• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hapstone R1 Teaser

Will it be possible to sharpen axes and hatchets on the R1?
I've seen videos like this where supports are added to prop the axe head up to sharpen properly:
Given the magnetic, rubberized blade table has disappeared and that the rotating clamp and chisel clamp modules are the only options, am I right in thinking this will no longer be possible?

Would it be possible to have the original magnetic, rubberized blade table as an additional module?

At last, we have received the final production sample of Hapstone R1. We are ready to show it!

Hapstone R1 completes the full product line of knife sharpeners:

• Hapstone M2 in the economy segment
  • Hapstone V7 in the middle
  • Hapstone R1 in the high-end segment
It was the tough time for Hapstone as R1 and M2 were in development simultaneously. R1 was almost ready in 2017 but was completely redesigned.

We will show all three knife sharpeners on upcoming BladeShow 2018 in Atlanta.

You can preview Hapstone R1 here. The preorder will be open soon. The estimated start shipping date is between August and October. The sooner you preorder R1, the sooner you get it. After fulfillment all preorders, Hapstone R1 will come to open sales.

Hapstone R1 knife sharpener is super upgradable. You will not have to buy a new knife sharpener as soon as an auxiliary option is available. Options can be: modules for different sharpening tasks (the scissors module, the extendable working table module, the chisel module), alternative vertical rods (the rail), alternative horizontal rod (the convex rod), and adapters you put on the sharpener (like the fine-tuning adapter or digital angle cube). All these options will come during the fall.

Hapstone R1 will be available in many variants.

• Standard kit with the rotating clamp system and fine-tuning. Stone bundles: 5 silicon carbide stones, 5 aluminum oxide stones, 3 dual-side diamonds, 5 Boride stones. Price range $489-$519.
  • Barebone kit with the rotating clamp system only, no stones. Price $399.
  • Deluxe kit with many modules and options. Estimated start selling date - end of the year. Stone bundles will be announced (we consider Chosera 5 stones, Shapton Pro 5 stones, Metallic CBN 6-stones).
Hapstone-knife-sharpener-R1-mini.jpg

More photos here

R&D has decided to remove the thickness compensator from R1. They have found out that fine-tuning feature makes the compensator not very useful. When switching stones of different thickness it's faster to do fine-tuning than compensation. I know it can be controversial. I don't have R1 sample so I cannot say whether I do personally agree or not.
The fact is the thickness compensator in V6 and V7 is one of the most complicated features for inexperienced customers (difficult to understand and to use). :(
For just a few dollars in production, they could have at least included it. It would have been a good idea, IMHO.

Is there an easy way to switch to a different thickness stone with the fine tuning adjustment without pulling out your angle cube or using a Sharpie on the blade? I'd rather have the thickness compensator.

I get it that those who don't understand how to initially use it would be confused. All they need to do is create a video showing how to use it. Once you "see" it in action, it's pretty easy to understand.

Don't get me wrong... I still think it looks like it's going to be an amazing sharpener and I'm not knocking it as a whole. Over all it looks like they did an amazing job and my longing for a WE is subsiding. I just think it would have been a better idea to included it Even if it's not a big deal to most. If you are going to spend $500 and more on a knife sharpener, you own a $30 angle cube. But when people are deciding to purchase either a Hapstone, KME, WE, EP, TSPROF, etc. I can see that being weighed into their choice

Well, hopefully it will.at least be an available option down the road.

Last edited:
For just a few dollars in production, they could have at least included it. It would have been a good idea, IMHO.

Is there an easy way to switch to a different thickness stone with the fine tuning adjustment without pulling out your angle cube or using a Sharpie on the blade? I'd rather have the thickness compensator.

I get it that those who don't understand how to initially use it would be confused. All they need to do is create a video showing how to use it. Once you "see" it in action, it's pretty easy to understand.

The fine-tuning adapter has the rotating part. If you don't use the rotating part, the fine-tuning adapter becomes large thickness compensator. If you know how to use the thickness compensator, you easily imagine how to do the same procedure with the fine-tuning adapter. The rotating part is tightened; the adapter is locked; you move the pivot unit up and down according to the distance between the lower side of the pivot unit and the upper side of the fine-tuning adapter.

I did not know where to ask this question Can the V7 sharpen a Scandi grind? I have yet to try it and somewhat afraid to mess up my custom blades Or should i just stick to using my bench stones thank you

Back