1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have a Laugh and a Barlow GAW * WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!*

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Sep 6, 2018.

1. waverave

waverave Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2018
    By my count we currently have three active GAWs here. @SVTFreak and the Xmas GAW of a mystery knife TBD (ends 9/16). @glennbad and the Daddy GAW of four classic patterns in the winners choice of handle material (not sure when that one ends). And of course @Leslie Tomville and his part II of my happy place GAW (ends 9/8). I love all three of these GAWs and enjoyed all the others that recently ended.

I have been gifted a few knives recently and the generosity from the porch and traditional knife community has been overwhelming. My good karma bucket is seriously overflowing so I have been gifting a few knives myself and had another GAW on FB already and can't wait any longer to have another one here.

So here we go...

A lot of folks seem to love barlows and I figured it would get a good audience if I offered my one and only example...a Case XX 65-69 user. The snap is great and there is plenty of life left in the blades.
    Barlow_01.jpg
    Barlow_02.jpg
    Barlow_03.jpg
    Barlow_04.jpg

To enter you simply need to be a contributor to The Porch and reply "I'm in". However, that is not very satisfying for anyone so you can earn additional entries as follows:
    +1 if you include a traditional knife photo
    +1 if you include a joke or pun or funny story (family friendly please!)
    +2 if you include a joke or pun or funny story about knives (I don't know any...so just throwing that out there)

I want to reiterate this should be a family-friendly GAW so please keep that in mind.

Just post once to be in the GAW and I will add all the additional entries at the end somehow when I close the thread to draw a winner.

And please don't worry if you feel like you shouldn't enter this because you already won something or whatever the reason...if you want this knife go ahead and enter. If your good karma bucket is overflowing too then have yourself a GAW it is a great feeling.

Feel free to interact or post even if you don't enter.

I'll kick this off with a few and contribute some more as things progress.

A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a drink. The bartender says "For you, no charge."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    If Silver Surfer and Iron Man teamed up, they would be alloys.

I'm not sure how long I'll leave this one open will have to see how it goes and make a call.
    Good luck everyone :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Not an entry but this makes me laugh everytime I think about it :D What a wonderful barlow :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    :D:D:D Arthur is one of my all-time favorites :)

Gevonovich and Prester John like this.
  4. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Super GAW. I'm in please although my pic is kinda pointless.
    knife-france-countries-817275.jpeg

5. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Lol! Well done sir +2 for you.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  6. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    "All I can tell you is, I wish I had a dime for every dime I have."
    (Not an entry)

Old Engineer and waverave like this.
  7. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    D1BE767E-ED35-466A-8D81-F13779CB47D7.jpeg
    Im in. Thank you for the chance. Barlows are my favorite.
    What does a grape say when he gets stepped on? ...
    Nothing, he just lets out a little wine.

t.willy, mrknife, Old Hunter and 5 others like this.
  8. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    So this dyslexic walks into a bra...

You don't like that one? Well, did you hear the one about the baby seal that walked into a club?

Those jokes are so bad I don't feel wrong to say this is not an entry. I really like the look of that Case Barlow, but I always like the look of Barlows, and yet for some reason I can never bring myself to actually carry them. So I will pass on an entry, because there is no reason for a lovely nice user to end up in my safe with the other barlows I own.

Here is a picture of one of my Barlows that never gets used. It was actually my first Barlow, and a gift from a kind porch member. I didn't use it much, but it got me interested in traditionals. I gave it to my dad, and now he carries it every day.

JohnDF, Jdival215, OLd_gUY and 3 others like this.
  9. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Okay, I'm in.
    Q. How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. One...and it's not that funny!

Amir Fleschwund, JohnDF and waverave like this.
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Yes very pointless if you bother to go to Verdun...unamusing.

veitsi_poika and r8shell like this.
  11. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Lol!

Susan: "A real woman could stop you from drinking."
    Arthur: "It would have to be a real BIG woman."

Ha! Some wine jokes just need to breath a little. They say drinking wine is a sign of true grapeness :)
    +2 for you, sir.

Dyslexic jokes can be fynnu :)
    And I'm with you there I like the look of the barlows but don't feel compelled to carry one.

Ha! Glad you joined in +1 for you, sir.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    JaxBaron and Prester John like this.
  12. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    As long as you don't worship dog.

OLd_gUY and waverave like this.
  13. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    I like the French Army Knife, here is a more better one...

[​IMG]

But I thought this was about traditional knives.

[​IMG]

14. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    Horse walks into a bar. Bartender says, "Would you like a drink?". Horse says, "I think not.", and disappears.

Now, I know that on this forum I don't have to explain the philosophical concept of, "I think, therefore I am."

That would just be putting Descartes before the horse.

15. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Skeleton walks into a bar. Bartender says , "What'll you have?" Skeleton says, "Give me a beer . . . and a mop."

(Not an additional entry, of course. Was just reminded of joke!)

dc50, neal70, waverave and 1 other person like this.
  16. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Did you hear the one about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He lay awake all night wondering if there's a dog.

Hre's a picture of my three favorite barlows: a blond, a brunette, and a redhead. (sounds like the beginning of a joke) My redhead is more of an auburn, so I can't resist entering for that pretty red bone Case.
    Barlows b,b&r (1).jpg
    Here's a story that some of you might remember: When I was a child, someone told me that if I planted lollypop sticks in the ground, a lollypop tree would grow. I was always disappointed.
    Some years ago, I dropped a Boker Tree Brand knife in my yard and it rained all night. When I saw that it had sprouted, I thought "Why not?"
    thuya sprout (1).jpg
    And whaddaya know? It only bore small penknives, but still a pretty nice Boker Tree. I guess that's how they got their name. ;)
    Boker tree.jpg

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm in, you've practically twisted my arm after all.;)

This was my carry for the particular weekend
    [​IMG]
    I was at a baby shower type gathering for my cousin which was being held at the local bowling alley.
    Helping my aunt get the confetti into the balloons trying to get it through this paper funnel included in the package.
    I was using the screwdriver on the little yellow classic as a pusher to stuff it through when my other cousin comes up to warn me to be careful with that knife.
    I explained to him I was using the nail file / flat screwdriver , to which he replied it could still poke me.
    ( I haven't poked myself since Saturday :D )
    Anyways after I had finished using the little classic I put it back into my pocket, or so I thought.
    I went to grab it back out to snip a tag off of something for my cousins wife and it was nowhere to be found.
    I looked all over the floor and assumed I had missed my pocket and some other patron of the bowling alley picked it up.
    I was pretty upset because this classic has a deal of sentimental value connected to my grandfather.

Then came time to bowl, I had brought my grandfathers bowling ball, bag, and shoes because I had them and figured why not.
    I wasn't sure if I was actually going to wear the shoes , but realized " I know who's feet have been in these, but can't say the same for a pair of stinky old rentals ".
    I'm so glad I decided to wear my grandfather's bowling shoes, because low and behold there was the little yellow classic inside the left shoe. Apparently I left the bag open when I pulled out a pack of hand rosin for someone to use and it found it's way in there.

Had I not decided to wear his shoes the little classic would never have been seen again, because I just don't bowl anymore.

Thanks for hosting this fun giveaway, and good luck to all who enter.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Old Hunter, Chief, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  18. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Cool GAW! I’m in.

Prester John and waverave like this.
  19. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Please ignore this post

20. rye_a

rye_a Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Well, most of my jokes aren't family friendly, so I'll just leave this here:

Why don't seagulls fly over bays?

Because then they'd be bagels.

I'm in. Thanks for the chance!

[​IMG]

Old Hunter, Jathes, JohnDF and 2 others like this.