Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning, Guardians!
j1e9ov5.jpg

Stag rules.

If anyone can suggest how to reduce the Guardians Signature, it would greatly be appreciated. I simply forgot how to do it. Thank you.

All steel construction= perfect! Thanks very much for the compliments, sir!:thumbsup: I want to express my gratitude for your response to every post. Really makes everyone feel included and quite a feat, I might add, in this fast moving thread. I am not sure how you do it, but, thank you.:)

I am confident it will be fantastic. Nothing to worry about, my friend.:)

Thanks a lot guys :) It's going to take me a while to catch up today, took me 40 minutes just read all the posts! :eek: Morning Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, fishing is so great, it has something for everyone. The fly shops around the Denver metro area have been giving classes for years. With the population exploding and so many people wanting to fish they have resorted to making it a big deal to catch carp on flies. The South Platte flows through a good portion of the metro area and there are groups being 'guided' along the river's banks casting for carp. I smile and remember the old story of how to fix carp...take a white pine board, put carp and spices/onion/butter/wine on board. Bake for twenty minutes or until done. Throw away the carp and eat the board.:eek::D:eek:

LOL! I never heard of anyone catching carp with a fly! :D During the Depression of the 1920's, my granddad had eaten just about every fish there was, even ones that are generally considered inedible. He'd eaten a lot of other stuff too! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

I liken it to hunting for fish. It's more active and you have to be stealthy.

My heart just sank...

Well said. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Yes, it's an exciting feeling when you see trout see your fly :)

:( :thumbsup:

I can't wait until we hit 1,000 pages...

Nice to see you're getting some patina John :) :thumbsup:

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is famous, hard to get to and fish effectively. Big trout!
Here are the two rods, his creel and Rosie. We would grab hand fulls of grass at the river's edge and put it and the trout in the creel. Kept the trout cool all day...I can still smell that smell:thumbsup:
DSC_0307%5B1%5D.JPG

Wow Preston, what a great post :) Love that old wicker creel :) :thumbsup:

Being insanely behind on this thread, I read a few pages to catch up and come to the most current. But there’s nearly a month I missed.

These two Lambsfoot knives are two of my main daily carries. I saw that post with the old Graflex and I had to participate.

E0230x6.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well lately. I hope to be caught up (relatively) soon.

Joe

Get catching up Joe! :D Fantastic pic :) :thumbsup:

My Dad's Kodak, my Grandfather's steelhead rod, my neighbors windmill - but it's MY Lambsfoot ;)
View attachment 1119283
OG

Another great photo OG :) :thumbsup:

I'm loving all the Lambsfoot knives and bamboo rods. I need to get me a bamboo rod some day, maybe when I win the lottery.

When I was a kid (50 years ago), they used to differentiate between 'split-cane' and ''built-cane' rods, is that still the case? The latter are the hexagonal type, made from sections of cane split and re-built for a sweeter action. No wonder they are expensive :thumbsup:

I'm a Catch and Release guy myself, but I know exactly what you mean. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I don't have any fancy bamboo rods, but I can't wait to take my favorite fly pattern and my favorite knife up to the Sierra Mountains :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Years ago here, it was the fibre-glass and carbon-fibre rods which were expensive! :D Happy fishing John :)

Always wanted to learn how to use a fly fishing setup but get by ok with my little spinning reels. I'll catch and release, if appropriate, but when I'm up there backpacking overnight at least a few of them will surely end up in "ma belly" :)

My first reel was an old wooden 'centre-pin', they were a little old-fashioned, even 50years ago, but you still saw them :) I used to do a lot of spinning for pike, it was considered quite 'exotic' here then! :D :thumbsup:

The new shoots are easy to cut while they're still green, but in a few days they harden and lopping shears are really the best tool for the job. I've used a machete just because it's fun to have an excuse to swing a machete! :D But I had the lambsfoot in my pocket, and only meant to cut down a few shoots that were spreading to the side of the yard. Then I cut a few more and saw a cool photo opportunity. ;) I'm pretty easy on my knives, but I knew the Lambsfoot could stand up to harder work. Just like I knew the handle is comfortable, but this is the first time I found myself really appreciating the ergonomics. :thumbsup:

Great stuff Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Can't beat the Sierras in the spring - right @tmd_87 ?
We have a trip to Flaming Gorge (Kokanee heaven) planned at the end of June :cool:
After looking at all these pics of flies, I thought I'd throw in a hasty pic of a Marlin lure that used to do pretty good for me (400# test, 12/0 stainless hooks) - please excuse the shadow on the knife blade
View attachment 1119313

That's a beast OG, you must have had some monster fish with it :) Nice pic :thumbsup:

I went fly fishing once, I caught a couple good size boulders and the biggest tree that you have ever done seen! Funny everything I caught was behind me.....maybe I should have put the river to my back and I might have done better. :D

47672523222_1b956f8c94_h.jpg

LOL! :D I knew a guy years ago who hooked his wife in the ear while casting! :eek: :D That's a great pic mate :thumbsup:

Fantastic DWight :) :thumbsup:

LOL. The last time I used my Grandfather's rod, I kept hearing dink...dink...dink behind me while casting. Finally turned around and saw a garbage can next to a picnic table :rolleyes:
My first fish
firstfish.jpg
View attachment 1119332

LOL! Cool pics :cool: Your dad was a good photographer OG :) I once asked my mother to take a pic of a decent fish I had caught, all I wanted was the fish in my hands, I ended up with the fish, me, the river-bank, the nearest town, and a couple of neighbouring counties! :rolleyes :D

Yeah, I knew someone was going to say something about it sooner or later :D I'm pretty sure that's my Grandfather's '39 Chrysler.
The pic was taken in the early 50's, maybe late 40's, by my Dad with the camera I posted earlier.

:cool: :thumbsup:

I tried picking up fly fishing in college just didn't have time to invest in it. I'm a generational spin fisherman...maybe one day. Lots of panther Martin's in the streams and rivers when trout fishin. Lots of worms and trolling in the lakes when trout fishing.

Nothing wrong with that Taylor, here fly-fishing was always for the rich folks, a little less so now thankfully, but the whole style of fishing has changed here since I was a kid. I picked up a fishing magazine a few years back, and I barely understood what was in it, the French system of fishing with long poles is apparently very prominent here now :confused:

Dang, I shoulda took a pic of that tree, it was HUGE! :D

Seriously, very cool pic. It is nice to have those kind of memories documented with a picture.
A friend told be to mark a circle in the grass and practice hitting that.
I was going to go down to the park and practice casting but I was afraid that I might catch a small child.:eek:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Some lamb content before Jack gets grumpy... :rolleyes:View attachment 1119325

Thanks Dwight! :D That's a good one, as always, my friend :) :thumbsup:

Another Lambsfoot picture for Jack to wake up to. Good Morning Jack :)

Thanks John, that's a treat :) :thumbsup:

I hope everyone is well.

I've been away for most of the week, experiencing the great outdoors, good friends, and lots of knives.

I took this pic before I set out and forgot to post it.

ybftAEB.jpg

Great to see you here Dylan, sounds like you have been 'gainfully employed' :) Beautiful photo of your '17 my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians!
j1e9ov5.jpg

Stag rules.

Looking good Vince :) :thumbsup:

I don't have any vintage fishing tackle to show I'm afraid, even the stuff I made, all stolen years ago :( I do have a hat though! :D :) :thumbsup:

KyTpUX8.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and that your week goes well :) :thumbsup:

LOL! I never heard of anyone catching carp with a fly! :D During the Depression of the 1920's, my granddad had eaten just about every fish there was, even ones that are generally considered inedible. He'd eaten a lot of other stuff too! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Yes, it's an exciting feeling when you see trout see your fly :)

:( :thumbsup:

Get catching up Joe! :D Fantastic pic :) :thumbsup:

Another great photo OG :) :thumbsup:

When I was a kid (50 years ago), they used to differentiate between 'split-cane' and ''built-cane' rods, is that still the case? The latter are the hexagonal type, made from sections of cane split and re-built for a sweeter action. No wonder they are expensive :thumbsup:

Years ago here, it was the fibre-glass and carbon-fibre rods which were expensive! :D Happy fishing John :)

My first reel was an old wooden 'centre-pin', they were a little old-fashioned, even 50years ago, but you still saw them :) I used to do a lot of spinning for pike, it was considered quite 'exotic' here then! :D :thumbsup:

Great stuff Rachel :) :thumbsup:

That's a beast OG, you must have had some monster fish with it :) Nice pic :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I knew a guy years ago who hooked his wife in the ear while casting! :eek: :D That's a great pic mate :thumbsup:

Fantastic DWight :) :thumbsup:

LOL! Cool pics :cool: Your dad was a good photographer OG :) I once asked my mother to take a pic of a decent fish I had caught, all I wanted was the fish in my hands, I ended up with the fish, me, the river-bank, the nearest town, and a couple of neighbouring counties! :rolleyes :D

:cool: :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that Taylor, here fly-fishing was always for the rich folks, a little less so now thankfully, but the whole style of fishing has changed here since I was a kid. I picked up a fishing magazine a few years back, and I barely understood what was in it, the French system of fishing with long poles is apparently very prominent here now :confused:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight! :D That's a good one, as always, my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks John, that's a treat :) :thumbsup:

Great to see you here Dylan, sounds like you have been 'gainfully employed' :) Beautiful photo of your '17 my friend :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Vince :) :thumbsup:

I don't have any vintage fishing tackle to show I'm afraid, even the stuff I made, all stolen years ago :( I do have a hat though! :D :) :thumbsup:

KyTpUX8.jpg

Thank you for the kind words, Jack. Much appreciated.
Well, I'm off to bed. I was trying to make it 'til page #1000 was posted so I could offer congrats at the opportune time, but no way :oops:
I'm sure that milestone will be reached while I'm off in la-la land and I'm anxious to see it. :thumbsup: :)
OG

Thank you for the kind words, Jack. Much appreciated.
Well, I'm off to bed. I was trying to make it 'til page #1000 was posted so I could offer congrats at the opportune time, but no way :oops:
I'm sure that milestone will be reached while I'm off in la-la land and I'm anxious to see it. :thumbsup: :)
OG

Goodnight OG, hopefully you'll still get your page 1000 post in :) :thumbsup:

Good Man! This image really shows off the figuring(is that even a word?:)) of the wood.
Thank you very much :)

Oh ya, the patina builds up quickly... and then I Flitz it off ;)

I don't really know. The price of bamboo rods has always kept me from investigating them.

That's the way of the world.
Years ago, cheap cars had black trim and black wheels, while the expensive cars had lots of chrome. Nowadays, it's the other way around.

Just a great shot of that '19 Guardian's Lambsfoot
Thank you Preston.

Nice image of your D Lamb with some great lighting, Dwight.
Thank you Harvey.

I hope everyone is well.

I've been away for most of the week, experiencing the great outdoors, good friends, and lots of knives.

I took this pic before I set out and forgot to post it.

ybftAEB.jpg
Beautiful shot Dylan. Good grief that horn is amazing!

Fantastic DWight

Thanks Dwight! :D That's a good one, as always, my friend
Thank you Jack.

Prester John Prester John and Ramrodmb Ramrodmb lovely lamb compositions guys.

Have a great week Guardians.
IMG_1778.jpeg

I can believe that when you are hungry, and have no money you would eat almost anything to ease the pain.

Being an old fart and a pack rat, I have many old things! I have tried over the years to cull the belongings and now have just what I deem personally needed and cherished. That creel is one of the cherished:thumbsup::thumbsup:

KyTpUX8.jpg

Great hat to have, especially with those two Lambsfoot...they would definitely be in the Orvis realm of things.
Hopefully, page 1000 will be 20 posts of Lambfoot photos! Wouldn't that be cool?!
Hope you had a great weekend, Jack and all the Guardians. Here's to hoping Friday rolls around asap.
That would be great, maybe we all can make that happen. Nice detailed photo of your '19 Guardian's Lambsfoot, Mark.

Good Morning Guardians
Seems you get sharp focus knives and blurry backgrounds, or in this case... the other way around :D
IMG-3324.jpg
John, I think it depends on the focus setting of your camera. Most have a square or series of lines and dots in the foregound...like a scope's reticle, that you can manipulate by moving the camera to get the closer object in focus or a distant one. On my iPhone I can just touch where I want the focus to be...on my DSLR not so easy, haven't really figured it out. Maybe someone with more knowledge of photography can explain it to us.
Great detail in that photo JP:thumbsup:

Monday morning and on our way to 1000 pages...should be a cakewalk!
I have always loved fishing and fished to catch fish. Different times of the year and in different areas certain methods work better than others so Im prepared to 'tackle' whatever Mother Nature throws at me. Spinning gear has yielded fish when flies failed.
DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0252.JPG

John, I think it depends on the focus setting of your camera. Most have a square or series of lines and dots in the foregound...like a scope's reticle, that you can manipulate by moving the camera to get the closer object in focus or a distant one. On my iPhone I can just touch where I want the focus to be...on my DSLR not so easy, haven't really figured it out. Maybe someone with more knowledge of photography can explain it to us.
Thank you, I will experiment more. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Back