Has anyone done a any lubrication friction testing?

All high tec testing aside . . . here is one I experienced :
I just finished filing the tang on this slip joint to take the pull from a good solid 9 (!) to something less that is going to let my thumb tenon heal up (I was having pain up into my wrist and forearm from using the knife on and off all day for a couple of days).

The blade tip was a bit proud of the handle after filing so I put some crayon on the tang to see where I needed to file it. I was thinking it was between the kick and the area I had been filing on. Turns out I just needed to file the kick. Hey . . . I'm new at this.

Anyway I had an area where as I pulled the blade open part way it got significantly harder (not any where near the half stop area) in the process I noticed that the pull got easier in the problem area from the crayon.

After I cleaned the filings out of the knife and all the crayon out I put some candle wax on the tang where the spring runs on it and the knife is very much smoother even than it was with the crayon.

Wax isn't going to collect dirt (it is all gone except a fine film in the imperfections of my file work) and so I am thinking : Oil for the pivot pin area but then a touch of candle wax for the spring / tang area.

Anyone try this or willing to try this and let us know what you think ?
For the heck of it here are photos of the knife (spay blade removed also).
IMG_5371.jpg
IMG_5377.jpg

PS: For those saying : Why in the hell didn't he just bend the spring this is my answer.
I still wanted a good solid deterrent to the knife closing.
I don't mind if the spring isn't flush when the knife is closed.

Last edited:
Filing the kick will lower the tip so it won't "peek" out...but you have to be careful not to remove too much or the blade will hit the backspring and deform the edge. (You'll see the telltale mark on the inside of the spring where the blade impacts it if it occurs.

Filing the kick will lower the tip so it won't "peek" out...but you have to be careful not to remove too much or the blade will hit the backspring and deform the edge. (You'll see the telltale mark on the inside of the spring where the blade impacts it if it occurs.
I knew I had lots of room before the edge hit the spring because I could press on the blade hard and get it to go quite a ways into the handle and still not hit the edge against the spring.

What I thought was screwy was the tip had not been above the handle at all until I started in on the tang. Now that you have brought it up I have been able to visualized what was going on and see that it was a must to file both the lobe as well as the kick for the blade to reast in the same orientation when closed as it did before my defilement. Well . . . more like filement.

Back