Headed to Australia, any laws I need to worry about?

No underhanded digs on Australia cobber... and it's the other way around... at least two people at work don't know that I'm a sociopath. LOL!!!

Well, you know what they say... one out of three people are crazy, and if the two people near you look normal...

Thanks for the info!! Sorry to stir up controversy. I am a veterinarian by trade, so I don't bother the working dogs. For some reason they don't seem to like the way I smell :eek::eek::eek::eek:. I don't need any extracurricular activities, so will leave those kiddo's to their assigned duties.

Will probably just pick up a multitool as a souvenir while I am over there. Always need a good excuse to buy another blade.

Thanks
Doc

They've got spiders the size of Chihuahuas over there. I'd look into carrying a spear.

HaHaHa . . . sweet . . .

Up side is they don't bark hysterically and snap at your ankles until you want to punt them across the street.
Cant STAND short hairs. Long hairs are a different animal . . . so to speak.
Dogs not spiders.

Thing is Doc that we don't have the need to protect ourselves from LUNATICS here, ours are ALL in asylums, not roaming in public masquerading as would be decent folk.

I'm going to get bumped for this but could you send a letter to our fearless leader, USA, letting him know how to pull this off . . . more loonies, druggies, just released from jail people all talking to them selves and living along the bike path than I can stand any more . . . see it everyday, everyday, everyday.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF BOB send this letter.

PS: these are not masquerading as would be decent folk . . . they wouldn't have the first clue how to do that.

Well, you know what they say... one out of three people are crazy, and if the two people near you look normal...

Oh . . . hmmmm . . . is that true ? Well I can relax then. This is just normality. I thought I was noticing something new no body else had noticed. I was getting pretty scared. OK glad to have THAT out of the way.

Carry on . . .

Since there are a few Aussie natives here that have chimed in, maybe they can help answer the disconnect in my brain.

Australia seems like a place with so much prime, vast wilderness (the "outback," the bush, whatever you want to call it) that they should be very knife friendly people as a whole, one would think. I suppose (and hope) that going camping or being found in the outback with a big arsed knife on your belt would draw no unwanted attention from anyone. At least there, I would think it would be an innocuous enough sight.

I understand many areas are highly urbanized, certainly.

I guess I've just always had an idea that Aussies would be more welcoming of quality cutlery and its proper use (not limited to self defense, but proper jack of all trades solid working tools use.

The one thing I'll never be able to wrap my head around no matter where it is done is "you need to have a good reason for having that." in relation to carrying a knife, or at the very least, a folding knife.

Lots to see there, and it sounds like great people too. Don't know if I could ever make such a long haul flight but maybe one day.

I applaud our fellow Aussie knife knuts though, it can't be an easy hobby to have there.

Other things in life of course, but we're here because it's a deep interest. Hat's off to you.

They've got spiders the size of Chihuahuas over there. I'd look into carrying a spear.

Nah, they're small as... but nasty little feckers.

You only need to worry about funnel webs in NSW, these can kill. Redbacks in Victoria have a potent bite but rarely, almost never kill. Snakes, though... be careful. If you have your wits about you though, you'll spot snakes and just leave them alone.

In general, the more northerly you are, the nastier the spiders, snakes and jellyfish.

Oh, I forgot. Jeez, how could I? You'd never know. We don't have grizzlies but we have drop bears. Be warned. They don't give a shit. They're just nasty. No. 1 reason for carrying a bowie in the bush. Ask anyone!

Nah, they're small as... but nasty little feckers.

You only need to worry about funnel webs in NSW, these can kill. Redbacks in Victoria have a potent bite but rarely, almost never kill. Snakes, though... be careful. If you have your wits about you though, you'll spot snakes and just leave them alone.

In general, the more northerly you are, the nastier the spiders, snakes and jellyfish.

Oh, I forgot. Jeez, how could I? You'd never know. We don't have grizzlies but we have drop bears. Be warned. They don't give a shit. They're just nasty. No. 1 reason for carrying a bowie in the bush. Ask anyone!

Looks like it's only tourists who have to worry about those drop bears.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/04/drop-bears-target-tourists,-study-says/ :rolleyes:

Hi Doc, I second most of the info above although I carry a small Dozier (K-41 or K-42) fixed blade on my belt as an EDC... As mentioned though I'd probably just purchase something whilst here just in case, that way the knife bought can be a memento/reminder of your trip 🙂

A memento that you will not forget about in a hurry since it will cost nearly double from what you would pay in the US.

I'm always joking, makes life more fun. Is Buck a popular brand in Oz and what model if so ?

I didn't take you seriously sky... I don't think anyone who had cannibals as decedents would mention it in a hurry. LOL

This is what just ONE supplier here has, this is page one of multiple pages of buck knives that they sell:

http://gonewalkaboutaustralia.com.au/t/buck

You can pretty much all of Bucks main models here... as with everywhere else on the globe, they're popular here too.

Last edited:
A memento that you will not forget about in a hurry since it will cost nearly double from what you would pay in the US.

QFT.

Be sure and check prices. There is little here sharp and shiny that I would imagine you cannot get for less in the states. For instance, I saw a cold steel Laredo San Mai for AUD$900 thereabouts. Ouch. Perhaps some unusual made-in-China ones but I'd imagine your market is probably saturated with that kind of stuff, too.

Australia is roughly the same physical size as the contiguous USA, but they have less than 1/10th the population. Talk about open land. :eek::D

I heard they're exactly like Canadians, but with better tans.

Off the hop, to the OP, a multi should be fine, in Queensland they are pretty normal, just don't carry one into a night-club and you'll generally be fine. A SAK is even better since they are actually enshrined in law as having "obvious utility purposes" but that was written before plier-based multies were a thing.

Redlynx, its odd. I'm an expat so I see things a little different. Aussies have a drinking culture, and a getting blind drunk culture. This is not intended as an offense to any aussies, I love it here, but I think the constant danger they face every day as a child, from spiders, snakes, birds, dogs, feral cats, sharks, jellyfish,.... They have no sense of danger, so the government is desperate to create laws in a vain attempt to keep everyone alive. What that means is that if you want to carry a knife, you better have a reason, 99% of the time its easy "I'm in the outback, I need a knife" done. Its explaining why you need anything more than a Vic classic while at the pub that is where many more go wrong, or just carrying something that is frankly just intended to be provocative, or is dumb.

What a laugh. There are plenty of mental disorders that don't present as someone running up and down a street screaming while covered in filth. In fact, Australia almost certainly has plenty of folks with mental disorders walking around "masquerading as would be decent folk." You probably work with at least two Sociopaths. Please keep your comments to knives, and stop attempting to take underhanded digs at our country, thanks.

If you're going to get down to the nitty gritty numbers and say 'You probably work with at least two Sociopaths' you should have something other than your word to base that upon. Source? Facts? Basis? Ironic laughter is the thing now right? Cue Ironic laughter soundtrack.

Sorry to stir up controversy. I am a veterinarian by trade, so I don't bother the working dogs.
Doc
RECENTLY, I VISITED AMERICAN FRIENDS IN the UK who had moved from Dallas to London’ they asked my opinion as a dog trainer: Why were the dogs in London behaved better than the dogs back home? What were dog owners in London doing differently?
Children were discouraged from interacting with strangers’ dogs. Over and over, I heard parents tell their children, “Don’t distract them, darling.”
I couldn’t help notice that the way dogs are treated in Europe is strikingly similar to the way we treat (or strive to treat) service dogs in the U.S.

From an early age, the environment created for service dogs is meant to keep them calm and comfortable, which keeps them quiet as well. Young service dogs in training are walked through crowds of people who ignore them. Children are taught not to distract them. The dogs are not able to sniff or play while they’re working. We treat service dogs this way because we understand that interacting with them makes training harder for their handler.

https://thebark.com/content/why-are-european-dogs-so-well-behaved?

Redlynx,

Out in most country towns and the surrounding areas most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at seeing a knife on a belt or in use for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately as subsequent generations in highly populated area's aren't taught the true usefulness of knives they have fallen from favour... I carry a knife daily to do my small part in reversing this trend 😀

Back