Heavy Ordnance Grade Basic 8 . . . HOGB8 . . . Specs, Pricing, & Pics!!!

I'm studying these clip options and honestly, I don't know what to think- First thing, what would I use this knife for? all-arounder/ chopping right? Thick, heavy, should chop like a mother right? It's not for filleting fish but could whack through a leg bone or complete a "Rob's Chopping challenge" somewhat
The long clip looks like it would bring balance back to the hand but would I want that in a chopper? I''m kind of leaning in the middle with the short clip and that's probably from an aesthetic POV more than anything- Spending another $55 to lose weight doesn't seem to make sense to this piglet, am I missing something?

I'm gonna spring for one Combat Grade...thanks Will, Stumpy, Tom, et. al.

oh, also...thanks Jerry!;)

I'm studying these clip options and honestly, I don't know what to think- First thing, what would I use this knife for? all-arounder/ chopping right? Thick, heavy, should chop like a mother right? It's not for filleting fish but could whack through a leg bone or complete a "Rob's Chopping challenge" somewhat
The long clip looks like it would bring balance back to the hand but would I want that in a chopper? I''m kind of leaning in the middle with the short clip and that's probably from an aesthetic POV more than anything- Spending another $55 to lose weight doesn't seem to make sense to this piglet, am I missing something?

This isnt helpful at all and I hope some smarter hogs will chime in, but I want one because I love the specs and if the only use ends up being fondling and storing so be it :eek::cool::D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The long clip version looks like a great all-rounder to me. Pointy enough to stab. Thick enough to pry the nose off the Sphinx. Blade-heavy enough to chop. And choil lets you choke forward far enough for delicate work (along with the flat grind).

You really have to handle a War Feather to get it. Even at .22” blade thickness, the forward weight makes it a nice chopper with a very snappy action—easily clips off 1”+ dia green branches with a flick of the wrist.
3D10B249-1A0F-4BA2-A91C-37E538B8A79A.jpeg

With .35” blade thickness on a .23” tang, forward chopping weight is not something you’re gonna be worried about—it’ll be there in spades. What you’ll GAIN is quickness and handling. Also, the long clip puts the point well down into the primary grind, which makes the point significantly thinner for MUCH better penetration. The War Feather blade profile IMO is a natural match for this set-up. Should be an incredible performer.

Looks like Jerry has also reduced the angle of drop between handle and blade from the original Basic profile, which will increase quickness as well. Put that together with the WF clip, and I predict a deceptively fast blade for this beast. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You really have to handle a War Feather to get it. Even at .22” blade thickness, the forward weight makes it a nice chopper with a very snappy action—easily clips off 1”+ dia green branches with a flick of the wrist.
View attachment 774809

With .35” blade thickness on a .23” tang, forward weight is not something you’re gonna be worried about—it’ll be there in spades. What you WILL gain is speed and handling. Also, the long clip puts the point well down into the primary grind, which makes the point significantly thinner for MUCH better penetration. The War Feather blade profile IMO is a natural match for this set-up. Should be an incredible performer.

Wow, talk about adding fuel to the fire :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, talk about adding fuel to the fire :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oops—added a little to that post while you were quoting. I really do think reducing the drop angle between handle and blade was a stroke of genius on Jerry’s part. Should be a huge payoff in handling.

Is there any advantage to having a penetrator tip on the standard blade shape?

Lol you can't go wrong really. Might be getting a original and a long clip thanks to Wills post haha.

Congrats to all that pulled for this model for so many years!!!!! If there was a choil-less version I would be all over this. As it is my cash is safe.
I'd love a long-clip choil-less B8 in the original thickness. In the .35" version, I think the big choil actually makes a lot of sense to allow you to choke up to the balance point for fine work.

BAM! Dropped the hammer, bossman.

For those on a budget...remember these are FFG, so they will make great looking strippers! Coated War Feather, for me please!

Back