Harpoon shaped blades. Why?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by H0kieengineer, Oct 3, 2019.

1. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I love harpoon blades. I think they look sweet and on some blades give a nice thumb ramp that flows with the lines of the knife.

Is the purpose of that blade shape mostly looks or is the some purpose that I don’t know?

2. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Personally,it serves to keep me from liking a knife.--KV

P2P, Cursum Perficio, Riz! and 7 others like this.
  3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I’m fairly certain they’re just for looks. Maybe on certain fixed blades you could attach them to a stick and use them as a fishing spear, but that’s just a very specific use I imagine they could be used for, haha.

All that said, I love the look of a good harpoon blade profile.

David Mary and 4mer_FMF like this.
  4. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I like them.

5. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    My assumption is all looks, but I love the look.

6. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Whales.

7. Gravy

Gravy

Dec 16, 2014
    It's just aesthetics. Same thing for compound grinds and crowned spines.

I suppose they could also be used as thumb ramps, like on the Kizer Ursa Minor....

8. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    The ‘poon makes a bigger hole when you poke something than the same blade without it. Makes a good thumb ramp as mentioned. Plus, they’re not ugly to me.

[​IMG]

9. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2018
    That nasty little point/hump thing on the back of the harpoon blade is designed to savage your pants pocket at an accelerated rate. The harpoon blade design is the result of a conspiracy of knife designers working together with pants manufacturers.

10. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I do not care for them on folders there are only a very few harpoon shaped fixed blades that I like.

But they sell right now so makers are making them.

David Mary likes this.
  11. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    My XM-18 Harp Tanto is an incredible knife to remove the eyes of potatoes. And I often prep 'tatoes.
    I absolutely love that fat boy as an EDC. The “hump” on swedge is smoothened and does not rip off pants, and the angle between the tanto tip and the rest of the edge is insanely sharp AND robust, which makes it ideal to... cut things basically.

[​IMG]

Catman10, onionfan and Ironbut like this.
  12. Bluearcflash

Bluearcflash Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Don't know but they sure do look good, especially the fixed blades.

David Mary likes this.
  13. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    ;) Aesthetic appeal of the arrowhead , harpoon and phallus . :p

I would not want this on a working or SD knife . Might tend to get stuck , hooked in the material being cut . :confused:

14. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    See no use other than looks on a folder. Depending on the design, on fixed blades it could allow you to a straight chopping edge while maintaining a sweeping edge on the other side. That's how it was used on older hunting designs, but now it also seems mostly for looks.

15. Justme33

Justme33 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I really liked the shape on the mini vallation. Gave a really nice place for the thumb to go. The lock kept sticking so it had to go back. If they ever make that without the assist I would be tempted again!

16. South paw draw

South paw draw Yep.....I'm a idiot. Platinum Member

Sep 23, 2019
    20191003_070438.jpg

I like them.

17. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    They seem like they stab into things a little easier, granted, a swedge does the same thing without having that extra material on top.
    The Umnumzaan's Harpoon section makes a nice scraper that saves the actual sharpened edge of the blade.
    Either way, the harpoon on the right knife looks damn good.

Edgeoflife and South paw draw like this.
  18. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    They just look badass. If I ever needed to chop the roof off a car & all I had was a knife, I'd want it to be a Fatty.:)
    [​IMG]

19. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    I have to agree with all this, with two exceptions: That pivot in the pic is one of them, namely I would rather see that beautiful blade as one end of a solid piece of steel, the tang extending all the way into the handle being the other end.

And for me, it would have to be either black socks with black pants, or white socks with tan pants. :D

20. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Same here.