest did not arrive, and Im already looking to add more. When the dust is settled, and theyve all gotten here, id like to post a big group picture with all of em lined up. I was doing some measuring and some of the sites have different measurements, some say OAL 6.25 inches when the knife in my hand is 6.50inches, not a huge deal but to some that may matter.

haha yes indeed! the rest did not arrive, and Im already looking to add more. When the dust is settled, and theyve all gotten here, id like to post a big group picture with all of em lined up. I was doing some measuring and some of the sites have different measurements, some say OAL 6.25 inches when the knife in my hand is 6.50inches, not a huge deal but to some that may matter.

That'd be great to see, the more pics the better :) That's pretty sloppy about the measurements, I've seen a lot of mistakes on different UK dealer sites, many of them just do it part-time, and seem a bit ill-informed to say the least (though that's not to say the full-time dealers also don't make mistakes) :rolleyes:

That'd be great to see, the more pics the better :) That's pretty sloppy about the measurements, I've seen a lot of mistakes on different UK dealer sites, many of them just do it part-time, and seem a bit ill-informed to say the least (though that's not to say the full-time dealers also don't make mistakes) :rolleyes:

indeed, im almost hesitant to ask them what the blade steel is. one of the places ive visited has a care page, but since they are all A. Wrights I figure thats probably true for the rest of em, carbon steel

indeed, im almost hesitant to ask them what the blade steel is. one of the places ive visited has a care page, but since they are all A. Wrights I figure thats probably true for the rest of em, carbon steel

Yes, there's at least one UK dealer who doesn't know the difference between carbon and stainless :rolleyes:

Interesting about rosewood vs snakewood. I'd considered SW but the price point was too high, choosing the rosewood in the end. I wonder how much of the price differential is due to the cost of those two woods wholesale.

I experienced much the same with my AWS, a bit of grit in the joint, easily washed out. Otherwise very good, solid construction. In particular the pins are absolutely flush, something that often cannot be said for the much-coveted GEC brands. For me, this is one of the essential F&F points for a very good knife.

i do as well, as i have a few other types of wood on the list, theres teak and ironwood im looking into next!

Interesting about rosewood vs snakewood. I'd considered SW but the price point was too high, choosing the rosewood in the end. I wonder how much of the price differential is due to the cost of those two woods wholesale.

I experienced much the same with my AWS, a bit of grit in the joint, easily washed out. Otherwise very good, solid construction. In particular the pins are absolutely flush, something that often cannot be said for the much-coveted GEC brands. For me, this is one of the essential F&F points for a very good knife.

The snakewood and ironwood models seem very expensive compared to the rosewood, horn, and ebony models, though they do look nice :thumbsup:

When knives are made in Sheffield, the 'pins' are actually lengths of brass wire, they are snipped off close to the scale (cover), and then the scales and the wire are ground to shape together. It takes more skill, but makes for a better knife, and certainly a better finish in my opinion :thumbsup:

Does anyone have older examples of A. Wright Lambsfoot knives in their collection? Unless I've missed some, the only ones that I've seen shared here are of relatively recent vintage.

The firm has been around since 1947, though, and I wonder whether/how their interpretation of the pattern has changed over their history. I'm curious both about the shape and materials.

Back