Guns in the woods?

I carry most of the time. Theres a lot of Meth cooks up here. Ive come across their remains twice. These are my two handguns.

2008-04-08009.jpg

I'm also one of those guys who always carries a pistol. Regardless if I'm hunting or wandering I always have a pistol. When I'm in the woods it's either a Ruger .357 mag or a Glock 20 10mm. The 10mm is one nasty round....

barkg.jpg

Dang my medium sized hands. I was really looking at getting a glock in 10mm but the grip is just a little bit too big for me to comfortably reach all the controls without shifting my grip.

I have medium sized hands as well, I put a extended mag release on it for like $7 off of eBay only takes a minute to put on and it fits perfect now. That was my only problem was having to switch my grip to drop the mag but not anymore! You can install it yourself in a matter of minutes, well worth it!

Dang my medium sized hands. I was really looking at getting a glock in 10mm but the grip is just a little bit too big for me to comfortably reach all the controls without shifting my grip.

I know what you mean. My Star model 30MI has a high capacity magazine, and a thick handle. I have large palms, but medium length fingers. It's difficult when I have to shift my grip just to release the mag, move the safety, or release the slide. Over time I've gotten better and faster, but I inherited this gun, not really the pistol I would have chosen for my hand. Hopefully, I'll never need more than 15 rounds in a hurry. I'd be better off with a more slender auto, 1911, for use and concealment.

Chris have you held a G20 SF? It has a shorter frame, designed with smaller hands who are not comfortable with the regular model.

GLOCK adapts its new "SF" (short frame) design to the powerful 10mm AUTO cartridge. The large-frame GLOCK 20SF has a more comfortable frame, controllability and practical accuracy are enchanced, without any loss in power. The GLOCK 20SF has the new and improved trigger position. The large frame G20SF provides maximum sight radius and can accept the optional 6-inch 10mm AUTO barrel for absolute power and long range precision.

Traditionally I have always carried magnum revolvers. I still have a 41.mag blackhawk that is a neat gun.

This summer I traded my G21 in on a new G20 that I expect to take over most woods dutys from now on.

BK9Glock1B.jpg

If I'm not really hunting, then I typically have along a Model 19 full of .38s or a bargain basement 1911 full of WWB or indifferently feeding cast lead SWC reloads.

When feeling slightly more serious, I usually carry a primitive Nagant (my favorite) or a No. 4 Enfield. With a pair of bumptious labs, my days of walking around with a fragile .22 Hornet seem behind me.

Chris have you held a G20 SF? It has a shorter frame, designed with smaller hands who are not comfortable with the regular model.

GLOCK adapts its new "SF" (short frame) design to the powerful 10mm AUTO cartridge. The large-frame GLOCK 20SF has a more comfortable frame, controllability and practical accuracy are enchanced, without any loss in power. The GLOCK 20SF has the new and improved trigger position. The large frame G20SF provides maximum sight radius and can accept the optional 6-inch 10mm AUTO barrel for absolute power and long range precision.

Traditionally I have always carried magnum revolvers. I still have a 41.mag blackhawk that is a neat gun.

This summer I traded my G21 in on a new G20 that I expect to take over most woods dutys from now on.

BK9Glock1B.jpg

That's great news. I'm going to have to check these out. Thanks for the heads up.

Since everyone else is showing off...:D

My hunting knife (Benchmade Fixed Griptilian) and CZ-75B Compact 40S&W. I typically carry it without the Surefire on it, but still had it on when I took this pic.
IMG_4849.jpg

Ka-Bar 1221 and Sprinfield 1911 GI. Honestly, the Benchmade and 1911 have seen more time in the woods together, but I haven't made them pose together, as of yet.
IMG_4819.jpg

I'm starting to think that I need a flashlight on my pistol. Seems like it would come in handy. Now I'm gonna have to buy a pistol with a rail on it.

^ I love the 75 b Compact I have one in 9mm

It's been a great gun. The only frustration I've had with it is the one bad magazine I got, but other than that, it's been flawless. Every time I go out shooting with friends, I get an offer on it, but it's not being sold.

I hear ya, it's one of my favorite around town carry pistols, here's mine in 9mm. It's actually a 75D compact but very similar to your 75B. I believe the only difference between the two is the decocker on mine instead of the manual safety like yours.

53801644.jpg

i always have a pistol on me in the woods. mostly for the 2 legged critters but it's good. i will often carry my kahr pm9 or my kel tek pmr-30. they are both extremely light weight and will do the job if needed.

here is the pmr-30 and it's super light all while holding 30 rounds. it's a amazing trail gun and 22 mag is a nice little round

DSCN1446.jpg

Last edited:
When I on established trails, I carry a S&W 638 Bodyguard Airweight, loaded w ,38 spl +P 135gr Short Barrel Hornadys (This is also my EDC, tho' I will sub a Spydie Para for the ZT.)

IMG_2233.jpg

When in the deep woods, hunting or camping I carry something bigger.

IMG_2090.jpg

...a Springfield XD45 Compact w/ Xtended 13 rnd. Mags. (and bigger knives!:eek:)

If I feel like packing a wheel gun...I grab my S&W 696.

Autoloaders...I like my Ed Brown or my Dan Wesson CBOB .45... or the Dan Wesson RZ-10. :cool:

this is my go to a ruger .22 and one of the first knives I made a 4" fix blade out of 1095. both are wearing bloodwood

Man, some beautiful pieces!!! I have three specific choices for my outdoors/woodsbumming:

Glock 23 in .40S&W (most often carried)
Charter Arms .44 SPL Bulldog (great snake-shot rounds!)
S&W 317, 3" barrel .22LR

A firearm is just another part of my kit.

ROCK6

Back