Guns in the woods?

Howdy Folks
I'm just wondering what if any firearms you all carry when woods walking.
I've seen some pictures around here of a fellow who takes some kind of an AR-15 variant in the woods. I'm not sure if he was hunting or just wandering. I think for me a long gun might be a little bit too inconvenient.
If I'm not going into the woods for shooting, I will generally carry a stainless .357 S&W model 60 in my front pocket. Mostly just because I'm one of those guys who always carries a pistol.

Pics are appreciated.

For bumming around in the woods, I have pretty much settled on a Smith & Wesson Model 63 revolver. .22 LR has been 'enough gun' for me these past 50 years or so.
SmithModel63withT-Grip.jpg

Remington 870 during shotgun season, Knight .50 muzzleloader during black powder season. When im just going for a walk to check the deer cameras or just looking for deer sign usually no gun, just whatever folder i have and my kabar.

I always carry period!For the woods it is my Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 casull or my Super Blackhawks in 44 mag. for the concrete jungle I carry a Glock 22 or 23 or my Springfield 1911.

I just got this, used, stripped, and cheap, but it's for woods walking...I've got a Triple K woodsman holster coming this week as well.
IMG_0232.jpg

usually carry my .45 for woods bummin, mostly cause its so flat, hardly know its there. If its hunting season, my Ruger .357 in stainless

S&W airweight at 12.5 ozs shoots 38's or 357mag. Rat shot is the first shot to slow down snakes. Keep it in my hunting pack in a bag that doubles as a fannypack. (pick up a 3 pack at Lowes for $12.00) It will actually fit into my Tomars Wilderness sheath for the bacon maker. I have yet to carry it in that fashion though.

I do like that rat shot for snakes. You can generally get away with not killing a snake when you com upon one, but it's nice to have the option to kill one from a short distance.

I haven't shot that snake/rat shot, is it like bird shot? I have used something in the .22LR that has some small shot inside a clear plastic "bullet", but that seems pretty weak. The .22 LR snake shot just bounced off a metal can, but was penetrated by a BB gun.
Does the rat shot have enough power to kill a snake, or just piss it off? Is this ammo stronger depending on caliber? .22LR vs. .38/.357?

Sometimes this when I bumming around the farm, used to take care of destructive ground hogs
1310870076.jpg

-sh00ter

It's the same as the shot in the .22 you used. I believe it's #12 shot. I would imagine that it would fly faster with more powder behind it. I've used the .22 shot shells out of a rifle with a 24" barrel and it didn't penetrate 1/4" plywood at 5 feet. The "group" was about 3 feet across too.
An old guy that I know shoots snakes with the .38 caliber rat shot shells and he really likes them. Apparently you have to hit them in the head though. And this guy LOVED to kill snakes (it was a little weird). But considering the number of dogs and grand kids he has running around his property I don't blame him for killing every rattler that he sees. His wife prefers a shovel or a 12 gauge though.

I take any chance I get to carry the Springfield 1911 GI, so that's always on my side in the woods.

The rat shot is pretty weak. I normally don't use it on snakes unless they are near a deer blind or around the barn. I've tried the peaceful run them off approach. Doesn't work, once they find a food source with the mice in the barn, they come back. So if they are near people then I take them out. I have found you have to be with a few feet of them and aim for the head. Normally takes 2 shots on a 3ft rattler so my first 2 shots are always rat shot. The other reason I carry the first two as rat shot is if I have to use it as self defense. I know everyone is saying hollow points and aim center mass. Fact is 99.9% of the people in this situation will have the shakes and not hit a thing with the short barrel. I want to draw blood not matter what, I may only hit you in the face, bllind you, etc., but you will bleed and by then the adrenilan rush will allow me to properly aim for center mass. Just my two cents. Keep a 410 in the house for the same reason. Tell the wife - aim at them pull the trigger then run........ she doesn;t need to kill them, just buy me or the cops enough time to finish the job.

Woods Walker - how is the trigger on the Bond Arms? That is on my wish list and I am trying to prioritize. Can it be polished out?

Woods Walker - how is the trigger on the Bond Arms? That is on my wish list and I am trying to prioritize. Can it be polished out?

For what the gun is the trigger seems fine for my needs so never messed with it. The gun is well made but heavy however it is shooting .45/.410 so the weight feels right.

If I'm hiking in an area where large animals may be a problem. I carry a Glock 20 10mm.

Back