Harpoon shaped blades. Why?

The way I look at it, it's a rounded Wharncliffe :)

i-F8SLxqG-X3.jpg

It’s hard to justify that it makes a larger hole these blades are small so adding a couple mm on top is marginally a larger hole. Adding a couple mm to the top an tapering it to the tip makes it pointier and broader. So being pointer makes it penetrate better than without it. To understand the shape you’d have to research where it came from.
Never seen a poon that was only .080" tall. That would not even qualify as a poon.

Never seen a poon that was only .080" tall. That would not even qualify as a poon.[How many “poons” have you measured. This sounds interesting. I can see someone in public school asking around with a ruler.
Asking people can I measure your poon

Help me Unwatch Thread button, you're my only hope.

IMG_9000.jpg I only a couple harpoon folders. Not a huge fan although i do like this one quite a bit. Works great for thumb or pointer finger placement.

I don't understand.

Take a Hinderer Wharnie, for example, and imagine the tip twists up - you end up with a Hinderer Harpoon :)

Now, nobody who likes Harpoons want to talk about their secret: compared to the normal leaf shape, the Harpoon is much better suited to make peanut-butter sandwiches. :)

Joke aside, I only have two harpoons, the one in post #41, and this one (from the EDC thread on Fri):

i-6VBPG8C-X2.jpg

Last edited:

This was not my post.

Some poon edited if to make it appear as though that was what I actually said when in fact there are being dishonest and intentionally misrepresenting my words.

Some 'double digits' need a ruler to measure a poon. But some of us 'tripple digits' don't. You feel me dsalazar.

full

Tip feels reinforced by having the extra steel at the tip. Especially on this hollow grind.

Anyone offer a "harpoon delete" grinding service kind of like doing a flipper delete? I love the compound tanto, but hate when they add the harpoon in. The Mini Typhoon that just dropped is a prime example.

Anyone offer a "harpoon delete" grinding service kind of like doing a flipper delete? I love the compound tanto, but hate when they add the harpoon in. The Mini Typhoon that just dropped is a prime example.
I almost bought the mini Becker Harpoon, just to grind that buggar off. Hahaha
I don't like them either!

*Post pics of your knife, many makers/craftsmen here do mods......
David Mary David Mary

I think the "harpoon" thing has been a bit overdone in modern knives. It's actually a traditional pattern in many European knives :
Italian : Spanish : Spanish again : And this one (French), me thinks it's stupid but I will probably buy it because it's so sexy : So, short sum up : it looks damn good and it's piercy, piercy. Like the bow clip on the iconic Bowie knife.
I like a sharp tip on my knives. Can't help it...

I think the "harpoon" thing has been a bit overdone in modern knives. It's actually a traditional pattern in many European knives :
Italian : Spanish : Spanish again : And this one (French), me thinks it's stupid but I will probably buy it because it's so sexy : So, short sum up : it looks damn good and it's piercy, piercy. Like the bow clip on the iconic Bowie knife.
I like a sharp tip on my knives. Can't help it...

All but the bottom knife are not harpoons. The tip is BIGGER than the body of the blade on a harpoon knife.

All but one of your pics are "reverse harpoons". :)

If only Ahab has a harpoon (which sounds sexual) knife. <Bevis voice> Harpoon, heh heh heh. Heh. <Butthead voice> He said poon.

So being pointer makes it penetrate better than without it. To understand the shape you’d have to research where it came from.

Does a harpoon profile add any functionality? Nope. Do they look cool? Hell yeah!!!

2PYJKNm.jpg

The original was designed by George Brooks in 1914 and first produced by Webster Marble in 1915.....
iSFZVp9.jpg

It was designed by Brooks to be both a skinning blade and a sticker, with the original design having a sharpened back edge for penetration. Some of the early Woodcraft blades did have a sharpened swedge apparently. The one in the picture is 1920-ish, and the swedge is almost sharp, as in maybe was at one time but hasn't been touched in many years.....

Back