• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hand Engraving by Sarah Ladd - Fine art engraving, pure gold inlay, diamond setting

Beautiful work. Should I ever have the need, I will be sure to look you up.

Are you a Minnesotan too? This place needs all the help it can get with its image. *shifts eyes*
Rochester, the one county in Minnesota with zero of our 10,000 natural lakes. You must not be a native, though, all the women here are strong, the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. Everyone tells me so.

Rochester, the one county in Minnesota with zero of our 10,000 natural lakes. You must not be a native, though, all the women here are strong, the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. Everyone tells me so.
I am not. I was raised in Mason City Iowa. I will never go back. It is a terrible place. :)

Oh no. :( I think this knife isn't what I bought. Product inside does not match label on box. I ordered a steel knife, but this is resisting my cutting tools like titanium. I think these scales are titanium scales. Drat. :( I guess I get to shelf Cleopatra and find another knife to put her on.

Oh no. :( I think this knife isn't what I bought. Product inside does not match label on box. I ordered a steel knife, but this is resisting my cutting tools like titanium. I think these scales are titanium scales. Drat. :( I guess I get to shelf Cleopatra and find another knife to put her on.
A magnet can confirm your suspicions.

It's magnetic. I wonder why it cuts like butt.
Titanium is ruled out. If it is steel and is attracted to a magnet, it exhibits Ferromagnetism. If it picks up carpet tacks, it’s magnetic. If a file won’t touch it, it might be hardened. If it is hardened, it can be annealed to soften it.
If it is a 300 series stainless steel (with added Nickel), it cannot be annealed, although 300 series stainless is not very strongly attracted to a magnet.
A testing liquid of Copper Sulfate crystals dissolved in a 6% Sulfuric acid and water solution will differentiate steel from stainless. The steel will turn Copper colored, the SS will not.

Love the lake wobegone reference!

I'm very excited for when you get to the point of engraving titanium successfully, though.

I'm very excited for when you get to the point of engraving titanium successfully, though.
I am going to resist this like a 4 year old resisting peas.
Titanium is ruled out. If it is steel and is attracted to a magnet, it exhibits Ferromagnetism. If it picks up carpet tacks, it’s magnetic. If a file won’t touch it, it might be hardened. If it is hardened, it can be annealed to soften it.
If it is a 300 series stainless steel (with added Nickel), it cannot be annealed, although 300 series stainless is not very strongly attracted to a magnet.
A testing liquid of Copper Sulfate crystals dissolved in a 6% Sulfuric acid and water solution will differentiate steel from stainless. The steel will turn Copper colored, the SS will not.
I bought it from Boker. Is there anything on this page that would tell me more without skipping straight to science? Not that I don't like science. This sounds like fun. Also very informative. Thanks!

COME TO THE DARK SIDE, SARAH. ALL THE COOL KIDS HAVE TITANIUM KNIVES. I NEED YOU TO TAKE A WHACK AT A SEBENZA.

That should be stainless steel handles, but I mean, who knows what they did with it in terms of it being hardened or annealed or what kind of stainless it is.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE, SARAH. ALL THE COOL KIDS HAVE TITANIUM KNIVES. I NEED YOU TO TAKE A WHACK AT A SEBENZA.

That should be stainless steel handles, but I mean, who knows what they did with it in terms of it being hardened or annealed or what kind of stainless it is.
GRUMBLE

Yeah I duno what it is but I hate it so I'm throwin' it.

I bought it from Boker. Is there anything on this page that would tell me more without skipping straight to science? Not that I don't like science. This sounds like fun. Also very informative. Thanks!
The spec sheet says the handle is SS. It is probably a low 400 series like 410 which is low Carbon but has about 12% Chrome. The Chrome is probably the culprit that is adding wear resistance. The low Carbon, about 0.10%, means it can’t be heat treated to a meaningful hardness. So annealing won’t help.

Last edited:
Are you going to put some of these for sale as a placeholder for the real thing. You had me at pixie dust.🥰
I figured they would be nice hand-outs at the knife shows. If you'd like one I can arrange that. I won't receive these until after Atlanta blade show though. I will hopefully have them in two weeks from today.

Back