1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Well shucks, must be somthin' goin' around, 'cause I hafta go in Friday for day surgery to repair a recurrent hernia myself! Dad burn it all!!! I wish I was tougher instead of so damn good lookin'! ha

Oh well, I'll be dreamin' of lambs foots.....

[​IMG]

2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The current pace of this thread has me so befuddled that I didn't even realize I had a bunch of "old" quotes lined up for reply from at least a week ago. They showed up today when I thought I was responding to a bunch of more recent posts! :confused::rolleyes:

You nailed it, Dave. :) I hope you don't feel like you're packing and moving "tirelessly till eternity"! :eek:

Thanks for the kind words, Harvey. :) Quite an impressive flock of lambs you're shepherding these days! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome, Jack; hard to tell sometimes if I'm pushing the rock, or if it's pushing me! :rolleyes:
    Remarkable that an American lambsfoot is in the offing; congrats to Charlie @waynorth ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Your big ebony/ivory lambs must be playing in a major key! ;)

Thanks, José. :)

Thanks, Dave. :) As long as my name isn't GT Running Mouth. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement, John. I wonder if by nature and/or by upbringing I just have a tendency to avoid high-traffic situations, whether on the road or in forum threads. ;)

I appreciate your supportive words about my photographic efforts, Harvey, even though any good pics I take are more by accident than intent! ;) I've neither carved with an Opinel nor carved an Opinel handle, but I'd sometime like to try both of those. (Actually, I did use knife to reshape the handle of an Opinel to a cigar shape, but it wasn't really "carving".)

Thanks, Vince. :) BTW, my grocery store no longer carries Shiner Bock, but I did pick up some Sam Adams Boston Lager, and you didn't steer me wrong on that; good stuff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Jack, and for the cheese info. :)

Thanks, Dwight. The grass in my yard is finally turning green, the crocuses have come and gone, I saw a bunch of daffodils and hyacinths today, and most of the trees are budding, so I think spring may be here at last!
    Fantastic photo: "I saw the light!";)

Thanks for the greeting, FBC. :) Nice pic of your ironwood. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I know almost nothing about motorcycles, but I once shared an apartment with a guy who had a 1960s Honda Super Hawk (that he tore down completely for the winter and stored in cupboards, dressers, behind the couch, etc :eek:) and subscribed to biker magazines. I always like the Norton ads. ;)

Indeed I do enjoy that stag senator, Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup: That venerable lambsfoot of yours is a treasure! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Whoa, David, time travel speculation always gives me a headache! :D You've got quite an imagination! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the Man Jack compliment. :)

Thanks, Jack. :) Couple of fine photos! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats to you (and to all the Guardians who acquired one) for those lambsfoots with the incredibly posh pedicures (Damascus, filework, coining)!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What showpieces! :eek::cool::cool:

Thanks for your interesting remarks on the evolution of Wrights' use of stag, Jack. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for the Man Jack mentions, Ron & Dwight. :)

That's a superb photo, Dwight, and almost the pic I wanted to request from you. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: If you get a chance, could we see your AC and your Damascus stag together, but showing pile side of BOTH? IIRC from separate photos, those pile sides are quite similar, aren't they?

Really enjoyed the photos of your city, Senhor Pinto! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do "high velocity" trains come to your town? When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, I was very impressed that the train we took from Madrid to Valencia traveled at 300 kph!! :eek:

- GT

3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Here are the more recent posts to which I intended to respond. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Mark. :) You are on a real "hot streak" of splendid pics of your ironwood lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, and congrats on the news about a pair of sons coming your way!! :thumbsup::)

Thanks, Jack, and thanks for the pictorial posts on the Pace Egg plays with St. George and on the jousting tournament. Together they reminded me of a painting I saw at the US National Gallery of Art in Washington DC many years ago; I even bought a print of it in the gift shop.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George_and_the_Dragon_(Raphael)
    Did the knights use the same horses for both the melee and the jousting? I don't know much about horses, but I know what I like, and that Polish horse was a champion charger, a majestic mount, a stupendous steed, a breathtaking beast!!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Preston. :) The sunshine really enhances the looks of my Valley Jack!

Dennis, your remarks to Mike are spot-on; well-said! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)
    Nice patina! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Actually used my Valley Jack for the first time this morning. Cut up some apple, banana, clementine, grapes, and hot peppers for my oatmeal. No new pics, though. Here's an old one:
    IJ.mark.closed.on.tin.LR.jpg

- GT

peanutsxx, TFBraden, donn and 11 others like this.
  4. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good to hear, Gary. Picked up a 12-pack myself the other day. :thumbsup:

cigarrodog, dc50 and tmd_87 like this.
  5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good looking ironwood. Think I'll tote mine tomorrow!

cigarrodog and dc50 like this.
  6. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Ole reliable today.
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, donn and 14 others like this.
  7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Yikes! :eek: Thank you OG, yeah, I found that! :eek: :D Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Blimey, hope your op goes OK Barry :thumbsup: My buddy @ADEE has only just had a hernia op too. Sweet dreams thinking of lambsfootzzz ;) :thumbsup:

I have always been fascinated by time travel GT, sadly your posts are probably the nearest thing I'll get to it! :p :D :thumbsup: Thanks for all your kind words my friend :) That seems very fast for a Spanish train GT ;) I have never been on the high-velocity train, but I used to go on the TALGO regularly, and while it had a pleasant dining car, I found it only moderately paced, particularly compared to the French TGV. Here it can take 100 minutes to get from Sheffield to Leeds by train though, a distance of just over 40 miles o_O Maybe that's actually the nearest I'll get to time travel! o_O ;) :D :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    peanutsxx, TFBraden, donn and 5 others like this.
  8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Very nicely photographed Dave :) :thumbsup:

9. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Today with the youngest of the herd, in Buffalo horn!:cool::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

10. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks Jack. Great knife.

Jack Black, dc50 and cigarrodog like this.
  11. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Very grateful Gary, no, we in Portugal still do not have high-speed trains, it's also a small country and I do not think it's necessary.:):thumbsup:

donn, Jack Black, Fodderwing and 3 others like this.
  12. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks GT. Yes they are similar in color and stag. Here's a pile side shot of em.
    IMG_1588.jpeg

Beautiful ironwood.

Very nice pic Dave.

@gunstockjack Barry I hope your surgery goes well Friday and recovery is swift.

13. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Better you than me.
    Ych y fie.
    A theater for pay-per-view? You were lucky!

14. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Thanking you all for the likes and comments on my Damascus Lambsfoot. Keep looking closely at the Damascus, those patterns can be so mesmerizing.

Russell

15. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    After a couple of busy day and another on for tomorrow, I know I'll not get caught up in this thread. I'll just solider on from here...
    Jack, sorry about your back and the pain you're experiencing. The jousting pictures and commentary was superb and very entertaining as well as enlightening. Thank you for doing such a great job.

I have been going through the Guardian's posts of the past few days. What great pictures, each one worthy of a calendar page. Such a pleasure to view and read. Kudos to you all.
    Have a terrific Thursday.
    [​IMG]

16. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Twin Beauties.

@gunstockjack - Barry, my wish for you is that the repair surgery goes smoothly and that you heal quickly.

@pjsjr Sweet looking Snakewood.

pjsjr, Jack Black, OLd_gUY and 3 others like this.
  17. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Harvey. :)

cigarrodog likes this.
  18. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Thanks for the well wishes guys!

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 14 others like this.
  19. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Couldn't have done it without ya, my friend.

Thanks, Dwight

I think @Jack Black and I might be brothers from another mother. :D

Always good to see you around, GT.
    Motorcycles in the house?:eek: Reminds me of my childhood.
    Seriously, it was not unusual to have Harley parts laying all around and a bike parked in the living room.

20. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Good luck! Hope all goes well!

OLd_gUY and cigarrodog like this.