• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has anyone asked kershaw why they don't want forums here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why we can't have nice things:

palonej said:

Thomas was a straight up presumptuous arrogant twit

Ad homin attacks, spleen venting, angry anonymous people spiting venom from behind their screen. I would invite palonej to come talk with Thomas at blade this year. Is it so difficult to have civil conversations on the internet? Yes, it seems so. Huge successful brands lose nothing by not being here. We are just left the poorer.

And that sir, is exactly why this place is so difficult.

Does palonej know Thomas? Has he spoken with him before? At least I took the time to call him and as busy as he was he took my call(s). His faults have been examined, re-examined, and he is actually a pretty open book. He tried apologizing for his words from time to time, but gave that up as it always seemed to him that someone was butt hurt.

But back to the example palonej has provided. How would he know that about Thomas? palonej exemplifies exactly what was going on at the Kershaw forum.

The Kershaw forum was closed TWO FULL YEARS before palonj became a member here at Bladeforums. TWO FULL YEARS. How does he know what went on in a forum that had thousands of posts on threads he never took part in that was long closed before he even got here?

That post sums up the kind of activity that went on. That opinion is based on nothing, but the smut, rumor and hearsay provided by others. It shows the name calling and the dog piling effect that started out of the thin air. What precipitated that remark from someone that wasn't even a member of Bladeforums on any level and certainly never participated in the forum? And as it happens so often here on BF, it was an obvious attempt to start this very civil thread on the path of personalized name calling and personal attacks. Still, based on nothing but what he heard somewhere. And palonej was even thoughtful enough to get his "Spyderco is better" comparison as it was many years ago (although he wouldn't know that... so it must come naturally).

So for anyone that wants to know what happened, just look at the structure and posts of this thread and let it expand over a period of years covering thousands of posts. You get the idea.

Sheeesh... two years before he joined... I guess it's true. The internet makes experts out of everyone.

Robert

Last edited:
Thomas earned his own reputation. He may well be a fine person in many contexts, but he was out of his depth and hopelessly incompetent as a forum mod.

Well... I don't think anyone THAT WAS AROUND IN THOSE DAYS would debate that. He started out OK, and I think everyone wanted him to succeed. Many of us were pretty happy to have a Kershaw presence here on BF. But then it started to crumble, and it was obvious he wasn't the right fit for the job.

Robert

Well... I don't think anyone THAT WAS AROUND IN THOSE DAYS would debate that. He started out OK, and I think everyone wanted him to succeed. Many of us were pretty happy to have a Kershaw presence here on BF. But then it started to crumble, and it was obvious he wasn't the right fit for the job.

Robert
Yeah. I've never been a KAI diehard, and there were plenty of them that I out-and-out didn't get along with, but they definitely had a large fan community here and I feel bad for the folks that got left high and dry by the closure.

M midnight flyer Some of us were around while it was here (at least for a little bit) and read the same things as you did. Rehashing this over and over is redundant so I won't repeat what's already been said.

I'll just add, what happened is available for anyone to research and read. This thread is going no where and solves nothing.

I hear you dude but a lot of people want to discuss a lot of things that aren't related to gkd and the threads get moved/locked/deleted in droves. Every other topic not related to kershaw is compartmentalized.
I hear you too, dude. I'm not very interested in most Kershaw knives either, but there are lots of discussions about knives that I'm not very interested in. Threads only get moved/locked/deleted from gkd if they aren't general discussion about knives. Kershaw knives are knives, generally speaking.

I figured the thread would be locked and it still might be if it doesn't die by itself but the mods did move it which means they're probably offended too.

I moved the thread and no I'm not offended, you'd know if I was.

Given the nature of the thread, I felt it was a better fit in GBU than GKD.

As far as locking the thread, members ultimately make that decision for the mods.

I moved the thread and no I'm not offended, you'd know if I was.

Given the nature of the thread, I felt it was a better fit in GBU than GKD.

As far as locking the thread, members ultimately make that decision for the mods.

Since you're the mod that moved the post can I ask why you feel this belongs in a feedback section about trading knives? I don't see how this thread would belong here... This seems more like a discussion for gdk since it's a "general discussion about knives" or maybe an off topic forum.

Was the point to throw it in a pit of sour sallys and get me a bunch of red feedback?

Last edited:
Some people can find a way to be personally offended by any thing on the internet. I was curious as to the why and how and more information has been offered in these 2 pages than what I can find sifting through 5 years of posts. I figured the thread would be locked and it still might be if it doesn't die by itself but the mods did move it which means they're probably offended too.
Not sure what you're implying but I'm sure that, as Boru said, it wasn't moved because it was offensive. At the same time I posted my response (post #3), I reported it because I figured it didn't belong in GKD*. I'm sure the move to GBU was just about being orderly and on topic. That's all.

*It's not a thread about knives. It's about the forum. That was my thought, anyway.

Last edited:
Was the point to throw it in a pit of sour sallys and get me a bunch of red feedback?

Why is that what you expect from the feedback forum? You've only been here for a week, what makes you think that this subforum is full of these 'sour sallys' and that you're doomed to 'red feedback' now?

Since you're the mod that moved the post can I why you feel this belongs in a feedback section about trading knives? I don't see how this thread would belong here... This seems more like a discussion for gdk since it's a "general discussion about knives" or maybe an off topic forum.

Your thread isn't a " general discussion about knives " thread, you were wanting opinions and thoughts on why Kershaw no longer has a forum here... correct me if I'm wrong but you're looking for feedback, that's why the move.

As far as your last sentence in the quote above goes... If you get a bunch of " red feedback " as you put it, don't blame me for that because I moved your thread... that will be on you.

Is it a "feedback on buyer and seller experiences with me thread"?

Its a thread about a knife manufacturer and their previous relationship with this community, which puts it in the same realm as public relations or warranty ie how they deal with their fan base.

In my opinion (and not that it matters ), Feedback is more appropriate than General Knife Discussion, yet not quite as fitting as Tech Support. However, you'll get much more traffic here than in Tech Support.

All due respect, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Moving a thread is an organizational choice and not intended as a slight towards the original poster.

Is it a "feedback on buyer and seller experiences with me thread"?

No it's not.

Tell you what though... if you want to be technical I can always move this thread to the Community Center, maybe that would be the best place for your thread and maybe that would make you happy.

No it's not.

Tell you what though... if you want to be technical I can always move this thread to the Community Center, maybe that would be the best place for your thread and maybe that would make you happy.

Not trying to be technical. I'm plenty happy with responses I've gotten already. If you feel that's best place for the thread by all means.

Absolutely. He might be a great dude.......he was an arrogant presumptuous twit as a mod. Smarmy too.

And despite it being pointed out that the subforum closed years before you got here, you continue to post as if you knew Thomas personally.

Not trying to be technical. I'm plenty happy with responses I've gotten already. If you feel that's best place for the thread by all means.

And the presence of attitude like this is evidence enough of the kind of people that would toss their nonsense into the Kai subforum.

I've been around a while, and spent a long time on the Kai subforum. Much of what's been described here is simply untrue, and much of it is very much misremembered it seems. Either that or it's misrepresented.

I'm happy to say that Thomas and I are friends, and I have a good relationship with several people at Kai. The discussions we've had about the Kai subforum back when it was open paint a very different picture than what's been said in this thread, so if you think you're getting objective truth it's not exactly so. There was more than one moderator, and it was not as if the subforum collapsed in on itself. It wasn't worth the hours, and served no significant return for the company.

Many members saw that they could offend Thomas by trolling and insulting his products, and countless people would simply go into the subforum to troll under the guise of helping people with their questions. Some people in this thread have a long history of trashing both Thomas and Kai, and have always cited "fanboys" as a source of toxicity. However they'll never get the irony that their anti-crusade is just as petty, just as eyeroll-inducing, and more vitriolic than any fanboys from the old subforum. And they get away with it generally because Kai fans jumped ship not long after the Kai sub closed, and saw that the anti-Kai people were joyous in having pushed them out. It was a fairly disgusting thing to see given how small the knife enthusiast sphere was/is.

They saw Thomas as a target, and either went out of their way to get a rise out of him, or would cause a stink to get free product. That's another thing; people learned that Thomas was a very generous person and would try all sorts of ways to get free knives. It was embarrassing. When it wouldn't work out, I'd see those same people who came in with their hands out, return weeks later trashing the company, Thomas, and recommending people sell their Kershaws for other brands. They'd feebly attempt to mask it as ''just their honest opinion," but anyone with a half-decent memory would see their act.

Kai isn't the only company to drop away from forums. They realized, like other companies, that they can connect to customers via social media for much less headache and a lower cost in terms of hours of maintenance.

Aside from selling, I don't find much reason to scroll through these boards anymore. Forums in general have lost their flare at the hands of tighter social media communities, from Instagram to Discord. Honestly, I'll likely forget about this thread in a day or two and just somehow scroll through BF's B/S/T area in a couple of months again.

There sure is a lot of shit talking here...but then again, not surprised.

KAI left, likely won’t be back. But peeps continue to trash them for making the decision to leave. Thomas was likely the most generous company rep anywhere but some guys didn’t get the handouts they wanted to so of course let’s bang on him...and I don’t just mean knives. Sneak peeks, insider information, he always felt that the KAI fans deserved something extra...but guess that wasn’t enough.

Whatevs, and so be it. I enjoy still talking to the company every year at Blade Show and will continue to support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back