• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Heads up on a wooden scale folder from China

This wooden handle folder from China with the Bowie style clip point blade is shown with some "Photoshopped" photos on various selling sites. What they do not show, or declare, is that this is an automatic knife, but instead they list it as liner lock and they can do that as they don't show the buttons! If you live where automatic knives are prohibited items then you will never receive it as Customs Inwards will seize it.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This is what it really looks like.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

(The above two images are from the one eBay seller who shows the knife as it really is)

I thought that there may have been two models, so after the first was seized I bought from a different seller, but it too had the buttons. On the plus side the sellers (in China) refunded my money without any prompting.

Last edited:
Moving this to Feedback.

Those sellers were all on eBay, but AliExpress also shows misleading photos of the same knife.
H6cc9892f2c5f4c9b97b79b6e8e7d7153N.jpg

H208f3bb35e114ab0a78d6e3b23cea053X.jpg

Hc0b4423057b8488d9b74c99424bab6d2W.jpg

Once you know what to look for the inward facing hook on the rear end of the blade is a giveaway, even though the activating button and safety have been expunged from the top down view. The blade pivot has a dome head on the right hand side, while the left hand side, the side with the buttons, has a dome head with four notches taken out of its periphery giving it a castellated appearance.

Last edited:
Those sellers were all on eBay, but AliExpress also shows misleading photos of the same knife.
H6cc9892f2c5f4c9b97b79b6e8e7d7153N.jpg

H208f3bb35e114ab0a78d6e3b23cea053X.jpg

Hc0b4423057b8488d9b74c99424bab6d2W.jpg

Once you know what to look for the inward facing hook on the rear end of the blade is a giveaway, even though the activating button and safety have been expunged from the top down view. The blade pivot has a dome head on the right hand side, while the left hand side, the side with the buttons, has a dome head with four notches taken out of its periphery giving it a castellated appearance.

It’s not really a problem because nobody on this forum would be interested in that knife anyway.

It’s not really a problem because nobody on this forum would be interested in that knife anyway.

I am TOTALLY interested! Handle made of wood?! LED lamp?! Blade is made out of "all steel"?! "Pit pattern"?! "Cutting edge?!" Ok...is 5CR15Mov a thing?!

Yes...I would like more information please. Please. Pretty please.

Edit: :poop:

A few years ago AE made some effort to make their site more respectable and one of the things they did was ban sellers from selling some types of knives, including autos. Many sellers still sell them but they photoshop the pictures so that it's not obvious that what you are buying is an auto.

Caveat emptor is very much the rule when buying from that site.

Untrue.
The OP says he bought one from two sellers. :rolleyes:o_O
(and that Customs kept both.)

I'll agree that most here would probably not be interested in it.
It's nothing I'd want - and not just because it looks like a no name "truck stop special". :)
Too "modern" for my tastes, and it only has one blade. :)

Ok...is 5CR15Mov a thing?!
A New Designation for 420J2 perhaps?

Last edited:
The universe of knife buyers is bigger than this forum and also people can look in here even if they are not members. I have never seen a flick knife, although I had heard of them, so it never occurred to me that is what it was. I have plenty of knives and this was not expensive, so as I liked the shape I thought that I might as well buy it. I was dumbfounded when Customs sent me a seizure notice and only when they sent me a short video did I realize what the situation was. I have received seizure notices before, but have always received my weapons (not knives) due to overzealous Customs trainees slapping a ban on which a series of letters to their superiors have reversed. That is why they bothered to send me a video, usually you get no explanations, so credit to them.

The second purchase was when I found one with no buttons, only later did I realise that they were all exactly the same knife. The video only showed the knife laying on a bench with hands on top, so could never get a good look at it as the action images were only for a couple of seconds mainly to show the blade opening in a blur. A shorter time interval than it took me to type this last sentence.

Were you really dumbfounded?
Well not really, it is just a figure of speech. I had seen from the tracking that it had arrived in the country and over a week had then passed without it progressing any further, so I figured that something was up. I have had items languish for two months while someone thinks what to do next and puts it in the “too hard” basket, but have never had a knife held up before beyond a week. So when a seizure notice arrived I began to think there was a problem and that it was an automatic knife although I could not figure out where the spring was, but then I could not see a pry bar in the handle gap that usually locks up simple folders. If you look closely at the left hand side of the knife in the DOOM Blade photo (the knife has different names depending on who is selling it) there appears to be a nick in the metal frame that is where the photo has been digitally altered as the curved shape is not quite right. In the second set of photos they just flipped the image for left and right, but rubbed out the buttons more carefully. You can tell it is the same side flipped as a castellated head appears there on both sides of the knife, when there is only one on the left hand side of the handle, the right hand side is a simple dome.

Here in Australia guns and knives are thought to be innately bad, pocket knives that I had as a kid would now be illegal and any mention of the word weapon and you have people getting all worked up and wanting everything banned. Australia was emptied of weapons after a couple of mass shootings where nearly everything was destroyed with a government compulsory buy back of guns. Now we have a situation where only criminals are tooled up with high capacity pistols and assault weapons smuggled in, probably out-gunning the cops. Any knife that looks a bit weird is seized, such as fantasy blades with a claw-like appearance which are bloody hopeless knives.

Last edited:
Apparently the ban on automatic knives here goes way back to the fifties, I just looked it up, which is why I have never seen one except for web photos viewed only recently. I didn't want an automatic knife in any case. I advised the eBay seller to change the images, but on checking he has not done so. Customs here will eventually have quite a collection of them!

It's posts like this that make BF the great place it is. I've been saving for months and donating plasma to get one these these- it's my grail knife. Now I find that it's not only misrepresented but illegal! WHY would China do this? Dirty business is what it is! Thanks OP for saving me the headaches of a heartbreaking experience.

Your grail knife!? Well I guess that the sellers deceptively display the knife in order to increase its sales and in some localities the authorities either don't check or are not too fussed by automatic knives and the buyers therefore receive their item. One seller alone has sold 179 of them, particularly as they are under 15 bucks each, or thereabouts. Yet the seller who shows them as is, i.e. with the buttons, has sold 140 of them!

Ended up buying this folder with a USB rechargeable LED from local stock (no Customs). On-off button in orange on left hand side. Probably better than the fold out version on the other knife to turn on and off.
s-l1600.jpg

One thing to consider, is that many of these inexpensive AliExpress knives can break real easy, often posing a risk of parts flying off and striking the user, or folding back on a finger.
Brand names are more money, but way safer to use, and they last much longer.

Back