Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Hey Jack, I just realised you DO have a PM function! :D :thumbsup:

I cant send them any more as im no longer a gold member, but I can still receive them and talk to people in my conversation box. (i think you are referring to me)

I just tried, but you can't receive them :(

I'd never considered that Will, I have central heating, and am inclined to whack it up a bit in the winter. I'll need to keep an eye on mine :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Hopefully you will get a 'fresher' example next time Dylan, and I'm sure the one you have will smooth out OK :)

Great pic of your Lambsfoot my friend :) I really like the tang stamp they are using now :thumbsup:

I agree, I think that horn has been stored badly. Others may even have been seconds sold on by an unscrupulous dealer :(

Thanks pal, that's a fantastic pic! :) :thumbsup:

I have one of those mad, crazy busy weeks, but I got back from my trip to Sheffield a few minutes ago, and quickly snapped these pics of some of my new acquisitions. Sorry for the terrible quality of the pics, I'll try to get some better ones soon. The snakewood is a second, but I got it at a bargain price. Sambar stag on two of the others, and one has the 'Real Lamb Foot' etch, which I'm very pleased about, even though it probably won't stay there long :thumbsup:

View attachment 758002

View attachment 758003

View attachment 758004

I passed on everyone's best wishes to John Maleham at Wright's, and we had a very productive discussion ;) :thumbsup:

What do folks think of this Super Duper Special Buffalo I got a peek at?

View attachment 758005

Great to hear that you had a good chat with Mr. Maleham, Jack, and thanks for passing on our regards.:)

Outstanding batch of Lambsfoots you picked up, there. That Sambar looks very well done, and not too thick, or wildly asymmetrical, either. Interesting to see one of them is a swayback - when you're not so busy, I'd be interested to hear how it compares in handling comfort, to my benchmark: the medium, 3" bladed ebony Lambsfoot. I bet that snakewood has some lovely chatoyance in the sunlight, too.
And that red-gold horn is also very fine, a captivating knife in any knives' company, to be sure.

Oh, that box of primo Buffalo horn looks just amazing. Beautiful, warm flickering, firelight patterning against the dark backgrounds. Very, very nice stuff.

In regards to my horn, it appears I just need to dive in and get it done, it sounds like I am being cautious unnecessarily. After all, it certainly isn't an expensive knife that I should worry about spoiling too much.

Dylan, I see now in your pic of your Lambsfoot trio, what you're saying about how proud the brass scales are. Given the inner scales and covers are ground flush, in the same finishing operations, it must have taken a long time for the covers to dry out that much. Possibly they were near a heating source, as well.

I'd probably try to get a bit of moisture in it first, to let it stabilise to the new environment, and also to fractionally tighten it up around the pins, before blending. Otherwise you may risk sanding everything flush, and having the covers potentially expand a little, again.

If you tape some fine sandpaper to a hard surface you'll find you can probably sand back the brass scales initially, without really touching the covers much.

A softer substrate like leather or a mousepad works great for finish blending.

Watch those peened pinheads too, it doesn't take much to loosen the mushroomed head a little bit. If they're way proud, maybe doming them lightly, might be preferable to sanding/stropping them flush.

And as long as you have a strop, or a bit of leather, and some compounds, and microcloth, you can't really go wrong. As Will said, you can bring it back to a high polish pretty quickly.:thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll have fun with it, and develop your own preferred techniques as well. I find doing a bit of refinishing, sharpening and edge thinning, and polishing on my new working knives to be quite an enjoyable process, myself...

... but it's even more exclusive. In fact, it's 'ours'! ;)

Waaaa!!??:eek:

Could it be?!...:);)

:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Jack Black Jack Black That sambar with the etch is the bee's knees!

36121276283_84aa2fb33b_b.jpg

Great to hear that you had a good chat with Mr. Maleham, Jack, and thanks for passing on our regards.:)

Outstanding batch of Lambsfoots you picked up, there. That Sambar looks very well done, and not too thick, or wildly asymmetrical, either. Interesting to see one of them is a swayback - when you're not so busy, I'd be interested to hear how it compares in handling comfort, to my benchmark: the medium, 3" bladed ebony Lambsfoot. I bet that snakewood has some lovely chatoyance in the sunlight, too.
And that red-gold horn is also very fine, a captivating knife in any knives' company, to be sure.

Oh, that box of primo Buffalo horn looks just amazing. Beautiful, warm flickering, firelight patterning against the dark backgrounds. Very, very nice stuff.

Dylan, I see now in your pic of your Lambsfoot trio, what you're saying about how proud the brass scales are. Given the inner scales and covers are ground flush, in the same finishing operations, it must have taken a long time for the covers to dry out that much. Possibly they were near a heating source, as well.

I'd probably try to get a bit of moisture in it first, to let it stabilise to the new environment, and also to fractionally tighten it up around the pins, before blending. Otherwise you may risk sanding everything flush, and having the scales potentially expand a little, again.

If you tape some fine sandpaper to a hard surface you'll find you can probably sand back the brass scales initially, without really touching the covers much.

A softer substrate like leather or a mousepad works great for finish blending.

Watch those peened pinheads too, it doesn't take much to loosen the mushroomed head a little bit. If they're way proud, maybe doming them lightly, might be preferable to sanding/stropping them flush.

And as long as you have a strop, or a bit of leather, and some compounds, and microcloth, you can't really go wrong. As Will said, you can bring it back to a high polish pretty quickly.:thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll have fun with it, and develop your own preferred techniques as well. I find doing a bit of refinishing, sharpening and edge thinning, and polishing on my new working knives to be quite an enjoyable process, myself...

Waaaa!!??:eek:

Could it be?!...:);)

:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

A pleasure my friend, I wish modern communications would reach Wright Towers a bit more frequently sometimes! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Thank you :) I was surprised to see the Sambar, and the knives are really nicely done. I bought all 4 of the ones they had! :D Apparently, they just had a few smaller pieces, so they could only fit them to the smallest size Lambsfoot (3 1/2"). Like yourself, I prefer the 'Medium' size, this is the same size as my Oxhorn, with a 2 1/2" blade (measured from the front of the tang), but still a very nice knife that I'm really pleased to have picked up.

I've not had the Snakewood out yet, unfortunately there was a small crack, which is why it was a second, and why I got it cheap.

I think Wright's current stock of the reddish horn has come to an end, so I bought what I could :thumbsup:

Hopefully the Primo will surpass anything seen so far :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black That sambar with the etch is the bee's knees!

36121276283_84aa2fb33b_b.jpg

Thanks my friend, very pleased with it :) That is a beautiful Lambsfoot though, and a great pic of it. I'd be interested to hear if folks prefer the rounded tipped Lambsfoots or the angular ones. Personally, I prefer the angular style :thumbsup:

Fabulous horn!

Thank you :) :thumbsup:

I agree, just wonder when they're going to put them into prod...:cool:

Still dreaming of Impala or Ram's Horn on an LF:D

Me too Will :) In time hopefully ;) Hopefully a small run will be available by Xmas :thumbsup:

Nice to see t'nippers have still got them cloth-caps about them:D:thumbsup: Some traditions never die...

Aye, s'reight :) :thumbsup:

Jack, congrats on your recent additions to your collection. Sounds like you had quite an enjoyable visit to the A. Wright works. Thanks for finding the time in your busy week for sharing photos. :thumbsup:

What do folks think of this Super Duper Special Buffalo I got a peek at?

Super duper stunning!

I'd be interested to hear if folks prefer the rounded tipped Lambsfoots or the angular ones. Personally, I prefer the angular style :thumbsup:

I prefer the angular style as well.

It's been a busy week for me as well, but my lambsfoot did get a bit of exercise helping out with chores in the garden over the weekend. The same is likely in store for this weekend; I'll try to remember to take some photos to share. (Chin, I also have a bunch of chilis to harvest. :))

Jack, congrats on your recent additions to your collection. Sounds like you had quite an enjoyable visit to the A. Wright works. Thanks for finding the time in your busy week for sharing photos. :thumbsup:

Super duper stunning!

I prefer the angular style as well.

It's been a busy week for me as well, but my lambsfoot did get a bit of exercise helping out with chores in the garden over the weekend. The same is likely in store for this weekend; I'll try to remember to take some photos to share. (Chin, I also have a bunch of chilis to harvest. :))

Thanks a lot Greg :) I hope you have a more relaxing weekend. I've just been breaking down some cardboard boxes, and cutting through a load of packaging tape with my new Lambsfoot. I must get some pics of the etch before I wreck it! :D :thumbsup:

Back