Headed to Australia, any laws I need to worry about?

Wife and I are getting to make a bucket list trip to Aussie land. I usually carry a 3.5" fixed blade on my belt (Dozier) and a 3 blade buck folder in my pocket.

Any advice for the trip would be greatly appreciated. Fixed blade a no-no? Blade length limit?

Thanks
Doc

Laws vary state-to-state but are generally very restrictive. Carrying a fixed blade is out unless you pretty much have an immediate use (camping, hunting, being at a workplace that needs it etc). Carrying a folder is often also against the law. In some states you can carry if you have a reasonable need, eg your work. Self defence isn't considered a legit need. Laws tend to be very strict around pubs and clubs.

I often have a SAK in my backpack for general utility and I'd use it almost every day. Same with an Opinel for food prep. But then I don't call attention to myself or get searched.

It may be easier to argue reasonable need with a SAK or traditional than a black coated tanto flipper.

Where in Australia are you visiting? How long will you be here for? More importantly than knives we need to talk about the good places to eat and drink ! :D

Chris,

Kind of a 10 day blast through and see as much as you can. Sounds like a good multi-tool would be easier to justify from a big dumb Texan!! Will definitely be trying out a multitude of fine eating establishments!!

Have to stock up on my Vegamite stores while I am there!!

Doc

I was in rural New South Wales riding horses for three weeks last summer. I carried a Victorinox Pioneer X everywhere I went, and most around seemed to have some sort of traditional folder, although one guy carried a clipped Leatherman. However, I never really got near very populated areas, so I'm sure it depends on where you're at. Have fun, beautiful country for sure.

Be careful with the border control / customs coming in, don't bring any undeclared food in, stiff fines, and as cute as the sniffer dogs are at the airport, don't play with them!

I think you'll be fine with a SAK. I carry one everyday myself, for as long as I can remember, hey, I grew up in the MacGuyver era, but I actually use it. It is not a big one and not very scary. Lots of tradies carry leatherman's too.

I can't stress enough not petting the sniffer dogs at the airport. That is highly frowned upon. I got to have a little "talk" with the customs guys after I did that lol. I was there for about two weeks several years ago and took a sak and a case stockman and never got a second look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stress enough not petting the sniffer dogs at the airport. That is highly frowned upon. I got to have a little "talk" with the customs guys after I did that lol. I was there for about two weeks several years ago and took a sak and a case stockman and never got a second look. Hopefully in their case the dog doesn't choke on a treat after they tell someone not to pet them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very egotistical of law enforcement and TSA.
They can bring a dog to you sniff you're luggage and your butthole but godforsaken you pet the dog then your a bad guy.

Last edited:
They can bring a dog to you sniff you're luggage and your butthole but godforsaken you pet the dog then your a bad guy.

They're working, not hanging around for your amusement. Next time you get stopped for speeding, try kissing the cop on the cheek and tell him/her you were just being friendly.

I thought it was common knowledge that it's rude to try to pet working dogs. That applies to police dogs and service animals. They're doing a job for which they're trained, and it's not to entertain you.

Also we're talking about Australian customs, so what does TSA have to do with this?

They're working, not hanging around for your amusement. Next time you get stopped for speeding, try kissing the cop on the cheek and tell him/her you were just being friendly.

That is the worst analogy I've heard. If a sniffer dog came up to most people in a airport their reaction would be to pet the dog or say it's cute. I don't know many people who ger pulled over for speeding tickets and their reaction is to kiss the cop.

It's not about being egotistical, it's about preserving training that can cost many thousands of dollars. Working dogs learn very fast and you don't want to teach them that going up to strangers equals affection and reward.

I have no experience but I keep reading over the years that Australia is one of the least friendly when it comes to knife-rights. Even mailing knives has a high risk of being confiscated.

That is the worst analogy I've heard. If a sniffer dog came up to most people in a airport their reaction would be to pet the dog or say it's cute. I don't know many people who ger pulled over for speeding tickets and their reaction is to kiss the cop.

Sure, people who don't know the difference between a working law enforcement animal and a pet. In other words - kids. /End threadjack.

Wife and I are getting to make a bucket list trip to Aussie land. I usually carry a 3.5" fixed blade on my belt (Dozier) and a 3 blade buck folder in my pocket.

Any advice for the trip would be greatly appreciated. Fixed blade a no-no? Blade length limit?

Thanks
Doc

It would be better if you left those at home and bought something similar here when you arrive. But fixed blades are out of the question as EDCs. Whatever you buy you can take out with you IN YOUR luggage when you leave. In fact it would pay to place anything you may bring with you in there too. I wouldn't be carrying anything when entering, they're very strict, and there is good reason for that.

Thing is Doc that we don't have the need to protect ourselves from LUNATICS here, ours are ALL in asylums, not roaming in public masquerading as would be decent folk. I know it's not the same in other countries, but if you're a decent person you'll be fine here, it truly is a wonderful place to live and visit, and the cops are right on the ball if ever you need assistance of any sort. Talk to them, they will help, they're double attentive to tourists.

If you need the knives for camping or fishing and the like, as I said, you can buy them here, even just get cheaper ones that do the job. There are a few places in every state that have "reasonable" stocks of certain brands. You'll find what you need to do the job, but forget Dozier. You'd only find those privately if you're lucky. Buck is NO problem.

If you want to know the best place to go and buy them in Vic, here it is:

http://gonewalkaboutaustralia.com.au/

They have a LARGE stall at the Queen Victoria Market which is in the heart of the city, and they're open there on Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 8:30-3:30pm, you'll find directions on their homepage as to HOW to get there. If you look through their inventory on their homepage and you like something, just give them a ring and tell them the day you want to go into the Market to pick it up, and they'll have it. They have much more stock warehoused than they do at the market stall, even though they have a lot of stock there too. But they'd be happy to help you with whatever they have, just let them know when you're going to pick it up, if you do.

Either way, enjoy your trip Doc, its a vast and very clean place, so if you like the outback or the oceans, get ready for a treat and a half... and btw... you picked the best time of the year to come weather wise. The waning of the summer here is a top choice in any state.

It would be better if you left those at home and bought something similar here when you arrive. But fixed blades are out of the question as EDCs. Whatever you buy you can take out with you IN YOUR luggage when you leave. In fact it would pay to place anything you may bring with you in there too. I wouldn't be carrying anything when entering, they're very strict, and there is good reason for that.

Thing is Doc that we don't have the need to protect ourselves from LUNATICS here, ours are ALL in asylums, not roaming in public masquerading as would be decent folk. I know it's not the same in other countries, but if you're a decent person you'll be fine here, it truly is a wonderful place to live and visit, and the cops are right on the ball if ever you need assistance of any sort. Talk to them, they will help, they're double attentive to tourists.

If you need the knives for camping or fishing and the like, as I said, you can buy them here, even just get cheaper ones that do the job. There are a few places in every state that have "reasonable" stocks of certain brands. You'll find what you need to do the job, but forget Dozier. You'd only find those privately if you're lucky. Buck is NO problem.

If you want to know the best place to go and buy them in Vic, here it is:

http://gonewalkaboutaustralia.com.au/

They have a LARGE stall at the Queen Victoria Market which is in the heart of the city, and they're open there on Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 8:30-3:30pm, you'll find directions on their homepage as to HOW to get there. If you look through their inventory on their homepage and you like something, just give them a ring and tell them the day you want to go into the Market to pick it up, and they'll have it. They have much more stock warehoused than they do at the market stall, even though they have a lot of stock there too. But they'd be happy to help you with whatever they have, just let them know when you're going to pick it up, if you do.

Either way, enjoy your trip Doc, its a vast and very clean place, so if you like the outback or the oceans, get ready for a treat and a half... and btw... you picked the best time of the year to come weather wise. The waning of the summer here is a top choice in any state.

What a laugh. There are plenty of mental disorders that don't present as someone running up and down a street screaming while covered in filth. In fact, Australia almost certainly has plenty of folks with mental disorders walking around "masquerading as would be decent folk." You probably work with at least two Sociopaths. Please keep your comments to knives, and stop attempting to take underhanded digs at our country, thanks.

Hi Doc, I second most of the info above although I carry a small Dozier (K-41 or K-42) fixed blade on my belt as an EDC... As mentioned though I'd probably just purchase something whilst here just in case, that way the knife bought can be a memento/reminder of your trip 🙂

... You probably work with at least two Sociopaths. Please keep your comments to knives, and stop attempting to take underhanded digs at our country, thanks.

No underhanded digs on Australia cobber... can't see how you perceived that. :confused:

Last edited:
Back