Headed to Australia, any laws I need to worry about?

I'm going to get bumped for this but could you send a letter to our fearless leader, USA, letting him know how to pull this off . . . more loonies, druggies, just released from jail people all talking to them selves and living along the bike path than I can stand any more . . . see it everyday, everyday, everyday.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF BOB send this letter.

I think it's the entire sociological-environment that people are brought up in. Australia's beginnings were based on a Penal Colony where the populace then was heavily suppressed and controlled by the authorities. It's something that has carried on to this very day whether one wishes to believe it or not. Conversely, in America, people's own self preservation and governance was established and maintained by the unwritten laws of the old Wild West frontier. Where every man had to be able to protect themselves simply to survive. Again, that mindset continues to this very day. Any such long established environments are NOT easy to change because they are well conditioned into the mindset of the respective population.

I doubt a letter sent to any such party would do anything to alter their fundamental state of being. That can only change in time by the people wanting such change "collectively".

I heard they're exactly like Canadians, but with better tans.

That's right.

On another note... I still can't correlate a dirt or rocky track with a road made from solid steel. :rolleyes:

Since there are a few Aussie natives here that have chimed in, maybe they can help answer the disconnect in my brain.

Australia seems like a place with so much prime, vast wilderness (the "outback," the bush, whatever you want to call it) that they should be very knife friendly people as a whole, one would think. I suppose (and hope) that going camping or being found in the outback with a big arsed knife on your belt would draw no unwanted attention from anyone. At least there, I would think it would be an innocuous enough sight.

I understand many areas are highly urbanized, certainly.

I guess I've just always had an idea that Aussies would be more welcoming of quality cutlery and its proper use (not limited to self defense, but proper jack of all trades solid working tools use.

The one thing I'll never be able to wrap my head around no matter where it is done is "you need to have a good reason for having that." in relation to carrying a knife, or at the very least, a folding knife.

Lots to see there, and it sounds like great people too. Don't know if I could ever make such a long haul flight but maybe one day.

I applaud our fellow Aussie knife knuts though, it can't be an easy hobby to have there.

Other things in life of course, but we're here because it's a deep interest. Hat's off to you.

Redlynx,

It is vast, and it's not heavily populated. What some people don't realize is that about 90% of the population lives very near the coast. The main central part of the continent is very dry, which is why people kept to the moister coastal areas since the beginning.

In the outback, I doubt anyone will pull you up on an EDC so long as it's not in clear view when you go into the small towns. Though the same laws apply in a state no matter where you are in it.

Aussies are very welcoming of quality cutlery if it's properly used, especially the country folk where they use it all the time for chopping and slicing.

But there are not that many areas that are highly urbanized if you compare it to the surface area of the land.

0.E0E!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

And it's not an easy hobby to have here because of the way most people view knives. A few months ago I took a new Spartan Ares that I bought for a mate as a present into a CNC etching/routing mob near where I live to have his name and a couple of other words very accurately and neatly ground into it. Took it in wrapped up in a non see through plastic bag which I placed on the counter in the foyer of the factory. One of the two ladies sitting at the large counter asked me to take it out of the bag for her to have a look at it, and when I did BOTH of them looked like they'd seen a ghost. You wouldn't believe it... it was as if someone told them "the money or your life". LOL :D They FREAKED as they fumbled and stuttered their way through telling me it was ok to leave it there and it would be ready for pickup the next day. It was one of the funniest things I've seen in recent times. I said to one of them that it's OK, it's just a knife, to which she looked at me with wide open eyes and a drooping jaw and said, "I can see that". LOL That should give you an idea of what we have to contend with here... we're like "closet" knife collectors, all of us. What can you do...

I do it because it's been a lifelong interest of mine. In recent years though, the quality of knives has gone through the roof, both materially and aesthetically. They've come a LONG way in the last 40years.

Last edited:
Australia is a great place to visit.
You could be killed in a car, iF you drive on the wrong side of the road.
Always look right before waking on or crossing a road.
Max speed in Australia is "100kph" your 62mph. Our "110kph" Freeway speed is your 68mph.
NO HAND HELD MOBILE PHONES WHILE DRIVING
NO GUNS - NO KNIVES - NO DRUGS ......... and HAVE A GOOD TIME... Ken. :):):)

Last edited:
You could be killed in a car, iF you drive on the wrong side of the road.
Max speed in Australia is "100kph" your 62mph. Our "110kph" Freeway speed is your 68mph.
NO GUNS - NO KNIVES - NO DRUGS ......... and HAVE A GOOD TIME... Ken. :):):)

Well said Ken. Many take driving on the left side of the road here for granted, as do we when overseas and they drive on the right. I've all to often tried to cross roads overseas and walked in the direction I instinctively thought was against the traffic to see any oncoming cars... to then suddenly hear horns going off behind me as they almost near run me over. LOL!! It's a cracka and it happens to almost everyone, even when you're conscientious about it. Be alert.

[video=youtube;ef3beK367tA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3beK367tA[/video]

"Australia"

Opportunities are available in all walks of life in Australia
So if you're young and if you're healthy
Why not get a boat and come to Australia

Australia, the chance of a lifetime
Australia, you get what you work for
Nobody has to be any better than what they want to be
Australia, no class distinction
Australia, no drug addiction
Nobody's got a chip on their shoulder
We'll surf like they do in the U.S.A.
We'll fly down to Sydney for our holiday
On sunny Christmas Day
Australia, Australia
No one hesitates at life or beats around the bush in Australia
So if you're young and if you're healthy
Why not get a boat and come to Australia
Australia sha-la-la-la sha-la-la-la
Everyone walks around with a perpetual smile across their face
Everyone gets around and nobody can ever get you down
We'll surf like they do in the U.S.A.
We'll fly down to Sydney for our holiday
On sunny Christmas Day
Australia, Australia

Self defence isn't considered a legit need.

I think this is quite possibly one of the most illogical things I have ever read. Just reading this thread makes me want to vomit. The country that gave us Mick 'Crocodile' Dundee now won't even let it's citizens wear a fixed blade knife in public w/out a *reasonable need* :barf:

Looks like I'll not be visiting the 'land down under' anytime soon.

I think this is quite possibly one of the most illogical things I have ever read. Just reading this thread makes me want to vomit. The country that gave us Mick 'Crocodile' Dundee now won't even let it's citizens wear a fixed blade knife in public w/out a *reasonable need* :barf:

Looks like I'll not be visiting the 'land down under' anytime soon.
Jack, please stay at home with your "Fixed Blade Knife"
Could you please tell me why you need to "wear a fixed blade knife"
Mick 'Crocodile' Dundee and anyone in Australia can wear a fixed blade knife.
Dundee had a "need" to wear a Big Knife! Didn't you see the move? Didn't you see all those "Bad people" in the move?
I think Sylvester Stallone [Rambo]also needed a Fixed Blade Knife too.
Maybe you could tell me why you would need a fixed blade knife, when going on an over-seas holiday.

Last edited:
I live in Australia .

I carry a folding knife if some kind everywhere I go without incident or trouble .
No body has ever questioned me or run away screaming for someone to call the police .
I mind my own business , dont cause trouble , dont put myself in situations or locations that could cause myself or others grief .
To put it simply , I'm a good responsible citizen and the authorities and my fellow Australians respect that and let me go about my business without interruption because I have given no cause too .

If you are a respectful and responsible visitor to this country , I can see no reason why you will be treated any different from me when it comes to carrying a sensible folding knife .

Hope you enjoy your stay in Australia , its a wonderful country and please dont think all of the negative things you have read in this thread are true , because they are not .

Ken

You might be ok with sneaking a pocket knife in, but don't try to sneak a dog in...At least that's what Johnny Depp says ;)

Jack, buddy, this is not the time or the place. You want to debate that sort of thing, pay the man, change your name color, and go play in political. Otherwise try to be constructive. I don't much care what you think your rights are, they have no relevance to the topic at hand.

Jack, buddy, this is not the time or the place. You want to debate that sort of thing, pay the man, change your name color, and go play in political. Otherwise try to be constructive. I don't much care what you think your rights are, they have no relevance to the topic at hand.

I beg to differ Sir, koldgold seems to think what rights I have are VERY relevant. Anyways, I'm thru.

Jack, please stay at home with your "Fixed Blade Knife"
Could you please tell me why you need to "wear a fixed blade knife"
Mick 'Crocodile' Dundee and anyone in Australia can wear a fixed blade knife.
Dundee had a "need" to wear a Big Knife! Didn't you see the move? Didn't you see all those "Bad people" in the move?
I think Sylvester Stallone [Rambo]also needed a Fixed Blade Knife too.
Maybe you could tell me why you would need a fixed blade knife, when going on an over-seas holiday.

[video=youtube;bOqsdgGCxW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOqsdgGCxW4[/video]

What your rights may be in the USA they will not be the same here in Australia. Our border patrol will fine you heavily for any prohibited foods that you do not declare (this is to protect our flora and fauna from introduced diseases and is totally justifiable) Read your customs declaration they give you on the plane and answer truthfully or you will get caught and pay the price. Our knife and gun laws are super strict. If a cop stops and searches you and you have a knife (any knife) he will confiscate it and you will be charged, end of story. Especially in the big cities. I for one think the laws are a tad silly and the majority of our laws are for revenue raising purposes only. Our government has nearly always made laws based on knee jerk reactions (1 guy kills 35 people in Tasmania in 1996 and the whole of australia has to suffer and hand in all their guns) July last year they relaxed the law on owning a one handed opening knife (mainly because the emergency first responders needed it changed for their work) This is a great country, people are awesome, the animals are weird and wonderful, tho we do have 17 of the most venomous snakes in the world, the beaches are super beautiful (with huge sharks and crocs patrolling them) and the food is extremely varied. Obey the rules (as with any country) and you will have a very memorable trip. Welcome to down under in advance. Enjoy.

:)My friendly answer to a simple question was:
You could be killed in a car, If you drive on the wrong side of the road.
NO GUNS - NO KNIVES - NO DRUGS ......... and HAVE A GOOD TIME.

Australian Customs will let most knives into Australia, ONLY in your baggage.
I think it would be hard to carry any sharp item, on any Air Craft in todays world.
I carry a 4" Schrade 8OT most of the time. No one will stop you and ask if you have a knife.
However, if Jack is a good boy, and does not think he could come here, with pearl handled six guns and a knife on his belt.
Australians will welcome him with open arms - Just forget Jack Dundee and "That's not a knife, this is a knife".
Everyone is welcome here, even Jack....Ken. :)

When I was a kid, our family spent a week in Sidney, 3 months in Adelaide, and 2 years in Alice Springs. We brought our guns. How things change...

The distance between perception and reality, at least in regards to laws here is vast. But I suppose that's not news to anyone.

Back