Guns in the woods?

The Ruger is a fantastic woods gun! I've carried the GP100 .357 quite a bit, and only had the privilege of shooting the SP101 a couple of times.

Picked this up a while ago at a local gun show. 6" ruger single six .22LR and .22mag cylinders, it's a squirrels worst nightmare. I just got a nice crossdraw holster for it to.

singlesix.jpg

G17 for hiking as need would be rabid animal or 2 legged problem. If working fence in a rough area- 870 on the ATV.

Hunting- mostly just small game now- so 10/22 Stainless carbine.

Bill

Either my Colt LW Commander .45 acp, Colt Cobra .38 Spl, or Walther P22, depending on where I am. Anywhere that I don't feel safe with one of those three, I don't go.

i am really wanting a .357 SW that is well used but good condition and at a good price. those are hard to find.

hungsolo,
Ask your local shop to be on the lookout for older police/security trade ins. They are scarcer now but I used to get 4" model 66's and 19's used for decent price.

For a .22, I love the Ruger Single Six. I have a stainless one with a 4.5"-ish barrel which has done me very well. I carry hi-speeds in it, and pocket a few shotshells, CB caps, and extra hi-speeds in case I need them.

If I feel like I need more, like if the bears are moving in our area, or if there has been a recent prison break, I'll carry a .357 or a .45 ACP.

Colt Delta Elite or Glock 20 - 10mm will take care of most 2 or 4 legged critters where I go

Locally, we are restricted to a .22LR when it's not deer season, so a Single Six is my usual companion. During deer season, I like the 6.5 in. Blackhawk in .41 mag. My usual target of opportunity is the nutria. Doesn't take a huge round. With the .41 mag, I can just put the sights on him and it will connect. With the .45 Colt, .44 mag or .44 special, all of which I love, you have to compensate for trajectory. It takes a lot of shooting for me to stay in practice, how much to raise or lower the front sight for a given distance. Short distances, it doesn't matter -- say, up to about 25 yards. Beyond that, the .41 mag is the nazz. During hunting season, I'm usually carrying a .22 Savage boltie for squirrel hunting. But if a deer presented itself, the .41 mag would be fine out to about 100 yds, and is plenty for our smallish white tails.

i am really wanting a .357 SW that is well used but good condition and at a good price. those are hard to find.

I got my S&W 586 4" real cheap, $275, but the finish has been stripped off. That gun works great, but the lack of great looks was the trade off. I don't mind for it's intended use, and getting my feet wet with the .357 magnum. I love that I have plenty of choices of rounds to use, as far a power. The .38 specials are so easy to shoot, not much recoil there.
For $513 I can get a Ruger Gp-100 3", brand new. Not so great for hunting at distance, but personal defense that would be a great .357 mag to carry around in the woods.

We have bears in my neck of the woods, but encountering them is so incredibly rare. I am far more wary of the nasty 2 legged critter in the woods, so I carry either my Glock 26 or my recently aquired SW642.

I've only got a single handgun, so that - surprise! - is what's on my hip out in the boonies. Where I'm at usually, two-legged varmints post a much bigger realistic threat than an angry black bear, so I'm quite comfortable with the CZ P-01. But that's just me.

for me usually I carry either a ruger GP100 .357 or a ruger sp101 .357. both loaded with 180grn hard cast lead.

for me usually I carry either a ruger GP100 .357 or a ruger sp101 .357. both loaded with 180grn hard cast lead.

Although I most often pack my Glock 23, I carry the 200gr. Double-Tap hard cast rounds...pretty potent loads with great penetration. My biggest non-two-legged threats are bear and wild pigs...bear are less common, but our area is a common "migration" route for blackbear. The wild pigs are more destructive to property, but can get aggressive; I've run into a lot of sign, but no face to face encounters.

ROCK6

When I on established trails, I carry a S&W 638 Bodyguard Airweight, loaded w ,38 spl +P 135gr Short Barrel Hornadys (This is also my EDC, tho' I will sub a Spydie Para for the ZT.)

IMG_2233.jpg

When in the deep woods, hunting or camping I carry something bigger.

IMG_2090.jpg

...a Springfield XD45 Compact w/ Xtended 13 rnd. Mags. (and bigger knives!:eek:)

What is the small fixed blade in the first pic? Looks like a dandy EDC with some defensive capabilities!

I typically carry a 22LR. Sometimes it's a Ruger Mark II with the 5.5" bull barrel or a Smith Model 18. I like the newish Smith M63, but I don't have a good holster for it yet. In the past, it was almost always a 4" Colt Diamondback 22.

If I am worried or nervous about protection, I will usually tote a 4" Smith M57 (41 mag). I'm generally not concerned about personal protection in the woods and a 22LR will usually do me just fine.

I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt loaded with 325gr HC Buffalo Bore ammo. Im probably overgunned for black bear and definitely cougar but id rather have to much gun.

Back