Help make my new knife Old GAW....sort of

Geweldig dat je Nederlands spreekt!

I can't promise anything about stamppot, cause it's more of a dish for colder weather. But how about some Dutch snacks: a frikandel speciaal and a kroket :D

CmlRxR2.jpg

Now you've got me curious :p
Thanks for the pics Zolthar :thumbsup:

Last evening my wife and I went out with several couples to Duluth, Minnesota (not far from where I live) and did a "tourist" thing - we took a tour of the Duluth Harbor on the Vista King, with dinner and music. It has been many years since I've done a tour of the harbor and the great weather (68 and sunny) made it especially enjoyable. Of course Scotty was able to join in; here are some pics from the evening:

Just before we shoved off: The Minnesota Slip Bridge and in the background the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge, a local landmark since 1901.
IMG_8005.jpg

On the harbor with a "laker" ore boat in the background. This one is the MV Indiana Harbor, 1,000 feet long, carrying iron ore from Minnesota's Iron Range to steel mills at the end of the Great Lakes.
IMG_8006.jpg

Another century-old structure, the Duluth Ore Docks
IMG_8011.jpg

Some evening views from around the harbor - ore docks in the background, tugboats ready for service, and a "salty" taking on cargo before it heads east.
IMG_8016.jpg IMG_8028.jpg IMG_8030.jpg

A different angle of the Aerial Lift Bridge
IMG_8032.jpg

It was a great evening of BBQ and bluegrass music, friends having fun, and Scotty along for the show. Didn't get a photo of Scotty up to his elbows in BBQ as the same thing was happening to me; good thing one of us cleans up nice. Cheers from the Northland! DAVID

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpg
    IMG_8033.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
I was in Duluth again yesterday and passed by the Duluth Depot, which houses the Lake Superior Train Museum. They were preparing for this weekend’s Festival of Steam so I was unable to get too close, but Scotty and I did score a few glimpses of great old trains:
C2FEB523-6B12-4071-AB08-3FE810CDB7D3.jpeg AF22B064-6C0E-47D5-B633-48647C8163E9.jpeg 9847E3D7-70AF-4099-A6B5-A434297B14A6.jpeg DD086C9C-E378-4FAE-9810-B954B9D5BF94.jpeg 8DFD725A-266C-4189-9B28-7FCAC45D3543.jpeg 57EF0FF7-3C5E-49F3-96D7-0914B8791ECE.jpeg A2B0569C-90C5-4442-90CA-430490CDDD05.jpeg

Well I had some big plans for catching and filleting fish then doing a walleye fry, but between my wife (35th anniversary last weekend) and my clients (non-stop crises), I haven’t had time for fishing.

I was trying to get a good pic of the knife with last evening’s sunset but they didn’t turn out. Here’s what we were looking at (no filter):
A4AC3AC2-CA10-474C-8EC9-64B3A05BB46B.jpeg

I’m sending Scotty back home for arrival with time to spare, and as I do I want to thank zolthar zolthar for including me as a stopover. I have a new appreciation for this little multi-blade knife, it’s an easy carry and useful user. I hope Jim enjoys the patina!
A62AF5F4-4294-46FB-AA95-DFCB5D7B2A74.jpeg

The Porch sure is a nice place to engage with folks near and far; I never regret the time I spend here. Thanks everyone! David

Well I had some big plans for catching and filleting fish then doing a walleye fry, but between my wife (35th anniversary last weekend) and my clients (non-stop crises), I haven’t had time for fishing.

I was trying to get a good pic of the knife with last evening’s sunset but they didn’t turn out. Here’s what we were looking at (no filter):
View attachment 1167848

I’m sending Scotty back home for arrival with time to spare, and as I do I want to thank zolthar zolthar for including me as a stopover. I have a new appreciation for this little multi-blade knife, it’s an easy carry and useful user. I hope Jim enjoys the patina!
View attachment 1167847

The Porch sure is a nice place to engage with folks near and far; I never regret the time I spend here. Thanks everyone! David
You're welcome David, I sure did enjoy your posts, so thank you too. :thumbsup::cool:

Scotty is on his way back. Grandpa turns 102 this coming Friday. I wanted the knife to be out there for a year and be back in time for his birthday. There was a little hiccup and somewhere in the world is the first knife. But thanks to all who took a turn or tossed your name in the hat to put some age on Scotty. Some of the places he visited left me jealous. I’m thinking about another loaner GAW where you get a 50 year old male to house for a month at a time:confused:

But now I’m wondering what to do with the knife. I thought about carrying it everyday until Grandad dies, but the way he’s going that might be another 10 years! But when that happens I did think about sending it off with him. What person wouldn’t want a well traveled knife for the next adventure in their life? And who knows, he may not like it where he’s going and a good knife may be needed to escapeo_O Or I could just continue to use it, while looking at his original Frontier and continue to add memories.

6-A124901-9-F03-415-C-8480-BEEA301-C00-C9.jpg

I won’t be there for his birthday, but I did see him twice since March, so that’s OK. I’ll be camping up at Priest Lake in Idaho. Scotty will definitely be on the trip and I’ll make sure he gets used and exposed to some beautiful scenery.

Not certain wether I'll be on the Porch or not next Friday (I'm travelling on a Brit motorbike, y' know, so nothing 's sure), so , HAPPY B'DAY GRANDPA. It's been a joy to use your knife! She's is a hell of a knife, the kind you 'll never loan even to a close friend, so I feel happy I could use and test her! :thumbsup:

So a package arrived today from Minnesota, AKA Packer territory:D. I knew what it was because David gave me some heads up. I decided to pull out Grandad's knife and use it to open the package. The blades were pretty dull but it worked. David wrote, with exceptional penmanship, a letter he sent along with Scotty and a hat, which will go along on the upcoming camping trip.

84-DA2603-36-B8-437-D-B10-E-AD2-F90-E04-A25.jpg

Check out the patina you guys gave it:thumbsup: Happy to have it back for sure.

Mark had sent along a Victorinox Dutch Army Knife from ‘92, along with a note on the back of this card. I knew that was coming too and I can’t express enough appreciation for the gift.

CD271-BBB-8-F20-4-D72-8780-42-EBDFACA674.jpg

Really looking forward to adding to the patina on the Frontier. And the DAK is going to Priest Lake too:thumbsup:

Thanks for getting it back with some headwear for my bald head dcpritch dcpritch and for the DAK zolthar zolthar

Happy birthday to your grandfather 315 315 ! As others said before me, it's a great knife and a joy to use. :cool::thumbsup:

Reactions: 315
Thanks Mark! He made it to 102, as far as I knowo_O. I’ll call a bit later to wish him a happy birthday. Scotty will be headed out camping in Northern Idaho for the next week, truck packed and ready to go! If I can find some willow on the river bank I’ll have to try making a whistle, the way Grandad did with his old Frontier when he took me fishing as a kid.

29-F438-BF-E0-BB-4-BAA-B703-470-FEACE2-ACD.jpg

So glad the package made it to you, especially to be in time for your camping trip. I hope you have a great time in the woods and on the water. Thanks again for letting me be a one-time user of this special knife, and for the opportunity to connect with a good number of the great folks on this board. DAVID

Back